News: The Lightning First Look! [[Updated] Images]] - Page 8 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: By Yoda quote submitted.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-26, 06:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #106
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

Re: The Lightning First Look!

Originally Posted by headcrab13 View Post
Actually it's quite a bit different. This is the replacement for the Skyguard and will be far better equipped for AA than the Vanguard.

That, coupled with a top speed probably double what the Vannie can do, will easily set it apart.
Meh, still not enough, somewhat better AA and more speed? Thats not enough, could do that with a MBT upgrade or somethin. If the tank was much smaller then yeah, speed an size and then if the weapons were unique to the lightning, that could do it. But if its dam near the same size and its just a little beefier gun and speed are the only difference then meh, that seems like a waste of resources when you already let MBT's be solo tanks.

Dont get me wrong, I love variety but only if its actual variety and not just cosmetic stuff with minor differences like you get in many of the modern "brown" shooters. I vote putting MBT's back to forced multiple crews and let the rambo players have the lightning. Then it definitely has a niche.
Waiting for the return of the superior, real PS style teamwork oriented vehicles with drivers not gunning, and in fixed vehicle slots so we can once again have real, epic, vehicle battles where the tanks actually move in combat rather than a silly 1700's era line up and shoot.
Old 2012-04-26, 07:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #107
JPalmer
Master Sergeant

I'm sure the Lightning will have it's pros and cons towards MBT's Everyone calm down and wait for beta. Lightnings will be no where near as tough on vehicles, it has a unique anti-air weapon, its sleeker making hard to hit, more maneuverability than your regular MBT, and most likely can all be operated by one person. That is enough difference from the MBTs for me.

MBTs will need 2 or 3 people to operate and the AA gun will probably not be as handy as the lightnings.
Old 2012-04-26, 07:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #108
Blackwolf
First Lieutenant

Re: The Lightning

Originally Posted by Brusi View Post
Redo:

professional mspaintchop

i do wedding photography as well...
That looks cool too, but I personally don't mind it being so long. Kinda like it better actually.
Old 2012-04-26, 07:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #109
PredatorFour
Major

Good to see the brave little toaster has now matured, grown a set of balls... and can now bake loafs, bagels and french sticks !
Old 2012-04-26, 07:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #110
Vancha
Colonel

It doesn't look like it'd be particularly fast, but it's hard to tell what scale it's at. It could be far smaller next to an MBT than we're imagining, then I guess it might look more suitable for it's role?

Don't get me wrong, it certainly looks cool, but it also looks quite a bit like a Vanguard, which aren't known for their speed.
Old 2012-04-26, 07:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #111
NlightN
Private

I think the overall design gives it a sleek feel to it. So the extended front, if that's the reason for it, isn't necessary to give that impression. I'm going to have to agree with the others cut it down to about half.

...and then paste the rest of it onto the Prowler .
Old 2012-04-26, 07:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #112
Toppopia
Major

Maybe its longer so it can have a bigger engine allowing more speed.

Last edited by Toppopia; 2012-04-26 at 07:23 PM.
Old 2012-04-26, 07:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #113
headcrab13
Second Lieutenant

Due to the original design being far too short for my taste, I've created a mockup of the Lightning 2.0:

What do you mean "overcompensating"?
Old 2012-04-26, 07:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #114
Aurmanite
Captain

It looks badass.

I wouldn't change a damn thing.
Old 2012-04-26, 07:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #115
Erendil
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by QuantumMechanic View Post
I am hoping that there are different weapon configurations (there must be... customization!), and that at least one of them has two different weapons - anti armor cannon on the right and anti-infantry chain gun on the left. Like the original did. Yes, I did quite love the original one a lot.
God I certainly hope so. They've been building the Lightning up to be the most versatile tank, but then they appear to have removed the Dual-weapon turret, which is the very thing that made it so versatile to begin with. And then on top of that they tack on the ability to switch internally between seat positions in the MBT, making the Lightning even less versatile by contrast.

I really really really hope the dual-weapon turret is still an option for the Lightning because this was my favorite vehicle in PS1, and limiting it to just a single weapon on the turret choice will greatly diminish both its versatility and its survivability, as well as my own enjoyment in its use. *sigh* That coaxial LMG needs to be there in all configs, IMO. Heck, the PS1 Skyguard (which this is supposed to replace) had a dual-turret as well...

But then, the cannon is off-center on the turret and it looks like there might be a placeholder for a coaxial LMG on the left. Maybe the model just isn't complete yet?

Oh, and before anyone says anything, configurability <> versatility.

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
Okay home from work and I had time to edit it to how I'd prefer. Like I said I just didn't like the length so my change is subtle.

Yep that's almost exactly how I'd prefer it too. Redrum's design in general is incredibly slick-looking and it definitely feels like a faster and beefier tank than the original. It also looks a lot like a NS vehicle. But IMO it's a little too long in the front to be proportional.

Plus the Devs have imagined the Lightning to be used in a lot of side-strafing and circling attacks against larger vehicles, but then it's given a side profile that's almost as long as the Vanguard's, making it a huge target during those maneuvers it's allegedly designed to be doing. It seems a bit counter-intuitive.

Don't get me wrong tho. I luv the design as a whole. Just shorten the length and give it a coaxial LMG and we're golden.

Last edited by Erendil; 2012-04-26 at 07:56 PM.
Old 2012-04-26, 07:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #116
Reginald
Private

Color scheme on the VS model looks wonderful.
Old 2012-04-26, 07:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #117
Sardus
Contributor
Captain

I dono - I kinda like it reminds me of the NOD tank from command and conquer LOL

Twitter@TRG_gamingclan
Old 2012-04-26, 07:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #118
xSquirtle
Staff Sergeant

This is what I thought of when I first saw this lighting.

Originally Posted by UrielVS
Looking from the outside in. The game does not represent Planetside. With original concepts that players across the board accepted with open arms; have been taken out. Developers are creating the next COD on a massive scale. Generic players who never saw or even felt the uniqueness of the game, will only continue to nod their heads with blinding satisfaction, not realizing what basic functionality the game will lose in the process.
Old 2012-04-26, 07:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #119
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

Nice! Thank you so much for sticking with the quad-track design. I do also think it looks a bit long. If this thing is longer then a Prowler I'ma be a bit upset
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none

Last edited by Lonehunter; 2012-04-26 at 07:54 PM.
Old 2012-04-26, 08:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #120
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by BorisBlade View Post
Meh, still not enough, somewhat better AA and more speed? Thats not enough, could do that with a MBT upgrade or somethin.
Fucking christ, what don't you get? It's faster than any vehicle except the buggies: And we haven't even seen how fast those go. It's not "somewhat" better AA, it's called the best AA vehicle in the game. It's called the freaking Skyguard turret. It's flack. The only secondary guns on that we've seen on tanks, in GDC videos, weren't particularly effective until the plane was hovering meters above ground.
We don't even know if those were the tanks' AA guns or not.

Essentially, you've go no idea how much better than Lightning is at AA than an MBT or how much faster than an MBT it really is. Quit bitching about shit before you have anything to compare it to.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion