Flak Gunning Infantry and Universal Launcher - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: How did Hitler really loose that testicle?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-05-17, 04:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
TheGodCanine
Private

Flak Gunning Infantry and Universal Launcher

I would like to say Hello to everyone on Planetside 2 Forum.

Now,on to the discussion on recent PS2 Footage

Flak Gunning Infantry

While we all know Infantry can be a threat to Air Vehicles in PS2,I was never expecting them to have a whole dam portable Flak Cannon to shoot down aircraft.

Universal Launcher
The Anti Vehicle Launcher in this game is shown to be Universal.Can shoot and destroy vehicles just like a normal Launcher put also have the ability to work like a Javelin to lock on to ground vehicles.Same goes for Air Vehicles as well work close range AA.They are basically an all in one Launcher.

Discuss.
Old 2012-05-17, 04:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Gogita
Master Sergeant

Re: Flak Gunning Infantry and Universal Launcher

How about if you add your opinions and issues on those weapons, instead of only asking other people to discuss?
Old 2012-05-17, 04:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Duddy
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by TheGodCanine View Post
I would like to say Hello to everyone on Planetside 2 Forum.

Now,on to the discussion on recent PS2 Footage

Flak Gunning Infantry

While we all know Infantry can be a threat to Air Vehicles in PS2,I was never expecting them to have a whole dam portable Flak Cannon to shoot down aircraft.

Universal Launcher
The Anti Vehicle Launcher in this game is shown to be Universal.Can shoot and destroy vehicles just like a normal Launcher put also have the ability to work like a Javelin to lock on to ground vehicles.Same goes for Air Vehicles as well work close range AA.They are basically an all in one Launcher.

Discuss.
That isn't actually an infantry equip-able flak cannon. It's actually used on a MAX unit, which is essentially a slow powered exoskeleton weapon platform. So you won't be seeing those everywhere unless they're all in MAX suits.

It pretty much is a universal anti vehicular weapon, though as you may have noticed it isn't particularly effective at range, making it more of a defensive weapon.
Old 2012-05-17, 04:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Stardouser
Colonel

Welcome to the forums! Yet another Battlefield refugee seeing the light.

As far as we know, there is no hated Disabling. Also, it took a lot of shots in Planetside 1 to kill vehicles, though I confess, we don't know what the vehicle TTK is in PS2 yet.
Old 2012-05-17, 04:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
TheGodCanine
Private

Originally Posted by Gogita View Post
How about if you add your opinions and issues on those weapons, instead of only asking other people to discuss?
Oh forgot my opinions,my bad.

The Portable Flak Cannons for Infantry,I quite like it.I was kinda expecting the Infantry AA forces to just be a launcher with a lock on ability but seeing the Flak Cannon Infantry,I was quite impress that it more awards my aim rather than relying on lock on warfare.

The Universal Launcher,I kinda have mix thoughts on it in terms of being able to lock on to ground vehicles.

It's easy for Aircraft to fly away from these things,not so with a ground vehicle.

Edit: Just learn the Flak Cannon are part of the Max Suits.

Originally Posted by Duddy View Post
That isn't actually an infantry equip-able flak cannon. It's actually used on a MAX unit, which is essentially a slow powered exoskeleton weapon platform. So you won't be seeing those everywhere unless they're all in MAX suits.

Last edited by TheGodCanine; 2012-05-17 at 04:25 PM.
Old 2012-05-17, 04:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Mechzz
Major

The burster flak cannon seemed quite similar to the PS1 version. Looked fun to use!

I like the universal launcher. Infantry need some way to defend themselves against tanks and planes and that looked just the ticket. The scythe was able to afterburner away, which is cool, but it seemed to do a fair amount of damage when it hit. Can't wait to down a few hovering reavers and mossies with it.
Old 2012-05-17, 05:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Atheosim
Captain

It seems like each empire will have a wide selection of different AV weapon functionality, from laser deg to fly-by-wire to camera guided to heat seeking fire and forget. This type of launcher I'm sure will be available to everyone, but I'm doubly sure that it will be heavily modifiable.
Old 2012-05-17, 07:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Sifer2
Major

Honestly I am a tad worried by how universal the weapons seemed to be in general in this beta footage. The Flak cannons seem like they would be good at killing everything infantry included. The turret on the tank was also just as good at killing other tanks almost as it was at killing aircraft. And aimed low enough i'm sure it would blow away infantry no problem. And now it appears its pretty easy for a grunt to C4 a tank. Universal launcher is ironically the least universal weapon he used since at least it looks like it would be hard to kill infantry with it.

So its looking like at least in this beta that the traditional idea of specialized roles for taking out Infantry/Vehicles/Aircraft has been completely thrown out the window.
Old 2012-05-17, 07:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Toppopia
Major

Originally Posted by Sifer2 View Post
Honestly I am a tad worried by how universal the weapons seemed to be in general in this beta footage. The Flak cannons seem like they would be good at killing everything infantry included. The turret on the tank was also just as good at killing other tanks almost as it was at killing aircraft. And aimed low enough i'm sure it would blow away infantry no problem. And now it appears its pretty easy for a grunt to C4 a tank. Universal launcher is ironically the least universal weapon he used since at least it looks like it would be hard to kill infantry with it.

So its looking like at least in this beta that the traditional idea of specialized roles for taking out Infantry/Vehicles/Aircraft has been completely thrown out the window.
Why is it bad that grunts can C4 a tank? You arn't meant to be alone in a tank, you should be surrounded by other teammates and thats good if you can C4 tanks, it means that you don't get owned by them every single time, like in BF3 when the driver somehow knew you were there by using 3rd person view, that was soo annoying and stupid, its up to the teammates or the gunner to protect from threats like that.
Old 2012-05-17, 07:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Sifer2
Major

I don't have a problem with it personally. I'm just using it to make a point that it seems like everyone can kill everything now. Also I have a knee jerk hatred for anything involving C4 after all the ridiculous **** I have seen people do with it in the battlefield series. Especially on friendly fire off servers. Thank god Planetside 2 is FF on all the time.
Old 2012-05-17, 07:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Toppopia
Major

I don't have a problem with it personally. I'm just using it to make a point that it seems like everyone can kill everything now. Also I have a knee jerk hatred for anything involving C4 after all the ridiculous **** I have seen people do with it in the battlefield series. Especially on friendly fire off servers. Thank god Planetside 2 is FF on all the time.
My brother would get C4 and put it on his jeep then crash the jeep into a tank then jump out and explode it, he would always die but what a fun way to kill tanks. KAMIKAZE!!
Old 2012-05-17, 09:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
CutterJohn
Colonel

I was quite happy with it. PS1 went way too far making weapons worthless outside of their given roles/engagement ranges.
Old 2012-05-17, 09:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Bromaxulon
Private

While I have no issues with the weapons targeting both aircraft and tanks, I do any an issues with both the NC launcher and the VS fusion having identical weapon profiles. Both weapons function exactly the same, and even have similar targeting reticules.
Old 2012-05-17, 09:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Bromaxulon View Post
While I have no issues with the weapons targeting both aircraft and tanks, I do any an issues with both the NC launcher and the VS fusion having identical weapon profiles. Both weapons function exactly the same, and even have similar targeting reticules.
I'd rather have empire specific looks to otherwise identical weapons than constantly rely on most things being common pool.

That being said, I do prefer more uniqueness, so I am interested to see how the two weapons differ.

PS1 did suffer from having some weapons be a little too unique for their own good, with some empires having enormous gaps or advantages in certain roles. Hopefully they don't get rid of that entirely, but I wouldn't mind seeing a few of the gaps shortened a bit.
Old 2012-05-18, 12:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
PeteHMB
Sergeant

Empire specific advantages and disadvantages were part of the fun in my opinion. It meant that people actually had to try and come up with tactics and coordination instead of just bumrushing (though that happened plenty anyway). Think about it: TR would run around and lock on aircraft, but had limited range with the Strikers. Vs could Lancer snipe aircraft, but it was difficult to do. NC could hit hovering aircraft from cover, but that was about it. On the other hand, shifting indoors the NC Jackhammer did very well in towers and hallways and CQB situations. Lashers were great for sort of AOE damage indoors, but basically sucked outdoors at range. MCGs were great medium to short range heavy assault weapons. Everything being situational meant you had to think a lot more if you wanted to survive.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion