Logo design - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Vanu = Barney and Friends
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2011-07-16, 04:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Heaven
Master Sergeant

Logo design

I think outfits should get a logo maker with an in-depth system with loads of tools to create a really cool looking logo. this would then be on there armor and vehicles as from PS1.
Old 2011-07-16, 04:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: Logo design

I'm drawing a penis and nobody can stop me.

They said they wanted outfits to be visually distinguishable so I imagine we'll see something like this.
Old 2011-07-16, 05:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
I'm drawing a penis and nobody can stop me.

They said they wanted outfits to be visually distinguishable so I imagine we'll see something like this.
Heh, Higby actually said somewhere that they'll have an outfit logo approval thing you send in so you can't have a penis logo. Or any other vulgar-ish kind of logo.
Old 2011-07-16, 08:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Hamma
PSU Admin

Yep.
Old 2011-07-16, 08:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
Heh, Higby actually said somewhere that they'll have an outfit logo approval thing you send in so you can't have a penis logo. Or any other vulgar-ish kind of logo.
Damnit.
Old 2011-07-17, 04:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
krnasaur
First Lieutenant

Did they go into detail how the logo editor would work? like do you just choose from a set of shapes like in cod or do you actually get to design a logo
Old 2011-07-17, 09:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Hamma
PSU Admin

It's still very much in the design phase I'm sure but it sounded almost like full skins. It was mentioned in the developer panel interview.
Old 2011-07-17, 10:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
kaffis
Contributor
Major

I'm hoping they ask Sony to knock on Flying Lab Studio's system for player submission and peer review in Pirates of the Burning Sea. They have really set the bar for community generated identification insignia with their sails and flags program. The standards they set result in a very high degree of consistency as far as the submissions blending in with their world, and the community that spring up around it to help walk through and coach new people in how to make submissions of their own to meet that standard are a real accomplishment and credit to the game.
Old 2011-07-17, 10:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

Best thing to do would be to simply say you have to have a 100x100 .png image or whatever and upload it via the website for approval.

Making an in game editor seems like a waste of time as people would still be able to make inappropriate designs.
Old 2011-07-19, 06:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
kaffis
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by DviddLeff View Post
Best thing to do would be to simply say you have to have a 100x100 .png image or whatever and upload it via the website for approval.

Making an in game editor seems like a waste of time as people would still be able to make inappropriate designs.
Look into Flying Lab Studio's system for Pirates of the Burning Sea sometime. It's very much like this.

The flag and sail decal dimensions are published, and you can submit .pngs through a web interface. Once submitted, your designs are entered into a system that presents other users with 2 submitted designs at random, and asks them to rate the "better" one. The community has been instructed to rate via a set of standards, which essentially are designed to ensure that the graphic is a) not copyrighted; b) bug-free (stray pixels and the like); c) fits the color palette of the game (also laid out with public guidelines about saturation and such); and d) fits the spirit of the game, from a setting/period standpoint (no rocketships in the Age of Sail, etc.).

The system tracks ratings, and if a submission breaks some threshold over a couple days/some number of views, it will either be automatically entered or automatically flagged for rejection. Ones that don't generate a very one-sided response with the ratings will get passed on to the user created content team to manually sort through and pass/fail. All failures come with brief notes explaining why they were rejected.

Users are encouraged/incentivized to rate others' content in two ways: it allows the ones serious about the UCC community to self-police and help others' work improve, and it's also required to rate some submissions if you want to submit multiple pieces, yourself.

All I know is, after a little tinkering, the system they worked out works *really* well. You go into the game, and everything blends with the models, the lighting, the sail-tinting system, and the world around it just fantastically. You'd swear that most of them were created by the dev team's artists and just sold in-game as-is. I think in over a year of playing, I might have reported 3 sails that slipped by the system and just plain didn't belong in the game. And only one of them was truly offensive, the other two were more nitpicks on period-appropriateness (one used a gradient in the image, which just isn't an effect that sail makers were able to achieve at the time, the and another referenced a college sports team and logo, IIRC).
Old 2011-07-25, 06:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
FIREk
Captain

Definitely a "no" to unmoderated content, otherwise it's swastika city. Didn't they say in one of the interviews that outfit logos will be sent in as regular images, and then moderated and added by SOE employees?
Old 2011-07-26, 06:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Dorest0rm
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

COD: Black Ops did a pretty good logo creation thingy!

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault