News: The Lightning First Look! [[Updated] Images]] - Page 7 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: You just got rickrolled.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-26, 05:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #91
Sirisian
Colonel

Re: The Lightning

Originally Posted by Brusi View Post
Redo:
[...]
Exactly what I was imagining. The only subtle change is to even out the tracks so they're both the same smaller length. Other than that it keeps true to the original compact tank design from Planetside 1.
Old 2012-04-26, 05:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #92
Seagoon
Corporal

Re: The Lightning First Look!

Reminds me of the Nod Light tank in C&C renegade. Which is a good thing
Old 2012-04-26, 05:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #93
Badjuju
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Brusi View Post
Redo:

professional mspaintchop

i do wedding photography as well...
I think some people may be holding on to nostalgia and just need some time to get use to the new look. Was awkward at first glance from what I expected, but after looking a bit I actually love it. The short version looks like a buggy/clown tank (which shoots water) to me while the long looks like a tank, and looks like it is built to haul ass. Some of the angles make it look longer than it is I think too. The TR shot doesn't look as long. Long front = lots of engine space and tons of traction, looks appropriate and beastly to me.

Last edited by Badjuju; 2012-04-26 at 05:18 PM.
Old 2012-04-26, 05:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #94
Badjuju
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Furber View Post
I agree, the lightning is supposed to be the light tank where the vanguard/whatever else is supposed to be the heavier version.

It looks pretty large (or long I suppose) compared to the Sunderer, which I always thought was a massive hulking truck (As it should be).

Awesome that you guys decided to call the AA turret the "Skyguard turret", the sky guard will be with the game in spirit!
Here is the tr shot I was mentioning.
Old 2012-04-26, 05:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #95
Nobel
Master Sergeant

I like the longer length.
Old 2012-04-26, 05:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #96
QuantumMechanic
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

The more I look at the new lightning, the more I realize it does look like a tank moreso than the original.

I am hoping that there are different weapon configurations (there must be... customization!), and that at least one of them has two different weapons - anti armor cannon on the right and anti-infantry chain gun on the left. Like the original did. Yes, I did quite love the original one a lot.
Old 2012-04-26, 05:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #97
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

Seems like it should be much smaller, or somethin else to give it its own niche. Right now its just a faster vanguard with less armor. You can already instantly switch to the AA gun on a vannie as the driver so there's no real change there other than you cant drive and use the AA gun at the exact same time, imo i'd rather have the MBT armor since you really cant drive fast and shoot targets in the air at the same time anyway. (which kinda brings up the point as to why AA vehicles should be two man, makes no sense as one man since you cant stare at sky and drive at the same time anyway.)

Just needs more than just speed to differentiate itself imo, tweaked smaller in size and maybe somethin special it can do the MBT's cant. Some special ability or somethin.

Honestly with its overly huge size and the odd design, i thought they were gonna say that it pivoted in the middle to transform into some kind of artillery or "deployed mode".
Waiting for the return of the superior, real PS style teamwork oriented vehicles with drivers not gunning, and in fixed vehicle slots so we can once again have real, epic, vehicle battles where the tanks actually move in combat rather than a silly 1700's era line up and shoot.

Last edited by BorisBlade; 2012-04-26 at 05:49 PM.
Old 2012-04-26, 05:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #98
headcrab13
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by BorisBlade View Post
Seems like it should be much smaller, or somethin else to give it its own niche. Right now its just a faster vanguard with less armor.
Actually it's quite a bit different. This is the replacement for the Skyguard and will be far better equipped for AA than the Vanguard.

That, coupled with a top speed probably double what the Vannie can do, will easily set it apart.
Old 2012-04-26, 06:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #99
Notser
Staff Sergeant

considering all the attachments that could be placed there I think the length is fine, remember if there is a AA setup that extends over the chassis then everyone would be saying this looks stupid.

wait until we see it with all the different attachments
Old 2012-04-26, 06:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #100
Sirisian
Colonel

Okay home from work and I had time to edit it to how I'd prefer. Like I said I just didn't like the length so my change is subtle.
Old 2012-04-26, 06:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #101
Saieno
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

To give everyone an idea of the scale, it looks about half the size of the Vanguard from what I can see of this screenshot here. You can see a Lightning and Vanguard somewhat on the same plane along the trail, makes it a little easier to guesstimate the scale.

So taking that into consideration I put this together. I'm sure it's not exactly right, but this is what I would expect the Lightning size would be in comparison to a Vanguard.

Old 2012-04-26, 06:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #102
Furber
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
Okay home from work and I had time to edit it to how I'd prefer. Like I said I just didn't like the length so my change is subtle.
THIS looks like a perfect change.
Old 2012-04-26, 06:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #103
Oryon22
First Sergeant

I like the low and sleek look. Keep it long.

Old 2012-04-26, 06:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #104
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

Personally I love the long and low profile of the new lightning. IMO keep it how it is.

Old 2012-04-26, 06:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #105
Raymac
Brigadier General

I think it's neat that people like to put their own spin on it. Every time the devs release something new, people are always Monday morning quarterbacking and saying tweek this or adjust that. I can only imagine the discussions the devs have about the designs before we get to see it.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion