The most iconic action in Planetside. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Now causes 50% less pollution
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-10-31, 09:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

The most iconic action in Planetside.

Is really dam rare. I am talking about Gal drops. This once occurred 1-5 times a base assault. Now, I can't even really recall seeing any happen.

Sure, some one will come in here and say such and such outfit does it all the time! That does not mean that one of the most iconic maneuvers in games with the name Planetside is not now, a rare occurrence.

Hell, I have tried a few times to fill up a gal with people, only to be accused of being a troll or griever when I pass over the Target area and tell them to jump out using "E".

This is a problem, and indicative of the entire PS2 experience.

Here is a great indicator of this:

Originally Posted by danovski, post: 348847, member: 59842
*** ? 1:54:27 you fall from 800 meters and you die, why do you say that dident sopose to hapend?

you don't have a parachute in this game
Originally Posted by Luperza, post: 350599, member: 698
It's because I dropped out of a Galaxy. Galaxies allow you to hot drop without taking damage. (Although it is still buggy and sometimes kills you... Lol)
Old 2012-10-31, 10:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
VonLipwig
Private

Re: The most iconic action in Planetside.

I agree that currently, Galaxy drops just aren't cost-effective. Galaxies in general seem a bit lacklustre to be honest. I made a pretty big post about it on my outfit's forums:

http://thenakedfanatics.com/showthre...0-Galaxy-Drops

There are just too many niggles when considering a Galaxy drop. While good for an initial surprise, long term it's just better to pull a Sunderer and put up with the extra time needed to get to your target.

One thing that would in my opinion really improve Galaxy drops are:

-Obviously, fixing that bug where you still die when you jump out of a Gal;
-Communicate REALLY WELL to new players that dropping from a Galaxy does not cause fall damage, so they don't get confused and refuse to jump out;
-Make it look cooler. I literally heard people say they didn't like Galaxy drops because you just jump out of an aircraft and it looked lame;
-Give the Galaxy a 13th pilot slot, allowing a Galaxy to drop an ENTIRE squad, instead of one guy staying in the Galaxy;
-Allow squad spawn on the Galaxy, and possibly resupply and class changes as well. Don't make it a universal spawn vehicle like the Sunderer is, lock it to squad only. I believe there are already plans for this.

I think a few or all of these changes would improve the Galaxy drop experience and make it occur more often.
Old 2012-10-31, 11:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
ringring
Contributor
General

Of course the other thing is you can pull a sunderer once you have dropped, assuming it's not a hot hot drop.

But, the op is correct, gal drops are pretty much gone at present. However I've watched Higby's recent Amerish video and I think there is more scope for them there than on Esamir/Indar.
Old 2012-10-31, 11:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

It's the bases. Indefensible death-match spawn-camp centric arenas do not need strategic insertion, just mass on point.
Old 2012-10-31, 01:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Storn
Sergeant

If troops won’t drop just lock the gal and make them drop; after a few times maybe they will see the light. Naturally, this tactic will come back anyway id imagine.
Old 2012-10-31, 02:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Boomzor
Staff Sergeant

Remember when we used gal drops in PS1?
Primarily on bases with a strategically important target on the top.

Tech Plants - CC on top
Bio Labs - Gen on top
Amp Stations - CC on top

None of the bases in PS2 has anything of importance on top. Hell, most of the time you can't even make you way down from the base roof without dying if you don't control the teleporters.
Old 2012-10-31, 03:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Mox
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Gal drops in ps2 are ultra lame. In ps1 it was THE most epic action in the game.
Old 2012-10-31, 03:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Storn View Post
If troops won’t drop just lock the gal and make them drop
While that works. That is not a solution to the greater problem.
Old 2012-10-31, 03:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Fear The Amish
First Sergeant

Yeah i agree XoO we use a gal drop to start an offensive (drop on a tower like indar excavation) 1 gal with just infantry to flip turrets and terminals. Then we pull sundies and continue push in them.
Old 2012-10-31, 04:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Dagron
Captain

Originally Posted by VonLipwig View Post
-Make it look cooler. I literally heard people say they didn't like Galaxy drops because you just jump out of an aircraft and it looked lame;
I'd love to see everyone dropping from a gal with a big ass jetpack (larger than the LA's) strapped to their backs. They could fall a little faster and when they got a short distance from the ground they'd reverse thrusters and land safely, then just add a quick animation of the characters discarding them when they hit the ground.
Also, balance-wise i'm not sure it would be a good thing to have them stick out at night, but it would look badass to see a multi gal drop - I can imagine myself looking up at several dozen points of light dropping down on us and yelling "INCOMING!"
Old 2012-10-31, 04:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
EisenKreutzer
Sergeant Major

Why was the respawn feature removed from the Galaxy? Have they said anything about that?
Old 2012-10-31, 04:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Dagron
Captain

I assume the same problem the sundy is presenting now, too much spawning.
Old 2012-10-31, 05:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Fenrys
Major

Jumping out of a Gal is suicide a lot of the time. After bailing, if you land kinda near any terrain that is not perfectly flat, you'll splat when you hit.

Last edited by Fenrys; 2012-10-31 at 05:18 PM.
Old 2012-10-31, 05:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Grognard
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by VonLipwig View Post
One thing that would in my opinion really improve Galaxy drops are:

-Obviously, fixing that bug where you still die when you jump out of a Gal;
-Communicate REALLY WELL to new players that dropping from a Galaxy does not cause fall damage, so they don't get confused and refuse to jump out;
-Give the Galaxy a 13th pilot slot, allowing a Galaxy to drop an ENTIRE squad, instead of one guy staying in the Galaxy;
-Allow squad spawn on the Galaxy, and possibly resupply and class changes as well. Don't make it a universal spawn vehicle like the Sunderer is, lock it to squad only. I believe there are already plans for this.
1. Fix bug - absolutely... rediculously over due.
2. Look cooler - and sound cooler, there should be an impending 5 second count down to ejection.
3. 13th spot - very much in agreement here, and distinguishes the Galaxy from the Sunderer in purpose even further.
4. Squad Spawn - I think that should remain with the Sunderer, however, I think (making it look cooler...) a small "C-Train box" should drop with the squad. It would be a respawn and resupply unit for a limited time, say 5 minutes or so (just a guess). This way a Galaxy still supports its drop, but the Sunderer remains the permanent version. Of course the supply box will need to drop like a pod so it doesnt do anything weird... just deploying a "terminal" that looks like a resupply canister etc.

Kein Plan überlebt die erste Feindberührung. Res ad triarios venit... μολὼν λαβέ!
Old 2012-11-01, 09:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by EisenKreutzer View Post
Why was the respawn feature removed from the Galaxy? Have they said anything about that?
It's better for game play. As everyone said before beta and tech test.

Gal AMS circumvents EVERY thing, all if it. Roads, walls, front lines. It only took months to drill it into their heads.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion