Day One: Vehicles and Armor - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Remember - it's adopt a noob month!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2002-10-30, 11:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Hamma
PSU Admin

/me passes unreg a ciggarette

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2002-10-30, 12:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
RocketFodder
Keeper of h8ball

You claim you can't enjoy the game without using vehicles. If this is REALLY the case, then either 1) PS isn't your game, or 2) You need to get ahold of a nice squad that can level a base quickly and promote you to your first cert qualification.

Some things = drop pods, warp gates.

The idea of a quad or something usable without a cert would undermine those who certified to use it, so I dont see any practicality to this addition. The idea of starting with 1 cert in character creation is intruiging, however.

While I don't know everything (as I doubt even Dave himself does, at this point), I do know a lot more than the average fan about this game. If you want to attack me for trying to help share what I know, then enjoy your stay in ignoranceville next to the rest of the FAQless nubs.

BTW, next gay pride parade, I'll be sure to invite you.
Old 2002-10-30, 12:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Hamma
PSU Admin

ok i demand we begin to spread in this thread

Old 2002-10-30, 01:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Unregistered
Contributor
Custom Title

I didn't start this debate with the intent of flaming anyone. I asked a question in the other thread and you attacked me. I'll admit that when creating this thread my intent was to make you look foolish, but I think I am over that now.

I have played a lot of RPG games, and a lot of FPS games in my life, and I can tell you that Planetside is the type of game for me.

See that's where I think this whole thing went wrong. You seem to think that I want to be able to start tossing around Planet Busters (anyone ever play Alpha Centuri?) on day one, but that's not the case at all. I am all for earning things as we go along. That's half the fun of an RPG is getting to the next level, and thinking about what new thing you'll be able to do when you get there.

But in every RPG game I have ever played they at least start you down the path you want to go durring charecter creation. Like picking weather your going to be a Paliden, or a Barbarian, or a Wizzard. Your still weak when you start, but your already heading down a path.

Now I realize that Planetside is very diffrent then most games I have played, but I still think that either something should be in the game that no cert is required for or you should get one or 2 certs durring charecter creation. Once your headed down a chosen path, then earning more certs and getting more powerful will be the thing to look forward to.

The only other way I could possibly see doing it is making the BEP requirement for your first Cert very low, so that if you are stuck on foot in a flack jacket and a pistol you won't be getting owned forever.

I appreciate having you around the forums, and you offer a lot of good insight into things. I just don't apreciate getting called a cheater and a nub by someone that doesn't even know me.

If you want to start the debate over without the flames I'm willing.
Old 2002-10-30, 01:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Zarparchior
Dragoon Admiral

Actually, you both need to calm down and not worry. Unreg, nigh everything will require certs. It may seem unfortunate, but I can promise IT IS NOT. There will still be people with vehicles within the first week (if not sooner).

How will this be so? I remember hearing the devs say there WILL be some kind of VR training, and you will be able to earn some BEP there to help jumpstart your epic journey. This is VERY wise of them, as it allows players to try the vehicles/weapons they would like to, and also get some BEP so that every n00b will NOT just start out with a cloth shirt and a rusty sword. I'm sure some of the common pool weapons (among empire specific pistols) will be attainable after VR training. In othewords, you could have 2 characters who did VR training. One of them took a cert for the Buggy, another took a cert for the amp. This way, all n00bs will not necessarily just drop out there with a pistol and a flak jacket. They may also have an amp or the like in their pocket.

I may be wrong... but I doubt it. I guess if someone calls my blu- I mean, uh, thinks I'm incorrect, then I'll just have to go a-hunting for the info. But please don't. I enj0y being lazy.
Old 2002-10-30, 03:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Manitou
Contributor
Old War Horse

If the CDL has its guys together in the first day, I can guarantee we won't be running around in a frag-fest!

There will be a coordinated effort to see that we q0wn at least one continent by day's end. I...want...this...game........NOW!

HOWOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Manitou
"
On the plains of hesitation lie the bones of countless millions who, upon the dawn of victory, sat down to rest and resting, died."
<))><
Old 2002-10-30, 04:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Hamma
PSU Admin

I want my character to start out in a loin cloth.

mmmmm

Old 2002-10-30, 04:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Unregistered
Contributor
Custom Title

You'll need to get your Textile Cert first
Old 2002-10-30, 04:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Hamma
PSU Admin

damn

Old 2002-10-30, 05:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
RocketFodder
Keeper of h8ball

If you want to start the debate over without the flames I'm willing.
*shrugs* I've had my fun I just can't pass up a good argument. In fact, I have to get back to this other one, which is already probably 30+ pages in under 20 posts :| *sighs*
Old 2002-10-30, 05:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Unregistered
Contributor
Custom Title

Debating is fun.

Arguing is stupid.
Old 2002-10-30, 05:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Flashingfish
Forbidden Leader

wooooah

Is this thread old or something? You don't need to pay for anything..or maybe I'm not getting the point.

Obviously you won't be able to do some things for a while because you need the certs, but then you're just going to have to wait. In never winter nights, you have to wait a long time to use some items or weapons (although using new weapons in NWN dosen't feel at satisfying as an fps). It's just a part of the game, which is different to the fps subculture we're all used to.

btw, RF always calls people nubs

Old 2002-10-30, 06:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Kaikou
Second Lieutenant

well..as I said before..unless its a very long process of obtaining vehicles, there should be many seen within the first few days...how in any way could ps be fun if you have to walk across continents to fight, then die, and repeat the process until you can get a cert for a vehicle?

I'm guessing you will *probably* start out with some form of basic transportation cert...buggy maybe...I dunno but I can easily say PS will not be fun without vehicles, no matter how early/late into the game it is..It's not all about getting everything the game has to offer at the beginning, it is more of a start with one thing, and get more things as you progress.

So in short I'm willing to bet that all players will be given a cert to begin with. I'm not sure how certs will work, if ONE cert gets you ANY of the certifications or if some might require more than 1 cert point. But like in asherons call, everquest, DAoC, etc you are given a certain amount of skill credits to start out with so your character can begin a step in the direction they want to go (i.e. dropship pilot, hacker, mosquito pilot, reaver pilot, etc)
Old 2002-10-30, 06:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Unregistered
Contributor
Custom Title

Kai and Fish get my point.

Fish - In NWN you did have to wait a long time to use certian things, and that's what kept me playing (that and I really liked the story.) but if you think back to the Training portion of the game, they gave you level 1 (witch in turn gave you a new skill) before you even met Lady Airibeth.

Kai also points out that all the other MMORPG's he's played they all give you some skill points to use at the start. So that you can start down the path you want before you see any action.

Since we don't know a whole lot about Certs except that we need them, and that you earn them through BEP's I posed the question "Will there be any "basic" vechicles that don't require a cert, or will we be given a cert or 2 in the begining to get us started?"

It really does not sound fun for us all to be stuck with a pistol doing "Walk, Die, Repeat" until we can get our first certs.
Old 2002-10-30, 06:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Zarparchior
Dragoon Admiral

Am I even awknowledged anymore or am I just considered not to make any sense?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion