Improvements to the TR's Mini Chaingun - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: can you guess what BFR stands for?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-10-25, 06:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Orisoll
Private

Improvements to the TR's Mini Chaingun

I just recently purchased TR's ES heavy weapon, and needless to say I'm a bit let down. Having tried both the Lasher and the Jackhammer, I can safely say that this weapon is the worst at what it does.

You see, the other two ESHWs have a trait that helps the weapon in its respective roll (splash/3x burst), unlike the MCG who's special trait (spin-up time) is it's downfall. So I propose a few changes that could be made to make this weapon worth using, and not outclassed by all the other LMG's in the game.
  1. Remove all recoil.
    This would give the weapon a trait that actually helps its performance, rather than causing it to fall flat.
  2. Increase RoF to 900RPM.
    This should be done regardless of any other improvments, because the minigun should be the maximum dakka weapon (that means NC weapons shouldn't out RoF it, which they do). The spin-up time is a huge detrement to this guns effectivness, and needs something more than 800RPM to balance it out.
  3. Give access to ADV. Laser sight.
    The MCG has no access to scopes -and is primarily a hipfire weapon- which is why the lack of a fitting attatchment selection is a bit odd.
  4. Decrease/remove spin-up time.
    This should not be done if any of the other items on this list are added, as it would get rid of the need to balance out a major flaw.
  5. Make it underslung.
    For the sake of awsomeness.

Please keep in mind that these are separate suggestions, I'm well aware that all together these would make the MCG the only gun worth using. Read this on a "pick two" basis.

Anyhow, what are your thoughts? Do you think it's fine as is, or do you see room for improvement?
Old 2013-10-25, 06:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Improvements to the TR's Mini Chaingun

At the bare minimum, number 5 needs to be implemented.

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Old 2013-10-25, 06:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

The MCG is within 10% kills per user of the Jackhammer, vastly superior to the Lasher, and as popular with players as both of the others combined. A better question would be "what did you expect out of it?" They all have different roles.

Last edited by maradine; 2013-10-25 at 06:44 PM. Reason: speeling
Old 2013-10-25, 07:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
AThreatToYou
Major

#5 is all that needs to be done.
Old 2013-10-25, 07:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Stick Pin
Private

I don't use it because of the spin time. What good is it when you see a light flying above you?
Old 2013-10-25, 07:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
camycamera
Major

Originally Posted by bpostal View Post
At the bare minimum, number 5 needs to be implemented.
^

i have araxium on the chaingun, and i would definitely go back to it and get another 1000 kills just because number 5 would be so badass.
Old 2013-10-25, 09:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
MaxDamage
Sergeant Major

As a MAX user I despise the lasher. It blinds us, hits us with direct and splash damage and can be fired from behind cover at night whilst the user strafes so that it is near impossible to see or shoot the person firing it. To say the MCG is superior is laughable.
Old 2013-10-25, 10:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by MaxDamage View Post
To say the MCG is superior is laughable.
Hardly; the MCG is a vastly more productive killer. This really isn't up for debate. That doesn't mean the Lasher is pointless or weak - like I said, they all have different roles. I'm sure its sucks to be a MAX on the end of the Lasher. You are, however, not scoring a lot of actual kills with it, comparatively. And, as such, I ask - what does OP want out of the MCG, exactly? Asking for a laundry list of kill enhancers doesn't make a ton of sense for a highly kill-productive HA special.

Last edited by maradine; 2013-10-25 at 10:37 PM.
Old 2013-10-26, 05:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Apart from the Lasher I don't really think the old heavy weapons have much of a role in PS2 since we already have sooo many weapons that more or less do the same thing. At least the Lasher is unique in its function.
As such I don't really know what should/could be done about the MCG since it's already doing what it's supposed to in an effective enough manner. I think the problem here is that it's just drowning in a sea of LMGs and other weapons choices for the HA.
SOE is going to have be more creative when it comes to making both the Jackhammer and MCG more unique, imo.

All that said I would still like to see it become an underslug again

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.

Last edited by ChipMHazard; 2013-10-26 at 12:37 PM.
Old 2013-10-26, 12:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Orisoll
Private

Originally Posted by maradine View Post
What does OP want out of the MCG, exactly? Asking for a laundry list of kill enhancers doesn't make a ton of sense for a highly kill-productive HA special.
I suggested various independent improvements as possible ways to make the weapon itself have a niche that isn't being a very bad LMG. The spin-up time renders it's supposed function (group thinning) obsolete, as it makes the user an easy kill before he/she can even get the thing spooled up. Removing the spin-up time or buffing other aspects of the gun would make it fulfill it's role much better.

As for the "highly kill-productive" part, it is a terrible weapon for just straight-up one-on-one fragging. The MSW-R and T9 CARV are better for any and every situation the MCG would be good at, and don't have any spin-up mechanic. The Chaingun is supposed to be a group-killing weapon, but it's special mechanic renders that niche null and void.

That is not to say the other ESHWs are great at what they do, it's just that the MCG is the only one that doesn't fill it's roll at all.

Last edited by Orisoll; 2013-10-27 at 03:19 PM.
Old 2013-10-26, 12:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

SOE is fully aware of the underslung preference. That's how it was in PS1, it was addressed after we first saw the new version They basically said to make it look respectable they'd have to do new animations for all the armor class avatars. I'm not saying that's impossible, but using that many resources/time for 1 gun just isn't optimal.
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
Old 2013-10-26, 01:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Plaqueis
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by MaxDamage View Post
As a MAX user I despise the lasher. It blinds us, hits us with direct and splash damage and can be fired from behind cover at night whilst the user strafes so that it is near impossible to see or shoot the person firing it. To say the MCG is superior is laughable.
O'rly?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...=sharing#gid=1

Last edited by Plaqueis; 2013-10-26 at 01:44 PM.
Old 2013-10-26, 06:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Osskscosco
Corporal

Only bad thing about it is the model.
Old 2013-10-27, 11:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Falcon_br
Captain

There is a good explanation why the MCG is vastly used:
1- All other TR machineguns sucks, and they suck bad comparing to all other empires machineguns.
When a player is tired of using the t9 carv, he will choose the next weapon he will use, comparing the in-game status with all other weapons available, the only true option is the MCG.
The mcg is bad, it used to be good, but after 4 nerfs and 1 questionable buff, it is just like all TR weapons, far inferior from the other faction weapons. The lasher is bad at killing, but at least it have a tactical use, the noobhammer (sorry, played too much ps-1) is better then any other shotgun on the game, you just need to learn how to use it. The mcg is just a worst version of the t9 carv.

In planetside since the close beta of the first game!
Outfit Brasileira de Planetside 2
Old 2013-10-27, 12:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Rolfski
Major

Originally Posted by Falcon_br View Post
There is a good explanation why the MCG is vastly used:
1- All other TR machineguns sucks, and they suck bad comparing to all other empires machineguns..
TR lacks high flyer LMG's like the EM6 and overpowered SVA-88, but I doubt this is the main reason why MCG gets vastly used.

The MCG is the only TR MG that has pinpoint long range accuracy and devastating short range dps (if you prefire it, before turning around corners). Which makes it a good all-round gun in theory and probably explains its popularity.

The problem is that it sucks in either of these roles and it's use a team suppression weapon is also lacklustre (you're better off with a T9 Carv-S or T16 with extended mags). It doesn't fit any role particularly well where the Lasher is a great team weapon and the Jackhammer a good high skill shotgun.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion