Snipers: Because I care. - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: All your content are belong to us!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-04-12, 06:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
EarlyDawn
Major General

Damnit. We all seemed sure before the NDA was dissolved.

Can anyone else confirm?
Old 2003-04-12, 06:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Tegadil
Corporal

Originally posted by Venoxile
I loved that in halo, sniping people out of their warthogs as they ran away. You ever snipe an elite out of one of the covenant tanks in single player? Hardest shit ever, you have to have the shot hit him in like a 3 inch squared area on him.

Back in the day (about 2 weeks ago) I owned people so bad in 12 player games (system link) with the pistol and the sniper rifle together. Damn that was some ownage, i love shooting people out of tanks.
Ever snipe a banshee? Seriously.

I saw my cousin do it, second level, very beginning. It crahsed and the corpse had already fallen out. Went for a nice long joyride.

And I despise the pistol - easily one of the most unbalanced weapons. It's got good accuracy, ammo capacity, good damage, and from a range, it's nigh impossible to tell where the damage is coming from. At least the sniper rifle gave you a tracer.

Please insert face.
Old 2003-04-12, 08:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
NeoTassadar
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally posted by Warborn
Woo, now that the NDA is gone I can talk about it. The Lancer sucks ass for sniping. I find it really odd that people would even consider using it to snipe to be honest. First, the game has what seems to me like damage modifiers based on the type of target you're hitting. Meaning, infantry are extremely resistant to anti-vehicular weapons. It would take you more shots with a Lancer to kill someone than it would with a Bolt Driver, by far. Not only that, but the Lancer doesn't have a very good built-in scope like the Bolt Driver. To further compound matters, Lancer clips are much larger than a Bolt Driver clip in terms of how much inventory space is consumed, and their clips only hold 4 rounds rather than the 5 a Bolt Driver has (this is common for all anti-vehicular weapons -- they take up much space). And on top of all that, the Lancer, despite its very good accuracy, is not as accurate as a Bolt Driver at extreme ranges, I can guarentee you.

So, Lancer sniping is really not a good way to snipe. But as a side note, I don't think the Lancer leaves any projectile trail (it's difficult to tell when you fire it, because it's instant-hit more or less).
I guess you know better than me (you've played). Okay, so AV doesn't work well on infantry at all. Sound weird but it's a balance thing, I can deal with it. Or are you talking resistant in proportion to their usual damage? Pointed out ammo issue already. No huge purple trail? Sweet. I'll still be able to snipe vehicles and go AA, but better now.
Only thing I even semi-disagree with you this time is the scope. It's not built in, but that's easily fixed with implants.
Old 2003-04-12, 09:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

I guess you know better than me (you've played). Okay, so AV doesn't work well on infantry at all. Sound weird but it's a balance thing, I can deal with it.
Yeah, it doesn't make sense, but it's in the spirit of game balance. Otherwise we'd have rocket launchers and energy cannons ruling the game.

Or are you talking resistant in proportion to their usual damage?
The Lancer does a lot of damage to vehicles, but it does a lot less to infantry. It's still dangerous if you get hit with it, but that's not saying much, as it's very difficult to hit infantry with it, and it's also extremely limited in ammo capacity. But, yes, to directly answer the question, infantry must get a damage reduction when hit with AV weapons, because the damage these things do to a vehicle would probably kill an infantryman outright if it were directly translated.

No huge purple trail? Sweet. I'll still be able to snipe vehicles and go AA, but better now.
I'm pretty sure it doesn't leave a trail. The thing is that it hits its target almost instantly, so it's hard to tell if it leaves a trail or not when you're firing it yourself. Once Staging comes up I'll go on my Vanu character and fire in in 3rd person though, to settle it once and for all.

Only thing I even semi-disagree with you this time is the scope. It's not built in, but that's easily fixed with implants.
That's a given. Wouldn't make much difference though, as I doubt the Lancer retains its accuracy at extreme zoom (which the Bolt Driver does).
Old 2003-04-12, 09:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
NeoTassadar
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally posted by Warborn
That's a given. Wouldn't make much difference though, as I doubt the Lancer retains its accuracy at extreme zoom (which the Bolt Driver does).
Probably retains its accuracy enough for its primary purpose, however. We are dealing with large targets, there. And I've always found it easier to track targets at very long ranges, no matter how small that target becomes on the screen. The only exception has been using support heavy machine guns in Ghost Recon. But that's just me. Got sidetracked a bit, but I guess that sort of fits in with the range/CoF thing.
Old 2003-04-12, 10:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

The Lancer is accurate, make no mistake about it, but I don't believe at very high magnifications that it would retain its seemingly pin-point accuracy as the Bolt Driver does. The Lancer isn't meant for extreme ranges, it's meant for long range, and against reasonably large targets, so I doubt its targetting reticule stay as small as the Bolt Driver's when zoomed in as far as you can.
Old 2003-04-12, 10:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
NeoTassadar
Lieutenant Colonel

Again ruling out infantry at that range (you're having the first moment of redundancy I've seen from you). But vehicles...
Old 2003-04-13, 12:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

It's good for sniping large vehicles, very bad for sniping infantry.
Old 2003-04-13, 12:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
Vis Armata
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Thanks for posting some quality information, Warborn
Old 2003-04-13, 01:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
darkfireknight2
Private

Thats great and all but take away there ammo and snipers are just cowards behind rocks. also, head shots HaHaHaHaHa try shooting through a ten foot thick block of NC steel.

Screw System requirements I'm running Ps on a 8mgb video card with a 28k connection. And incase you are wondering i am the asshole stuck in the respawn tube, so?

Old 2003-04-13, 01:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
darkfireknight2
Private

As for prior comments to all of you snipers (YOU WILL DIE) Tribes orginal left a deep seated hatred of snipers. Vengance shall be mine.

Screw System requirements I'm running Ps on a 8mgb video card with a 28k connection. And incase you are wondering i am the asshole stuck in the respawn tube, so?

Old 2003-04-13, 01:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
NeoTassadar
Lieutenant Colonel

at ^ for several reasons.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion