Reality check -- playing PS1 for the past three days - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Whats that round thing thay threw over here
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2012-06-29, 02:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Gloworm
Private

Re: Reality check -- playing PS1 for the past three days

I loved this game so many years back, and was looking forward to playing it again, but damn the ttk is annoying, i almost exclusively play bfbc2 as sniper, so i'm used to things happening alot faster, and ust got too frustrated playing this again, but still love the game regardless.!

I should add, i had to make a completely new character cause my old one from Werner seems to have gone AWOL

Last edited by Gloworm; 2012-06-29 at 02:51 AM.
Old 2012-06-29, 02:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Razicator
First Sergeant

It also feels very weird actively aiming ahead of an enemy to account for laga. I'm so used to now actually shooting at the enemy model, or at most very slightly ahead for bullet travel time in Battlefield or Halo or CoD.

Last edited by Razicator; 2012-06-29 at 02:53 AM.
Old 2012-06-29, 02:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
TAA
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Razicator View Post
I like the TTK, it's higher than CoD/BF but lower than Halo. If TTKs were as high as Halo's weapons (outside of grenades/power weapons), then things would get much more crowded in tight spaces.
That is way too high. I really hope it is lower in PS2 to be at most similar to BF.
Old 2012-06-29, 02:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Gloworm
Private

And waiting for the reticule on the bolt driver to shrink down is just sooooo annoying, in my opinion it takes so much of the thrill of a sniper duel out of the equation!
Old 2012-06-29, 02:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
OutlawDr
Contributor
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by elfailo View Post
After a few hours today and yesterday I've come to the conclusion that TTK on infantry is definitely too high for my taste in this game. This is because aiming in Planetside is way too easy for it to make any significant difference. The only factors that make it harder are network lag and the inconsistency in how the game feels. The mouse control is horrible and sometimes it feels a lot faster than other times.

Smart movement is also irrelevant. It doesn't matter if you try to flank people or sneak up to them using blind spots, they all have audio amp and there's always enough time to turn around and return fire due to the high TTK and the fact that the weapons generally have pathetic range. You need to be really close to someone for a Jackhammer or even MCG to be effective, so there's a pretty big chance they will see you on radar, giving them the opportunity to turn it into an AADADADADA strafing fest and canceling out any plan for attack.

Spam is still completely out of control. It's never been different, but all of this reminded me again of why at some point many years ago I simply stopped caring about it and sat in my Reaver 24/7. There's just barely any skill in the infantry game in Planetside.
Yep. I've been playing again the last couple days, and...holy shit infantry combat is awful. I remember it being bad, but there is simpy nothing to enjoy about it anymore.
Old 2012-06-29, 03:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
The noob
Corporal

Originally Posted by TAA View Post
That is way too high. I really hope it is lower in PS2 to be at most similar to BF.
Hmmm, when it comes to TTK, I think that BF2 and 2142 got it right in terms of TTK for large scale warfale. It's slow enough that if you're shot at from a distance, you'll probably have time for fight or flight, but if someone sneaks up on you because you and/or your squad wasn't attentive or watching your flanks, you'll very likely have either a very biased fight on your hands, or more likely than not, out right lose.
Old 2012-06-29, 03:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
TAA
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by The noob View Post
Hmmm, when it comes to TTK, I think that BF2 and 2142 got it right in terms of TTK for large scale warfale. It's slow enough that if you're shot at from a distance, you'll probably have time for fight or flight, but if someone sneaks up on you because you and/or your squad wasn't attentive or watching your flanks, you'll very likely have either a very biased fight on your hands, or more likely than not, out right lose.

I do agree with you, even though since COD4 introduced me to HC mode I have never gone back to 'normal' TTK modes. At least in BF2/2142 getting the drop on people in close combat would reward you with letting you kill them before they could even react properly.
Old 2012-06-29, 03:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Shade Millith
First Sergeant

I've done the same thing as you OP, playing the game. However, I disagree with you so much on this -

Originally Posted by Rivenshield View Post
1) Fuck BFR's. Fuck them in the ear. I'd forgotten how badly I hate them. They have mobility, overwhelming firepower, and are impossibly freaking hard to kill. Ditto on the Galaxy gunship. Nothing that just sits there and farms you while you repeatedly throw everything you have at it should be in a first person shooter. They're game breakers.
Yea, if you're a tank. Or an idiot. In the week I've been back I've already soloed two of them.

I've said this many times before, and too few people seem to listen. INFANTRY WEAPONS.

Infantry rifles/Sniper rifles go through the shield, and do damage to the various subsystems.. Hit the shield gen on the back, and suddenly that shield is down.

Get a mossie, jammer grenades, and Decimator. Drop on top of one, on the way down throw a jammer grenade, then get under the shield and pop it with Decimators. You'll either cripple it, or kill it.

Hell, I find them easier to deal with than a tank.

Last edited by Shade Millith; 2012-06-29 at 03:13 AM.
Old 2012-06-29, 03:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Rivenshield
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by The noob View Post
/nod

Upon reflection, I concur. You're exactly right. It rewards the resourceful sneaky guy but gives the tyro a chance, at least at mid-long range. I honestly never raged at anything in BF2142 like I did in PS1....

...but then I never loved it anywhere near as much.

I remember my first poplocked fight very clearly -- it was on one of the desert continents, the one with the big high soaring rock formations you could actually run up on and snipe from, with that lush desert-y track by Don Ferrone -- and it actually scared me a little. I thought, Jesus H. Christ, this isn't a GAME. It's war, a real war, fought in a virtual environment. It's two or three self-organizing swarms trying to maul each other to death. And here I am in the middle of it. And I really love what's special about the gadgets and mentality of my faction, because they are keeping me alive.

We must have all felt that way at one time or another, or we wouldn't still be here.

Last edited by Rivenshield; 2012-06-29 at 03:16 AM.
Old 2012-06-29, 03:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Brusi
Contributor
Major

Such a terrible rant

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2
Old 2012-06-29, 03:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
WorldOfForms
Corporal

Gunner BFRs are fairly balanced these days, but the Flight BFRs are still insanely good. The only reason people think they are bad is because pilots are pretty much all terrible players. I'm only an OK player but I can go 30/1 K/D piloting a Flight BFR (and this includes eating MBTs for breakfast) without breaking a sweat. Bad players never believe me, and yet I've done it more times than I can count.
Old 2012-06-29, 03:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Think I found your problem..
Indeed. The Raider is the most useless unit in terms of manpower. That's exactly the issue we've been talking about regarding the Driver/Gunner thing: manpower optimization.

In contrast, it's incredibly easy to get gunners for a Thunderer. Try it.

We rolled 5 and before my outfit mates could get in two and a half of our Thundies were filled with gunners (never heard of randoms without outfit and virtually no spots for my platoon of 22 left).

Also on the point about infils. I don't think the OP realises that the infil in PS2 will cloak for a total of 15 seconds with sniper rifle (we've yet to see how long it lasts without a sniper rifle). I still hate the PS2 cloaker design with a passion, because the PS1 is about stealth skill that actually lets you infiltrate enemy lines. 15 seconds or something temporary would mean you can't pull of any infiltration past a defended chokepoint and get constantly killed after being detected.

Getting away is tricky while cloaked. Getting away while visible is ridiculously hard for an infil. They're not supposed to be combattants first and foremost so they shouldn't force it.

Originally Posted by Canaris View Post
I can see you never tried out the TR Navy tactic, a platoon rocking the Raiders can be an extremely devastating team, hell we even smashed a larger force of Magriders the supposed kings of the waves and scared off/blew up everything that was thrown at us. Raiders rule!
That platoon would however have been MORE devastating had you invested in Deliverers, thanks to the additional armour of the extra units giving you more time to put out damage and more chance of survival.

Last edited by Figment; 2012-06-29 at 03:39 AM.
Old 2012-06-29, 03:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
BuzzCutPsycho
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Rivenshield View Post
That's funny. I swore I coulda seen you out there the night before last....
Well no shit?

How else would I have been able to play it and therefore be reminded of why I quit had I not actually logged in and played again?
Old 2012-06-29, 04:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Canaris
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
That platoon would however have been MORE devastating had you invested in Deliverers, thanks to the additional armour of the extra units giving you more time to put out damage and more chance of survival.
we did both and the Raiders worked out better and were way more fun

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2012-06-29, 04:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Figment
Lieutenant General

Hmm. Curious. I'll just keep a raised eyebrow and wonder if it's because you stuck closer together that time around as everyone had to be in the same area and fire at the same units or some other circumstances were different, or if perhaps the approach angle and overall driving was better.

Just out of interest, you feel there were any other circumstances (amount of opposition) or differences in organizational level?

Because we've always found our group to be more effective with Deliverers after toying with NC Raiders for fun and dps maths suggest it should be.

Armour levels are the same, speed is slightly different (thought Deli was fastest), so if your Deli dies to enemy opposition, the Raider should too, while at the same time people focus fire on one Raider instead of two Delis. And when a Raider dies that should be taking a lot more firepower away in one blow.

Meaning it's virtually impossible for a Raider to perform better than two Deliverers and I'm curious to find out how you pulled it off.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion