PSU: Smacktard.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2014-03-21, 06:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
AwkdShellfish
Private

Network issues, causing disconnects...

First and foremost I want to thank you for all of those that have helped me with my build. I posted probably a year ago and since then I've had a wonderful experience with this rig. Planetside 2, of course, being a big part of that great experience I've come to enjoy. (Except for those late nights where those purple people dominate pop' in Connery. )

That enjoyment ended today when the landlord decided to move the internet modem, from Time Warner Cable, from my room, into the living room, which is about, say 15-20 feet away. Before that, I was happily using a wired connection with 50 down, 5-10 up. So now I have to rely on a wireless connection for all my internet needs, and so far my 'net needs have far exceeded what my connection range currently offer. The signal coming from the wireless modem has to bounce itself around a few corners and through my room door 15-20 feet away.

The TWC issue modem is this one right here. At the moment I am connected to the internet by plugging in a Cat 5e cable to this ASUS RT-N12/D1 Wireless-N300 router from my rig; having the router being placed near my room door on the floor, because it is the closest distance to the wireless modem where I can "catch" the wireless signal coming from modem. With this setup I can stream stuff ok, but when it comes to gaming, boy, talk about lag and slowdown and eventually disconnects.

The only games I really play nowadays are PS2 and LoL. Not only that but often times I download media on my Virtual Machine and leave several Virtual Machines all on at the same time doing Window Updates or occupying the same bandwidth on the same PC, while playing PS2 or LoL just to pass the time waiting on whatever download that needs to finish. With this recent change to wireless I can't do all that anymore, but seems like I have to leave the PC running only one thing at a time, which is VERY time consuming.

Now, the only solution I can come up with is to buy a new, stronger router, to replace that ASUS RT-N12/D1 Wireless-N300, unless someone else has a better idea? Problem is I'm not sure as to which router that can best utilize the Arris' Wireless potential. From reading the specs it seems that wireless modem doesn't have the 5GHz, just the regular 2.4GHz.

But whatever it is, currently I can connect to the net fine, it's just when gaming/multitasking on the net, I get lag and drops. The signal detection is there, just weak. Is the only solution now is to buy a new router? Even so, will that be enough to pick up a better signal coming from the living room 20 ft?

Thank you!
Old 2014-03-21, 08:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Re: Network issues, causing disconnects...

Is it possible for you to just buy a 30 foot ethernet cord and plug in your computer directly the the TWC modem? In my opinion how you are setup right now is causing the issue, that would be the simplest remedy to this. Also do your roommates have any connection issues at all?
Old 2014-03-21, 08:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
AwkdShellfish
Private

Trust me bro, if I could I would, but unfortunately running the ethernet cable would require me to buy an 80ft-100ft cord because of all of the bends going around the inside of the house. That would mean through the living room, through the kitchen, through the hallway, into my bedroom. The landlord doesn't want me poking holes or prying off the baseboards of the house just to lay a simple ethernet cable, so my options are pretty much wireless now. That Asus router is pretty weak. Whether it's wired or wireless I only get like 100 Mbps. I'm not very knowledgable on networking, so I was kinda surprised I was able to connect to the net using an ethernet cable connected to a router, and moving the router closer to the modem, however much I can in my room.

My roomies don't game or download or do anything like that, at least to the extent of what I'm doing. Nobody here in this household knows what a virtual machine is or rather what PS2 is

I'm willing to shell out $100 or more, but no more than $200 for a router as a solution, if there is a wireless solution, however I'd prefer not to, unless I can tweak my current Asus router with some kind of software upgrade (DDRT?) to further enhance the speed at which it can potentially run.

At the moment, I'm all out of practical ideas.
Old 2014-03-21, 10:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
AwkdShellfish
Private

Ok NVM problem solved. It seems there is a hidden ethernet cable somewhere in my room which happens to have great access to where the modem is now, which was moved from the living room to another bed room in the house. That room is at the other end of the house, however I can get a wired connection to it, which is freaking awesome. Only thing that might be a problem is that the Patch Cord is Cat 5 and not Cat5e. Not sure if it will make a difference or not, but I have it connected to my Asus router and split into two different computers. I will probably have to recheck with it directly connected to my rig and see how well it performs. Will update as I have more info!
Old 2017-03-10, 11:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
KillDeer
Private

Because this thread came up on google when searching for network issues I wanted to include some information that other searching people might find useful.

My experience is Planetside 2 hates the 5ghz network band, and 2.4ghz is only marginally better, but it is better.

Wired connection is best and if you dont have the ability to run an Ethernet cable look into powerline adapters. They work great when you are in the same house, but dont work at all if you are in a guest house with a separate breaker panel, so be sure of that.

I have used these particular adapters successfully at our old house, I'm now wired directly to the modem.

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Power...erline+adapter
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum