The Jackhammer - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: my what a large targeting reticule you have...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-06-16, 12:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Onizuka
Lieutenant General

no precious jackhammer! no nerfage here, it already is nerfed in distance, really bad. oh well they can nerf it if they want to but i dont think they will (i hope not)
Old 2003-06-16, 12:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Cyber
Corporal

no nerfage here, it already is nerfed in distance
Surge + Cover = distance nearly irrelavent. You can close the distance so fast and so easily in most fights that the lack of range on the weapon is not as huge of a negitive as most people make it out to be. I never had any trouble closeing range when I just carried a rocklet and sweeper shotgun, and I don't have trouble now that I carry a jackhammer and rocklet quite often.

And once your indoors (and no matter what battle it is, it does eventually get to the point of indoors) lack of range is no longer an issue. There is no point in any base except possibly the basement of the dropship center were there is a sufficent distance in one of those rooms that the jackhammer won't be within it's effective range the second you see the enemy.

It's 'distance' issues are not enough to balance this weapon out. The MCG and Lasher both share these same issues and are not nearly the overpowered killing machines the jackhammer is.
Old 2003-06-16, 12:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
MilitantB0B
Colonel

I have recently made a NC heavy weapon character just to see if the JackHammer is as godly as alot of people say it is. I have to say, it is a good weapon, but not overpowered. From one end of a hallway to the other, the thing is practically useless and don't even think of taking one outside. I don't know about how bad the other HWs are nerfed, because I haven't played much with them, but I don't think the Jackhammer deserves a nerf. The jackahmmer is exactly how I would expect a HW to behave, to be excellent at killing people in certain circumstances (e.i. Indoors). If the other HW weapons don't fill that describition, they should be changed. Just my humble opinion.
Old 2003-06-16, 12:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Led

There is nothing you can nerf on the jackhammer that would not change it into a fancy sweeper shotgun. It only fires a little faster, and does a little more damage.

Nerf the hammer, you will have to nerf the sweeper, nerf the sweeper, you will have to nerf the rocklet, and so on and so forth.

I could really care less what they do to it, I just do not want another round of whining about some other crap 'n00b gun' in a month
Old 2003-06-16, 12:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Crono
Second Lieutenant

I try to think of it as: "Ok, the Jackhammer pwns me in close combat, the Lasher pwns me in long range combat, and I pwn those with the Mini-Chaingun in heavy combat."

Also, remember back in the ol' FAQ? It explains the 'history' (if you will) of each empire's weapons. The VS "Use laser weapons and prefer high speed over brute fire power" the TR "Prefer massive amounts of fire power. They have traditional weapons with a very high rate of fire." The NC "Prefer massive damage over rate of fire or speed." It all seems to make sense if you think about it

FAQ - Go to: 'What are the advantages of each empire?'
Old 2003-06-16, 12:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Darken
Private

umm the lasher sux in all combat and this is from a guy with a couple hundred kills only using that gun, its simply not as good as a cycler, jackhammer, thumper or rocklet. Make it a lightning gun...
Old 2003-06-16, 12:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Hamma
PSU Admin

In the end its the numbers that tell what will be nerfed.. NC will be their own downfall IMO as 90% of soldiers carry the jackhammer.

On a lighter note, I remember when the jackhammer was a COMPLETE POS I used to laugh and take it on with a pistol in early beta days

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2003-06-16, 01:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
ajohn505
Sergeant

I get pwned constantly by the mini chaingun, but you don't hear me whining about it. Suck it up, peeps... its working as intended. Check the official forums for dev comments on it.
"I am angry that so many of the sons of the powerful and well-placed... managed to wrangle slots in Reserve and National Guard units...Of the many tragedies of Vietnam, this raw class discrimination strikes me as the most damaging to the ideal that all Americans are created equal and owe equal allegiance to their country."

-Colin Powell�s autobiography, My American Journey, p. 148
Old 2003-06-16, 01:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Happy lil Elf
Contributor
Colonel

Jackhammer is fine. MCG needs a slight reduction in the rate it's cof expands. Lasher is already scary enough thank you very much. The end.

Its eating it's food. (Incorrect use of apostrophes specifically for UV)
"Oni wont get banned, unless you get banned. Its a 2 man ticket."-Hamma to TekDragon re: his request to ban Oni. Life is good.
Old 2003-06-16, 01:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
sniper4evr26
Corporal

heres a thought: they could entirely remove the jackhammer from the game and make a new weapon. that way we wont end up with weapons that are nerfed over and over again untill they are all so weak they couldnt shoot through a wet piece of paper. i dont think anyone wants that. i dont exactly know what could replace the jackhammer, maybe a hand held 30mm cannon or flamethrower or something, i really dont know. but i think its a good alternative to nerfing everything down and listening to all the nOObs complaining and moaning and whining abou how the other cheese cannons are more powerful than theirs. i hope this gets to the devs.
Old 2003-06-16, 01:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Led

Funny that no one ever bitched about it in beta...
Old 2003-06-16, 01:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Madcow
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally posted by Hamma
In the end its the numbers that tell what will be nerfed.. NC will be their own downfall IMO as 90% of soldiers carry the jackhammer.
That's exactly my point. It might end up a victim of it's own success. There's a reason that 2 out of 3 empires have precious few people spending the 4 cert points for heavy, and the last empire has an overwhelming majority doing so. Just stick around in a hot area with NC fighting either of the other 2 empires and watch the kill list. Over and over and over you see that Jackhammer symbol. If it wasn't being so overused by NC I think it might have gotten a pass from the devs, but I'll be shocked if something isn't done as things currently stand. Maybe they'll punch the other heavies up, but it will probably be a quicker fix to nerf the Jackhammer.
Old 2003-06-16, 01:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Led

The devs honestly think the hammer is fine. So I doubt they will change it just because the community is going on a binge about it. I am sure, however, that tuning up the other heavy weapons is in their plans.

Chaingun is an easy fix.

I have no idea what they might do to the lasher tho
Old 2003-06-16, 01:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Arakiel
Sergeant Major

The jackhammer's only problem right now is the range. It's actually fairly effective at medium range, which really shouldn't be the case. Honestly, it's a better mid-range weapon than the pulsar, but, we'll not go into that.
Old 2003-06-16, 01:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Cyber
Corporal

Check the official forums for dev comments on it.
The devs honestly think the hammer is fine.
I dunno what official forums you have been reading, but I can only find ONE dev quote on the jackhammer.

And that's from Sporkfire stating he had 'passed on the feedback on the jackhammer to the design team' and nothing more.

There is no dev post I can find that they said it's on target for how they wanted it.

At this point I agree with Hamma. The overwhelming number of NC using this weapon will be it's own downfall, because the devs will nerf it to make it less attractive to get some players to cert in and use other weapons.

It's the same reason you saw reavers lose some of thier armor effectiveness and the automated base turrets appearing. Too many reavers flying around. I think they may have had a stealth nerf on thier rockets as well since I'm having far less trouble running and hiding from them when being hit then before.

The huge numbers of NC using the jackhammer + the number of TR/VS looting and using it as often as possible will be the downfall of this weapon.

And I can't say I'm going to miss it, I'll be happy to see it retuned.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion