"Endboss vs competitive combat" - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Matt Higby's Hair Appreciation Society
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-05-28, 12:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Stardouser
Colonel

Re: "Endboss vs competitive combat"

Originally Posted by Mechzz View Post
Stardouser, you've shown yourself as an imaginative, intelligent poster. I trust you would be prepared to accept the downsides you describe for the outfit airship. But I ask you to consider, how many others would? My own feeling is that such a "powerful" but "weak" vehicle would spawn interminable whinge fests about "balance" on these and the official forums leading to discontent, followed by the buff/nerf cycle as the rest of the game tried to cope.
Well, don't forget, there is no situation where an outfit airship would be required to win any engagement. So if some people would not accept these downsides, it's not like they are forced to use it. On the flip side, if it does NOT have these downsides, it cannot exist, and so even the people who would use it, wouldn't be able to use it, and everyone loses.

As for balance, if you pull up an outfit airship next to a base and try to rape it, yes, you will get some kills, but if you do that, every tank for 500 meters will be able to hit you, not to mention AA turrets and infantry. So if there is whining, it surely would not be because a solo airship or two is raping bases unstoppably.

Compare that to a GG in the form that we already know of, and due to GG's relative mobility, if we can have a GG that's mobile like that, surely we can have a bigger outfit airship.

Personally, I envision outfit airships as being so weak to a small squad of mosquitoes(or reavers doing rocket dive attacks, or attacks straight up from the ground) that they have no choice but to fly around with their own air support. Hell, even a liberator should be able match speed with an outfit airship, hover on top(blind spot) and blast your roof in. Or, imagine an inverted Liberator sneaking underneath you, blasting your guts out(assuming Liberators can fly inverted).

That being the case, OK, so it's not that hard to get 8 guys to staff an airship - but considering you also need another 10 guys minimum flying air to air support with air to air weapons, that ends up being a lot of guys required.

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-05-28 at 12:03 PM.
Old 2012-05-28, 12:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Mechzz
Major

Originally Posted by WildVS View Post
Really?
Well, I think so. That's why I wrote it. Do you question both parts of the statement?
Old 2012-05-28, 02:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
IMMentat
Contributor
First Sergeant

A well constructed thread opening, nice work Figment.

I agree with pretty much everything said there in terms of analysis of Planetside (the first).

The current dev-team seems to be working fairly hard at providing a balance for PS2 mechanics and the flexibility of customisation seems to allow anyone to have credible threat against a specific target type (such as a near suicidal run in the open to plant some C4), but at a trade off against something else (Guesswork. if you take C4, you can't take the ammo dispenser?).

Between the current updates to the community and maintaining an unusually fan-facing persona I am going to trust that the devs will make carefuly weighted decisions before introducing anything like a power/boss option.
Everything will have a downside to counter the good, else no fun will be had from fighting againt it.

Last edited by IMMentat; 2012-05-28 at 02:39 PM.
Old 2012-05-28, 03:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Purple
Sergeant Major

inderect fire works. the issue with the flail was that it was too tanky. if balanced right artillery in PS2 could do good damage but still be taken out with just a few air units unloading on it. indirect fire could work if people would have the patience with them while they are being balanced.
Old 2012-05-28, 04:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
IMMentat
Contributor
First Sergeant

indirect fire could work if people would have the patience with them while they are being balanced.
The problem is scale.
Massed indirect fire means a persistent area saturation which tends to hard-counter a lot of things (vehicles? spam the spawnpoint/exit, troops? spam the entrances and battlements, aircraft? get some dedicated AA backup)

It's the same problem Orbital Strikes suffered from in Planetside, eventually the long cooldown was negated by the number of people who had access to them.

Last edited by IMMentat; 2012-05-28 at 04:36 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion