Will I be able to max out Planetside 2 at 1366*768? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: This is the DUST514 forum, right?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-09-07, 09:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
ruhtraeel
Private

Will I be able to max out Planetside 2 at 1366*768?

I'm hoping I can max it out on my laptop and get a decent framerate between 35-60:

i7 2630QM 2.00ghz
8GB DDR3
Nvidia GT 550M
500GB 7200RPM HDD
Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate

I don't really care about AA, so I can turn it off if it helps.

Hopefully I can max it with my laptop, so I don't need to install it on my desktop, which is

i5 2500K 3.3ghz
ATI Radeon 5870x2 1GB VRAM Crossfired
16GB DDR3
250GB + 160GB + 160GB 7200RPM HDD

I've also been hearing that it's very CPU intensive, which is a good and bad thing for me... the i7 in my laptop... IS an i7, but each core is slow (2.00ghz), so if it's heavily optimized for multiple cores, I'll be happy!

Last edited by ruhtraeel; 2012-09-07 at 09:40 PM.
Old 2012-09-07, 09:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
JawsOfLife
Sergeant

Re: Will I be able to max out Planetside 2 at 1366*768?

Originally Posted by ruhtraeel View Post
I'm hoping I can max it out on my laptop and get a decent framerate between 35-60:

i7 2630QM 2.00ghz
8GB DDR3
Nvidia GT 550M
500GB 7200RPM HDD
Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate

I don't really care about AA, so I can turn it off if it helps.

Hopefully I can max it with my laptop, so I don't need to install it on my desktop, which is

i5 2500K 3.3ghz
ATI Radeon 5870x2 1GB VRAM Crossfired
16GB DDR3
250GB + 160GB + 160GB 7200RPM HDD

I've also been hearing that it's very CPU intensive, which is a good and bad thing for me... the i7 in my laptop... IS an i7, but each core is slow (2.00ghz), so if it's heavily optimized for multiple cores, I'll be happy!
Short answer...no. That card does not match up to even the minimum recommended discrete GPU. So you will have to install it on your desktop to get playable framerates at higher than low detail settings. Are you in beta though? You could just install it on your desktop and copy/paste the install to the laptop just to see how it will run...
Old 2012-09-07, 10:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
ruhtraeel
Private

Originally Posted by JawsOfLife View Post
Short answer...no. That card does not match up to even the minimum recommended discrete GPU. So you will have to install it on your desktop to get playable framerates at higher than low detail settings. Are you in beta though? You could just install it on your desktop and copy/paste the install to the laptop just to see how it will run...
I thought it was still in closed beta? And I just googled the system reqs, are they these? If they are, I'm pretty sure my laptop reaches them.

Current Minimum System Requirements
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 or higher / AMD Phenom II X2 or higher
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Hard Drive: 15 GB free
Video Memory: 256 MB RAM
Video Card: nVidia GeForce 8600 series or higher / AMD or ATI 4850 series or higher
Sound Card: DirectX compatible

Current Recommended System
Processor: Intel i5 processor or higher / AMD Phenom II X6 or higher
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Video Memory: 1,024 MB RAM
Video Card: nVidia GeForce 500 series or higher / AMD HD 6870 or higher

EDIT: That's weird that they say an nVidia GeFore 500 series or higher, but an AMD HD 6870 or higher. I mean, a GT 520 probably wouldn't reach recommended, would it? Or are they just optimizing it more for nVidia cards?

That being said, if it's needed, I'll sacrifice portability if that's what it takes to run it all maxed out. It seems that the game isn't too demanding, as SideStrafe said he was getting 80-90FPS with a GTX 680, something which is close to a 5870 CF'ed.

Last edited by ruhtraeel; 2012-09-07 at 10:16 PM.
Old 2012-09-07, 10:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

laptop
Thats where you lost.

Laptops issues are not the technical power, but heat. And PS2 will stress your laptop. In theory, you could propably play just fine. But you will run into heat problems, wich cause clocks to go down rapidly, and bang you got 0 FPS.

Play it on the desktop man, like its meant to be played. But obviously give it a Try on the Laptop. Even if it doesnt work right now, it may do once its fully optmized.
Old 2012-09-07, 11:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
ruhtraeel
Private

Originally Posted by basti View Post
Thats where you lost.

Laptops issues are not the technical power, but heat. And PS2 will stress your laptop. In theory, you could propably play just fine. But you will run into heat problems, wich cause clocks to go down rapidly, and bang you got 0 FPS.

Play it on the desktop man, like its meant to be played. But obviously give it a Try on the Laptop. Even if it doesnt work right now, it may do once its fully optmized.
Heat certainly is annoying, but it doesn't affect gameplay too much from my experiences. When I play BF3 with everything on high on this laptop, the CPU gets to like 93 degrees and the GPU like 85 degrees, which still doesn't throttle it. It averages about 30-50 FPS with those settings in singleplayer. This is also the only game that reaches temperatures this high; other games like Starcraft 2 and Rage only get to mid 80's on the CPU and mid 70's on the GPU.

It would just be nice to be able to play it on the go, like at the university and stuff when I have nothing to do.\

(I'm using a Lenovo Y470)
My old Dell XPS M1330, on the other hand... did not like games. It got to 100+ restart-worthy temperatures, and eventually the GPU died because of the flawed 8xxx laptop series from Nvidia.

Last edited by ruhtraeel; 2012-09-07 at 11:29 PM.
Old 2012-09-08, 01:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
JawsOfLife
Sergeant

I thought it was still in closed beta? And I just googled the system reqs, are they these? If they are, I'm pretty sure my laptop reaches them.

Current Minimum System Requirements
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 or higher / AMD Phenom II X2 or higher
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Video Memory: 256 MB RAM
Video Card: nVidia GeForce 8600 series or higher / AMD or ATI 4850 series or higher

Current Recommended System
Processor: Intel i5 processor or higher / AMD Phenom II X6 or higher
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Video Memory: 1,024 MB RAM
Video Card: nVidia GeForce 500 series or higher / AMD HD 6870 or higher

EDIT: That's weird that they say an nVidia GeFore 500 series or higher, but an AMD HD 6870 or higher. I mean, a GT 520 probably wouldn't reach recommended, would it? Or are they just optimizing it more for nVidia cards?

That being said, if it's needed, I'll sacrifice portability if that's what it takes to run it all maxed out. It seems that the game isn't too demanding, as SideStrafe said he was getting 80-90FPS with a GTX 680, something which is close to a 5870 CF'ed.
You're reading a little too much into the system specs. The recommendation of "GeForce 500 series" first of all is a DESKTOP card requirement. Laptop equivalents, or "m" series, are much less powerful than similarly numbered desktop parts. They really mean, GTX 550Ti or higher for the recommended specs.

And yes, heat dissipation is a big problem with laptops, often they can't run full speed for long because of this problem.

Finally, no, crossfired 5870s are NOT equal or even really that close to a 680. Also, yeah it is in closed beta but they're raining beta keys.
Old 2012-09-08, 05:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Dagron
Captain

My laptop is pretty much the same as the OP's and it definitely can't handle the current max, but it can handle medium settings (a few things tuned down help a lot in big fights), which is pretty good for a laptop running a game that's not even out yet.

My advice is the same as others around here though, you'd be better off running it on a desktop. I'm only playing at my lappy because my desktop is very old, and i'm waiting for PS2 to come out to buy a new one (hopefully by then a PC that can handle ultra settings will be a little cheaper).
Old 2012-09-08, 05:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
JawsOfLife
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Dagron View Post
My laptop is pretty much the same as the OP's and it definitely can't handle the current max, but it can handle medium settings (a few things tuned down help a lot in big fights), which is pretty good for a laptop running a game that's not even out yet.

My advice is the same as others around here though, you'd be better off running it on a desktop. I'm only playing at my lappy because my desktop is very old, and i'm waiting for PS2 to come out to buy a new one (hopefully by then a PC that can handle ultra settings will be a little cheaper).
According to SOE, PCs that can run ultra won't even exist for quite awhile. As it stands, the highest settings on this game are not absurdly intensive, since it is DX9. Games like Metro 2033 are more intensive than Ps2.
Old 2012-09-09, 06:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
ruhtraeel
Private

You're reading a little too much into the system specs. The recommendation of "GeForce 500 series" first of all is a DESKTOP card requirement. Laptop equivalents, or "m" series, are much less powerful than similarly numbered desktop parts. They really mean, GTX 550Ti or higher for the recommended specs.

And yes, heat dissipation is a big problem with laptops, often they can't run full speed for long because of this problem.

Finally, no, crossfired 5870s are NOT equal or even really that close to a 680. Also, yeah it is in closed beta but they're raining beta keys.
You originally said it doesn't even meet the minimum, which I'm pretty sure it does.

Assuming a 7970 isn't far behind from a GTX 680, most places on google say that CF 5870 is equal or a bit better than a 7970 in older games, with the 7970 being equal or a bit better in newer games.

I don't need 80-90 FPS like SideStrafe; I'd be happy with 40-60.
Old 2012-09-09, 10:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
JawsOfLife
Sergeant

You originally said it doesn't even meet the minimum, which I'm pretty sure it does.

Assuming a 7970 isn't far behind from a GTX 680, most places on google say that CF 5870 is equal or a bit better than a 7970 in older games, with the 7970 being equal or a bit better in newer games.

I don't need 80-90 FPS like SideStrafe; I'd be happy with 40-60.
I looked up CF 5870 benches, you are right, they beat out the old GTX 580 so they will be closeish to a 680, obviously a lot hotter/more power hungry but similar performance.

I do however stand firm in my assessment of a GT550m not meeting minimum. Look up "graphics card hierarchy chart" in google, and look for that card. It is waaaaayyyy down the list.
Old 2012-09-10, 07:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
ruhtraeel
Private

I looked up CF 5870 benches, you are right, they beat out the old GTX 580 so they will be closeish to a 680, obviously a lot hotter/more power hungry but similar performance.

I do however stand firm in my assessment of a GT550m not meeting minimum. Look up "graphics card hierarchy chart" in google, and look for that card. It is waaaaayyyy down the list.
I looked at the AMD side of the requirements, and a desktop 4850 does indeed beat out my 550M...

I guess I'll install it on my desktop then, if that's what it takes to max it out.

Last edited by ruhtraeel; 2012-09-10 at 07:23 PM.
Old 2012-09-10, 10:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
OnexBigxHebrew
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by basti View Post
Thats where you lost.

Not all laptops should be lumped together. My laptop typically runs this game very well on Medium, and not bad on high. 560m 2gb DDR5, i7 2670qm sandy, 12gb ddr3 ram, badass cooling.

One patch gave me insane stutter, then fixed. I think the 'way its meant to be played' is subjective. Average 50 FPS on medium seems fine with me...and to be fair, graphically PS2 kind of looks like shit compared to most modern games lol.

I run BF3 on high/ultra, but this game is more CPU inensive with much less impressive graphics, as with all MMO's. Laptop CPU's are much weaker than desktop ones. However, the game just isn't that graphically intense. All CPU here.

And to be fair, I've never gone above 60% utilization on my GPU, even on high. :/
Old 2012-09-11, 01:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
ruhtraeel
Private

Originally Posted by OnexBigxHebrew View Post
Not all laptops should be lumped together. My laptop typically runs this game very well on Medium, and not bad on high. 560m 2gb DDR5, i7 2670qm sandy, 12gb ddr3 ram, badass cooling.

One patch gave me insane stutter, then fixed. I think the 'way its meant to be played' is subjective. Average 50 FPS on medium seems fine with me...and to be fair, graphically PS2 kind of looks like shit compared to most modern games lol.

I run BF3 on high/ultra, but this game is more CPU inensive with much less impressive graphics, as with all MMO's. Laptop CPU's are much weaker than desktop ones. However, the game just isn't that graphically intense. All CPU here.

And to be fair, I've never gone above 60% utilization on my GPU, even on high. :/
There are definitely laptops that can run this well, like the Eurocom Scorpius , but Yeah I would actually say that laptop graphics cards are further than desktop ones, while processors are closer. I mean, Clevo managed to put a desktop i7 and desktop RAM into a laptop, but putting a desktop GTX 680 in a laptop is just silly. Added to the fact that a GTX 680m, the best laptop chip out there, is only about equivalent to a desktop GTX 560 Ti or so. Pretty much anything that isn't the Eurocom Scorpius can't Max out EVERY game (Scorpius has a GTX 680m SLI )

Last edited by ruhtraeel; 2012-09-11 at 01:25 AM.
Old 2012-09-11, 08:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
OnexBigxHebrew
Sergeant Major

There are definitely laptops that can run this well, like the Eurocom Scorpius , but Yeah I would actually say that laptop graphics cards are further than desktop ones, while processors are closer. I mean, Clevo managed to put a desktop i7 and desktop RAM into a laptop, but putting a desktop GTX 680 in a laptop is just silly. Added to the fact that a GTX 680m, the best laptop chip out there, is only about equivalent to a desktop GTX 560 Ti or so. Pretty much anything that isn't the Eurocom Scorpius can't Max out EVERY game (Scorpius has a GTX 680m SLI )
The main idea here being that planetside doesn't even come close to maxing out my GPU. Pretty ugly game (Don't get me wrong - looks better than I'd expect for an MMOFPS, lol), but loading all those players/vehicles at once is hard on CPUs and thats where people run into trouble. That and the fact that HDD's have been limiting as well.

Believe me though, these weak ass graphics don't even touch my GPU like any other modern game. Player Count is the issue for most laptops.
Old 2012-09-13, 12:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
ruhtraeel
Private

Originally Posted by OnexBigxHebrew View Post
The main idea here being that planetside doesn't even come close to maxing out my GPU. Pretty ugly game (Don't get me wrong - looks better than I'd expect for an MMOFPS, lol), but loading all those players/vehicles at once is hard on CPUs and thats where people run into trouble. That and the fact that HDD's have been limiting as well.

Believe me though, these weak ass graphics don't even touch my GPU like any other modern game. Player Count is the issue for most laptops.
Yeah apparently Planetside 2's textures are quite ugly, but AFAIK they will definitely be updated come release time, which will probably tax the GPU much more than it currently does. Then at least I can say it's worth it to use my desktop to run.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion