Call of Duty "has almost ruined a generation of shooters" - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Dont look now, But I think that turtle is watching us....
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion

Old 2013-03-14, 01:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info
Call of Duty "has almost ruined a generation of shooters"

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/03/13/ca...ra-2-interview

Seems accurate

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.
Old 2013-03-14, 01:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Hamma
PSU Admin

Re: Call of Duty "has almost ruined a generation of shooters"

Hah - great article. Agreed.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-03-14, 02:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Interesting dev perspective, one that I agree with. One could argue that the CoD series, especially the later games, are a different more arcady type of FPS.
It does raise the question as to how much a developer should or has to cater to that generation to succede in getting players interested in the more complex gameplay aspects. I'm sure there are those who would raise that question with PS2
One game that has actually been good at this is War Thunder. although it's not an FPS.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.

Last edited by ChipMHazard; 2013-03-14 at 02:46 PM.
Old 2013-03-15, 01:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
krnasaur
First Lieutenant

The only problem I have with cod is that it has turned into madden. Yearly updates with minimal improvements to the game. (with some "Improvements" that hinder the game IMO, but it is not a super detailed post so I wont go into those)

I tried finding a reason to hate the game, but its a smooth running, arcade shooter. Its a fun game. When I don't feel like playing a super serious game and i just want to have some fun, I go shoot some bitches in cod.

Am I a cod fanatic? no. I play maybe 1-2 Hrs a month. I just don't get all of the cod hate
Old 2013-03-15, 04:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

I think all the hate comes from the fact that the CoD series is so darn popular and has had such an impact on the genre, if not the industry as a whole. Some will see it as being a positive impact and some will see it as being a negative impact.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2013-03-15, 05:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by ChipMHazard View Post
I think all the hate comes from the fact that the CoD series is so darn popular and has had such an impact on the genre, if not the industry as a whole. Some will see it as being a positive impact and some will see it as being a negative impact.
I think part of the problem is that any game's success is being compared to CoD's sale numbers.

Quality of the game is more than if it reaches an arbitrary number of sales. :/

But it's true, in PS2, one of my biggest complaints is the lack of adrenaline rush. There's not the FEAR of losing, or not winning, it's the knowledge of losing and not winning and the knowledge of winning before you started that makes some of the PS2 gameplay boring.

And that largely stems from things that are more deathmatch than conquest in nature.

Hack and holds in PS1 were filled with tension, both resecuring and holding (aside from the wait). But yes, I think the lack of patience has a lot to do with it. I'm hoping people will realise that just because people aren't used to it more, you shouldn't confirm that you shouldn't be used to it anymore. And that's what a lot of games have been doing by gradually becoming more CoD style. It's to the point where a lot of people gave up and argue that you couldn't ever get the CoD crowd in. Who gives a fuck about the CoD crowd? They move on anyway at the next CoD title. The way you retain them and have them come back is by providing something OTHER than CoD and OTHER than other games provide. >.> IMO.

Unique Selling Points. Make there be lots.
Old 2013-03-15, 06:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Agreed, some of my favorite games are niche games that require plenty of patience to even have a chance.
An FPS trying to compete with the CoD series is like MMORPGs trying to compete with WoW, the quality tends to suffer especially when it comes to variation and more unique gameplay elements.
Hopefully PS2 will soon see some of the lost sense of tension, in a win or lose situation, returned with the future updates.

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
Quality of the game is more than if it reaches an arbitrary number of sales. :/
Heh, I also realize the irony of my present day attitude when I used a similar argument, but reversed, against your suggestions on the old beta forum.

Last edited by ChipMHazard; 2013-03-15 at 06:49 AM.
Old 2013-03-18, 07:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

That is the problem with big fish, they got big by being more appealing to the casual crowd who don't want to actually learn anything new. They just want to pick up and play as good as everyone else.

Old 2013-03-24, 10:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Program
Sergeant

I agree, go Tripwire. I love RO2, should probably try the original.

Credit for the sig goes to Wristel
Credit for the NC Medic logo goes to Xyntech
Old 2013-03-29, 05:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Maidere
Sergeant

It isnt even remotely accurate. Computer games attracted a huge CASUAL audience in the last 7-8 years,CoD attracted a huge CASUAL audience to the shooters. Those people wont be playing Quake 3 12 years ago.
TF2 is still very popular by example, CS:GO, NS2 is far from dying afaik.
And it's kinda the same case with the WoW-clones - if you want to make a popular and successful shooter, dont make it similar to CoD.

Last edited by Maidere; 2013-03-29 at 05:59 AM.
Old 2013-06-12, 06:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
camycamera
Major

good article. CoD has ruined my favorite FPSs like crysis and BF by removing the complexity for the casuals. the bastards.
Old 2013-06-22, 09:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
omega four
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by p0intman View Post

Perhaps. But for others like myself, who are casual gamers that have limited time to game at any given point in time, games like COD are a godsend.

All I can say is that I'll never have the time to fight those PS1 battles which lasted for a 12 consecutive hours.

Some of us have to go to work and generally have a life in the real world....

If some of you desire a complex FPS military simulation, my recommendation is to join your country's armed forces. Not only do you get to get involved in a complex endeavor, you also get to do something useful and helpful for your country as well.

Last edited by omega four; 2013-06-22 at 09:28 PM.
Old 2013-06-23, 01:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Your mistake is thinking you have to be there the entire battle. Half the epic feeling of PS1 was starting a fight late night Friday after work and then the same battle is going all the way on into Sunday.

Old 2013-06-24, 01:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Babyfark McGeez
Captain

Originally Posted by omega four View Post
Perhaps. But for others like myself, who are casual gamers that have limited time to game at any given point in time, games like COD are a godsend.

All I can say is that I'll never have the time to fight those PS1 battles which lasted for a 12 consecutive hours.

Some of us have to go to work and generally have a life in the real world....

If some of you desire a complex FPS military simulation, my recommendation is to join your country's armed forces. Not only do you get to get involved in a complex endeavor, you also get to do something useful and helpful for your country as well.
Advertising joining the military on a video game board. Nice.
Aside from your hilarious attempt to mimic a cannon fodder recruiter, i have quite a hard time to see your point. There were allways games like CoD, Unreal Tournament and Quake for example have exactly the same "quick fix" concept.
The problem nowadays is that EVERY. SINGLE. commercial fps is modelled after CoD. It's not that the segment of "30 mins hop in and out" games was absent before. It's that everything else is absent now and all games are like that. But since you played the "i gotz real life" card right after your statement you don't really seem to have a point there besides pointing out how "casual" you are hm?

You know, you remind me an awful lot of this "i am the spokesperson of casuals" guy who posted video after video on the official forums, despite being so casual and having no time. The patronizing tone of your post and the gullible attitude shown towards military service is just the icing on the cake.
Old 2013-06-27, 02:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Shogun
Contributor
General

i don´t get, why developers try to dumb down their games to make them more like Cod!

you can´t compete with the king by trying to copy it! how often did this work? how many clones of successful games managed to be better than the original, or at least as good?

the only way to make a successful game is by delivering something new and innovative! if you aim for the cod crowd, you will lose them to the next cod or bf game that has better graphics and physics.

ps2 offered 2000 players and giant maps. but that was the only thing that cod didn´t have. all other things the cod people like are better in the original for sure. (i never played cod, but i guess ps2 can´t compete in terms of graphics and gunplay)

if ps2 still had all the cool concepts from ps1, the players would be hooked up by those unique gameplay features. and there would be no other game for them to run to for a long time.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion