Aircraft Flares - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Shizzolate this thang!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-05-19, 11:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Toppopia
Major

Re: Aircraft Flares

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
The current system is just like every generic flare system, recharging ones. (AFAIK)

If you got to choose between flares that recharge at the rate of which an AA missile is reloaded or a limited amount of rapid fire flares, which one would you prefer?
Make a poll???
Old 2012-05-19, 11:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Timealude
Captain

How about making flares a side grade?
Old 2012-05-19, 11:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Toppopia
Major

Originally Posted by Timealude View Post
How about making flares a side grade?
Thats what they would be, choosing flares over some other defensive ability, like extra armor, and as long as our character says things like.

When you are being locked.
"We've got missile lock"
If you have flares equipped and use them.
"Launching flares"
Or.
"Flares away"

Little things like that that make your character not some mute who never talks. And adds a little extra 'something to gameplay' I'm mostly thinking of Modern Warfare 2 when you are assaulting the Gulag and the pilot says "Guns guns guns" when he starts firing.

Or Modern Warfare 3 when in the AC130 in Iron Lady, your character says "Shot Out!" Or someone remarks "Nice shot."

Something like that wouldn't help gameplay too much but will help immerse yourself better, and if you have passengers then they can hear you so it won't be completely useless.
Old 2012-05-19, 11:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Timealude
Captain

Originally Posted by Toppopia View Post
Thats what they would be, choosing flares over some other defensive ability, like extra armor, and as long as our character says things like.

When you are being locked.
"We've got missile lock"
If you have flares equipped and use them.
"Launching flares"
Or.
"Flares away"

Little things like that that make your character not some mute who never talks. And adds a little extra 'something to gameplay' I'm mostly thinking of Modern Warfare 2 when you are assaulting the Gulag and the pilot says "Guns guns guns" when he starts firing.

Or Modern Warfare 3 when in the AC130 in Iron Lady, your character says "Shot Out!" Or someone remarks "Nice shot."

Something like that wouldn't help gameplay too much but will help immerse yourself better, and if you have passengers then they can hear you so it won't be completely useless.
would also give them more of a reason to use an in game voice chat for inner vehicle com
Old 2012-05-19, 11:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Toppopia
Major

Originally Posted by Timealude View Post
would also give them more of a reason to use an in game voice chat for inner vehicle com
Hmm, I wonder if they will add a feature sort of like BF3, where gunner positions had their own counter measures for the aircraft, but i would rather a purely co-pilot role who handles all counter measures, since BF3 a jet being piloted by one person is stupid, do any of the aircraft in this have a co-pilot seat? Or are they all one seater? Because then co-pilots could activate counter measures while the pilot focuses on whats important. Killing as many people as possible.
Old 2012-05-20, 12:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Khorneholio
Private

I'm a big fan of the flares as a limited resource but usable at will idea.

This adds a whole new layer to a pilot's defensive strategy. It also opens up a variety of attack plans for AA soldiers: Stationing an AA unit under the flight path that the enemy aircraft will take to their nearest resupply point, and hitting them after they've made their attack run and exhausted all their defenses... harassing enemy craft with missile after missile, knowing you aren't going to hit, just so you can open up a shot for your buddy once you've forced the enemy to waste all their countermeasures.

It adds to player options and tactics, and differentiates PS2 from the simple Missile-Flare system that other popular shooters use.

-CDL- Dragonwolves
Old 2012-05-20, 12:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Toppopia
Major

Originally Posted by Khorneholio View Post
I'm a big fan of the flares as a limited resource but usable at will idea.

This adds a whole new layer to a pilot's defensive strategy. It also opens up a variety of attack plans for AA soldiers: Stationing an AA unit under the flight path that the enemy aircraft will take to their nearest resupply point, and hitting them after they've made their attack run and exhausted all their defenses... harassing enemy craft with missile after missile, knowing you aren't going to hit, just so you can open up a shot for your buddy once you've forced the enemy to waste all their countermeasures.

It adds to player options and tactics, and differentiates PS2 from the simple Missile-Flare system that other popular shooters use.
Like in BF3 me and my friends would take turns shooting the enemy jet so after it launched its flare, my friend would launch straight after so it didn't have time to use them again. But i would like limited flares. unlimited is asking for trouble.
Old 2012-05-20, 12:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
Timealude
Captain

Hmm, I wonder if they will add a feature sort of like BF3, where gunner positions had their own counter measures for the aircraft, but i would rather a purely co-pilot role who handles all counter measures, since BF3 a jet being piloted by one person is stupid, do any of the aircraft in this have a co-pilot seat? Or are they all one seater? Because then co-pilots could activate counter measures while the pilot focuses on whats important. Killing as many people as possible.
Like I said before I think only galaxies and liberators should have it, just for the fact that they cant out run AA as well as the fighters. The galaxies and liberators are already set up for other people so it wouldnt much if any to the dev time to just add flares to one of the gunners.
Old 2012-05-20, 12:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
The Kush
Captain

cooldown between flares but 30 is way too many 5 at most in my opinion

EDIT: Actually just have a cooldown, you can use a flare every x minutes depending on what balances the gae right
Old 2012-05-20, 12:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
Mechzz
Major

Originally Posted by Sledgecrushr View Post
I want missiles with radar lock.
Higby has talked in the past about sidegrades being available for heat-seeking, radar-guided, laser-guided and video-guided. Superb!
Old 2012-05-20, 12:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by The Kush View Post
cooldown between flares but 30 is way too many 5 at most in my opinion

EDIT: Actually just have a cooldown, you can use a flare every x minutes depending on what balances the gae right
The flare every x amount of time never really works. You either have the recharge too fast where the infantry can never take you down with their AA or it's too slow and the pilot has no chance of escaping.

On the 30 flares, I said that they only had a chance of working, they don't magically make the missile fly in a different direction every time. This would make the pilot use a set of them while flying away. The whole point of the idea is to make infantry more 'annoying' than 'deadly', not really being a threat to a pilot but still keeping them on their toes. They would have to resupply flares as well.
Old 2012-05-20, 12:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
Mechzz
Major

Originally Posted by Khorneholio View Post
Perfect Khorneholio!

From now we should refer to CoD, Battlefield, etc. collectively as OPS (other popular shooters). It's not derogatory, but hopefully takes the sting from those who see them as the plague in modern guise.

Long live OPS ! (other video games are available)
Old 2012-05-20, 01:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
Mechzz
Major

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
The flare every x amount of time never really works. You either have the recharge too fast where the infantry can never take you down with their AA or it's too slow and the pilot has no chance of escaping.
Agreed. The pilot should have enough flares to fool X missiles and should be able to use them as quick as he wants.

My proposal for X = 5 for a basic plane with more available as the pilot upgrades his vehicle.

Galaxies should get more - maybe twice as much.
Old 2012-05-20, 01:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
Toppopia
Major

I think all aircraft should have it as a side grade, but smaller aircraft get it for the loss of some equipment like extra health or faster speed. Because we don't some aircraft having an advantage and some not, so all aircraft should have flares but at a sacrifice for an important function.
Old 2012-05-20, 02:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
Timealude
Captain

I think all aircraft should have it as a side grade, but smaller aircraft get it for the loss of some equipment like extra health or faster speed. Because we don't some aircraft having an advantage and some not, so all aircraft should have flares but at a sacrifice for an important function.
The smaller aircraft already have advantages like more mobility and higher speeds. Im sure you have seen the newer ones in the TB video, and that phoenix rocket could barely hit those scythes. I understand where your coming from having all aircraft balanced but it would seem useless to have them on aircraft that already have the ability to dodge missiles.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion