Cockpit and Driver View comparison thread. - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: everything the official forums aren't.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-05-16, 04:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #46
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Cockpit and Driver View comparison thread.

Driving a thresher without 3rd person view was somewhat challenging though. Especially for backwards or strafing movements.
Old 2012-05-16, 11:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #47
Xyntech
Brigadier General

I'd be more than happy to petition the devs during beta to let us test (as well as attempt to exploit) 3rd person view on land vehicles.

At the same time, I'd like everyone to give locked first person vehicle driving a try. Once you aren't able to rely on 3rd person, you would be surprised how well your brain can adapt, especially if there is a freelook feature (there really needs to be a freelook feature for it to work well).

If the field of view from inside a tank is terrible, that will be a problem, but it doesn't look that way in the GDC footage.

Honestly, I'd go the opposite way with aircraft as well. I'd like for the devs to turn the 3rd person option off for aircraft for a part of the beta, so we can test to see if it really is essential for aircraft.

Really, my first choice is that land and air vehicles have the same system. Either both have 3rd person, or neither do. If I had to pick one of the two to exclusively have 3rd person, it would be aircraft, and not because I'm a pilot, but my first choice is still that they both be the same, one way or the other.
Old 2012-05-21, 10:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #48
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Updated.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2012-05-21, 01:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
RSphil
Contributor
Major

if people want realism then force cockpit mode. tanks and aircraft of today have fair to crap visibility. and for those saying that future aircraft would have poly cockpits are wrong :P
aircraft of the future wouldnt have pilots and poly cockpits would not be strong enough for high caliber/high velocity rounds.

i always play cockpit no matter what i play. after years of playing combat flight sims you get used to looking around and using what you have. this also makes team work a priority,in aces high you rely on the guys you fly with to watch your six and help if needed. with up to 200 aircraft in the sky team work is a must. every one should be looking for one another aswell as them selfs. i also think it should be forced on ground vehicles aswell. not fair if you are sneaking up on a tank to blow it up ect and the tank driver is on 3rd person mode and just turns round and blows you into next week or just runs over you.
Old 2012-05-21, 01:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Added Scythe. Who bets the VS now fully support forced cockpits? LOL

Old 2012-05-21, 01:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
SniperSteve
First Lieutenant

You should update the mossie one from the night combat footage as it is different than the one you show on the OP.
Old 2012-05-21, 02:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Originally Posted by SniperSteve View Post
You should update the mossie one from the night combat footage as it is different than the one you show on the OP.
Put it up and I will edit. I am at work. Thanks!

Old 2012-05-21, 02:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
Kurtz
Master Sergeant

looks like the VS have a slight advantage with a little more open view in the bottom corners.
Old 2012-05-21, 03:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
Mechzz
Major

I've tried Firefox and IE but can't see the Scythe image in either.
Any suggestions on what I can try to fix it?
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-05-21, 03:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Evil Redrum
PlanetSide 2
Artist

Originally Posted by Mechzz View Post
I've tried Firefox and IE but can't see the Scythe image in either.
Any suggestions on what I can try to fix it?
http://twitpic.com/9nr4nh/full

It isn't showing up in that post on chrome either.
Old 2012-05-21, 03:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
Elude
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
No. People who enjoyed them would use them. Would you disable weapon models if you could? I wouldn't. They aren't restrictive enough to worry about.
Yes I would disable them if I could. I'll take any advantage I can get even if it is in the slightest amount.

Keep weapons and cockpits on please, otherwise I will turn them off if they are toggleable.

Last edited by Elude; 2012-05-21 at 03:32 PM.
Old 2012-05-21, 05:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by EVILPIG View Post
Added Scythe. Who bets the VS now fully support forced cockpits? LOL
I guess it's too much to hope that I'll be able to see NC and TR shish kebabs from my Scythe cockpit view.
Old 2012-05-21, 05:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
Timealude
Captain

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
I guess it's too much to hope that I'll be able to see NC and TR shish kebabs from my Scythe cockpit view.
I dont mind as long as you fly support for me in my galaxy :P
Old 2012-05-21, 06:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
Blackwolf
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by cellinaire View Post
Hmm, I don't mind if it's forced or toggleable. But I also had to wonder,

does the 'toggleable' option give a specific faction some noticeable advantage? Why? It's not even like giving VS weaponry 10% damage boost or something like it.

I mean, toggleable or forced, it affects all players. Why would it create such a balance issue?

(** and no, I'm not talking about the '1st person with cockpit / 1st person without cockpit' here. It's actually about the '1st person with cockpit / 3rd person')
Balance issue comes from potential use and counter use. Player A using it against player B holds an unfair advantage because player B can't use it to counter player A in any given situation.

You couldn't say that if player A had an assault rifle weapon and engaged player B at AR range. Either player B has one, or he doesn't. And if he has one, he either uses it or he doesn't. Likewise with crouching behind cover, both sides can use it to mitigate the damage they take from the other. 3rd person is strictly 1 sided in most scenarios.
Old 2012-05-21, 06:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
Blackwolf
First Lieutenant

So you're also against modifiable field of views, widescreen support, three monitors, head tracking, and joysticks?

All things that give a distinct advantage. Far more than a toggle cockpit. Should those things be unsupported? Or are advantages only bad if they are free? In that case, I'll pay $10 for the flying camera view. Now theres a disadvantage to it, and a reason to use the cockpit.
Side views are probably going to be restricted by cockpit models as much as front views are. If someone has 3 monitors, their only real advantage would be that they don't have to "look around" manually. And I fail to see how Joysticks would provide any more of an advantage then just using a mouse, other then adding yet more immersion.

WoTs 3rd person camera is nothing like PS1s. PS1s locked behind the vehicle. It couldn't be moved, panned, zoomed, nothing. WoTs is quite ridiculous, tbh, for a game that goes the extra mile to be realistic.

I spent hundreds of hours in a tank. I used the vehicle camera to see over hills maybe a handful of times. I used 3rd person as infantry in a backdoor hallway literally every single time. The way PS1 had it set up it simply wasn't useful at all for intel on vehicles. It was just useful for driving. Had a bit wider FoV, and could see if you were going to clear obstacles easily.

There is a reason why its in literally every vehicle game. Someone, name one game with ground vehicles that does not have third person. I cannot think of one right now.
I used 3rd person view to keep an eye on infantry around me while driving a tank. Keeping myself from getting hacked, and driving around with DL on patrolling for cloakers. In aircraft I used it often for ambushing, also came in handy in dogfights, keeping an eye on aircraft while attempting to out maneuver them.

Just because you had a very limited imagination and set of experiences in the game, doesn't mean everyone did. 3rd POV helped me out a LOT in vehicles, more then when hoofing it in fact. Am I crying because I can't use it? No. I really wish they would take it off of aircraft in fact.

Originally Posted by Knocky View Post
Flight mechanics are going to be more realistic.

I do not have a joystick.

Should I ask that joystick support should be removed "because it gives people an advantage over those without it."?
Again, how would a joystick give someone a better advantage then people with a mouse? If you THINK it gives a better advantage, buy one. You can get a cheap one for 20 bucks as proof of concept. This is an excuse, a weak one at that.

Would be ok with the idea of an equipment module that enabled the no cockpit/3rd person camera? Now its not free, you have to pay for it and its downside is not fitting something else there. The technology is plausible, or at least already existent in the game, so it fits RP and 'immersion'.

I'd much prefer them to be stock, but heck, I'll take anything I can get at this point.
No. Darklight required a implant slot but that didn't stop 90% of the player base from equipping it. Stamina in City of Heros was so over used that the DEVs just said "eff it, we'll give it to everyone for free". Everyone had to purchase 2 other powers before getting stamina but everyone did it because yes it was that vital.

You aren't offering a viable compromise with the "make it something you can purchase" bit. Instead, you are whining more and practically begging. Were I you, I'd be freaking red in the face from embarrassment.

I'm not trying to be an ass here. I'm just kinda tired of seeing the same argument and pitched idea over the same old crap over an over. Also tired of the various excuses "I'm not upset that my view is obstructed! I just think it's ugly/designed in the '30s". Your crying because you can't have your way.

Last edited by Blackwolf; 2012-05-21 at 06:43 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion