Thrustpad [Jump Pad] Poll - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Daily spawning reports.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you want Jump Pads (as seen)?
Yes 105 56.45%
No 81 43.55%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-05-17, 07:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
Toppopia
Major

Re: Jump Pad Poll

Originally Posted by Sledgecrushr View Post
That would be like getting fired out of a cannon while inside a beer can. I like the jump pads because there is a bit of risk using them while you are in a fight and it would be fun to use them to quickly move about the outer defensive perimeter. Did I mention that it looked to be a lot of fun?
I think this idea still has you flying unprotected, but it looks better than a glowing pad on the ground that magically flings you through the air.
Old 2012-05-17, 07:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
Here is my current idea for improving the jump pads.

Originally Posted by Toppopia View Post
Yip, perfect, allows organised people to do a proper assault, not 1 person flying at a time, and would look awesome and removes funny bird people flying through the air
Theres already funny bird people going to be flying all over, we have jet packs.
Old 2012-05-17, 07:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Originally Posted by Toppopia View Post
I think this idea still has you flying unprotected, but it looks better than a glowing pad on the ground that magically flings you through the air.
Magically flying? What about the magically floating magriders? Come on now this is sci fi and in sci fi anything and everything is possible.
Old 2012-05-17, 07:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #64
Toppopia
Major

Magically flying? What about the magically floating magriders? Come on now this is sci fi and in sci fi anything and everything is possible.
Magriders arn't flying magically, they are flying on childrens dreams

But the teleport tube looks cool though, i don't really care, as long as nothing bad happens when i use the pad like falling short of towers or falling long of them or smashing into someone and falling or getting stuck, then i don't care much.
Old 2012-05-17, 07:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #65
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Well first time tb used the jump pad he came up short and had to use his jump packs to finish his trip to the tower. I think we are going to have some speed and directional control while we are being flung through the air.

And just the fact that if you are not paying attention and playing the game something bad could happen while you are going through the air. While a teleport pad seems to take some of the gameplay out of it.

Last edited by Sledgecrushr; 2012-05-17 at 07:20 PM.
Old 2012-05-17, 07:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #66
Graywolves
General

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
Here is my current idea for improving the jump pads.

Pretty close to one of the ideas I was thinking. I like this, just needs to be big enough to hold a few people per launch and not stacked on top of each other.
Old 2012-05-17, 07:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #67
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Originally Posted by Graywolves View Post
Pretty close to one of the ideas I was thinking. I like this, just needs to be big enough to hold a few people per launch and not stacked on top of each other.

So you would rather be on a beer can ride than have added gamplay elements?
Old 2012-05-17, 07:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #68
Stardouser
Colonel

What you guys are forgetting is, aside from the direct ramifications of jump pads, they aren't needed. When your base is not under attack but an attack is incoming, you have plenty of time to run to where you are needed. And once an attack begins, and the enemy has captured one of the base's capture points, there will then be a front line, wherein after you die you simply need to choose the spawn point closest to the enemy held sections of the base.
Old 2012-05-17, 07:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #69
Graywolves
General

So you would rather be on a beer can ride than have added gamplay elements?
It's the same thing as a jump pad just 'evolved' a bit more. Can be used better with organization and less accident prone. Plus if you put it at the edge of the roof top there is now more space to use.

It doesn't need to be a tube ride or send you into another tube. It can propel players out into a cone(like cone of fire) no larger or barely larger than the landing area itself so that they are more spread out enroute and not shot down by one guy holding down his mouse key.

-edit- and yes I like the idea of telling my squad to get inside the beer can.
Old 2012-05-17, 07:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #70
Figment
Lieutenant General

The alternative would be ladders or stairs or the cave telepads we had in PS1.

Given the choice between telepads and jump boosters, the latter makes it easier to follow a target and estimate where it will go.

Will it give a combat advantage? Maybe to the light assaults, who could use them to initiate a jetpack flight, maybe. On the other hand, you could see it as a it of a compensation to non-jetpack units to get quickly to the walls.

Wonder if people bounce off of eachother or collide in mid air if they all try to use them at once. :P
Old 2012-05-17, 07:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #71
kaffis
Contributor
Major

As I said in the other thread, I'd prefer it if the horizontal ones were only fully effective (able to get from platform to platform) for LA because they required supplemental boost from a jetpack to make it the full distance.
Old 2012-05-17, 07:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #72
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Originally Posted by Graywolves View Post
It's the same thing as a jump pad just 'evolved' a bit more. Can be used better with organization and less accident prone. Plus if you put it at the edge of the roof top there is now more space to use.

It doesn't need to be a tube ride or send you into another tube. It can propel players out into a cone(like cone of fire) no larger or barely larger than the landing area itself so that they are more spread out enroute and not shot down by one guy holding down his mouse key.

-edit- and yes I like the idea of telling my squad to get inside the beer can.
I know for a fact that coming off of a jump pad you do have speed control. Without verification I would assume that you would have some directional control as you travel, something like the cone effect that you are talking about.
Old 2012-05-17, 07:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #73
Soothsayer
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
What you guys are forgetting is, aside from the direct ramifications of jump pads, they aren't needed. When your base is not under attack but an attack is incoming, you have plenty of time to run to where you are needed. And once an attack begins, and the enemy has captured one of the base's capture points, there will then be a front line, wherein after you die you simply need to choose the spawn point closest to the enemy held sections of the base.
But they are needed. Going along the base walls repairing turrets or setting up defenses is a huge hassle in PS1 and those bases are tiny compared to the ones we're seeing.

Getting where you need to go quickly when out of combat is HUGE and if you are spending less time doing menial stuff you are spending less time out of the fight and by extension, less time not experiencing the things that people are actually playing the game for.

Spawn points as a means of getting around the base is flawed because it either necessitates dying or finding another spawn point to deconstruct at.

Last edited by Soothsayer; 2012-05-17 at 07:44 PM. Reason: "out of", saw double negative, decided to keep it in
Old 2012-05-17, 07:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #74
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Soothsayer View Post
But they are needed. Going along the base walls repairing turrets or setting up defenses is a huge hassle in PS1 and those bases are tiny compared to the ones we're seeing.

Getting where you need to go quickly when out of combat is HUGE and if you are spending less time doing menial stuff you are spending less time out of the fight and by extension, less time not experiencing the things that people are actually playing the game for.

Spawn points as a means of getting around the base is flawed because it either necessitates dying or finding another spawn point to deconstruct at.
First, let's separate this out into people doing actual combat, and people doing repairs. For people doing actual combat defense, respawning is fine as a tactic for getting around, because they will be dying.

For people doing repairs, I simply don't agree. What is the point of having a large scale game but then nullifying the large scale with things like this? I also disagree that you will be spending time doing menial things, and such times as people do in fact do as you say, it will be by choice. Repairing is a menial task to some people even if you can instantly teleport yourself to the next turret.

And not only that...in battles with many many players, are we really going to have just one guy doing repairs? And even if we were, do the conveniences of that one really justify this?

With a base this big, why do we have to treat fighting that occurs on the other side of the base as if it must be reachable instantly by everyone?

I truly believe that these features nullify the map size advantage Planetside has over other games. I'm sure the gunplay will be good and all, but scale is one of the biggest advantages Planetside will have. Why functionally shrink it?
Old 2012-05-17, 08:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #75
Soothsayer
Contributor
Sergeant Major

In response to your assertion that easy transport shrinks the game, I think that it does so only in ways that are positive.

When you're just trying to get around to get from a spawn point to your buddy's Prowler that you are gunning for, then its all good, you get there quick and nobody is waiting unnecessarily.

When your faction is pinned down in the middle of a three-way over a single base, the jump pads become what is possibly the first stage of the attack or the first point of defense. Where the distances were shrunk in a non-eventful setting, the jump pads focus attackers for a portion of the fight and it becomes another dimension to the fight.

To put it another way, it's only a free meal if there's nobody else to take it from you
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion