PSU: SPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge

Old 2006-03-02, 04:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Heavygain
Lieutenant Colonel

Songs I should learn

Well, as stupid as it is I feel like I'm stuck in this loop with my guitar, seem to be improvising the same way, writing the same way, and thinking musically the same way.

So generally when I have this problem I consult my musical archive and listen to some songs that I have ignored in the passed that are rather diverse compared that what I have been playing. But at this point I kinda feel like learning something from a band I've never even listened to. I would go to one of those tab sites but frankly, they are full of 12 year old children that couldn't play "Under the bridge" even if they had 6 hours to learn the rhythm alone.

So, List me some songs that I should learn. One person says stairway to heaven and I will kashnikov all over their ass. Plus I know my share of Zeppelin. Oh and I know my share of hendrix. So gimme some shit outta the box, some shit that I might enjoy, and I dont like 80's metal. Get at it
Old 2006-03-02, 05:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Learn how to play a different instument. Helps a ton to get a new perspective.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2006-03-02, 05:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Ivan
Contributor
teh Sexb0t

George Benson. Look him up. Probably not your type of music but like you said you wanted something out side of the box.

Violated by ChiaHamma

Last edited by Ivan; 2006-03-02 at 05:26 PM.
Old 2006-03-02, 05:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Jimmik24
Private

Learn 2 play drums..It's easy and fun! I'm a leet drummer, though :P
Old 2006-03-02, 08:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Fallout Boy

Oh right, you said not your normal music, sorry.
Old 2006-03-02, 08:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Setari
General

Originally Posted by 321
Fallout Boy

I don't think he wants a bunch of lameass powerchords either.
Old 2006-03-02, 08:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Heavygain
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by 321
Fallout Boy

kinda makes me throw up on the inside. Plus I'm willing to bet that if I listened to them, I could figure out 90% of their songs by ear if they are lameass powerchords like Setari says.

I will look into George Benson, forgive me for being somewhat stereotypical but that looks like a semi hollow guitar so blues-like?

Last edited by Heavygain; 2006-03-02 at 08:59 PM.
Old 2006-03-02, 09:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Mag-Mower
General

Misc Info

Do the song "Moskau" On the guitar, and You will be my hero.
Old 2006-03-02, 10:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

Hemmorage, by Fuel
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
Old 2006-03-03, 10:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Ivan
Contributor
teh Sexb0t

Originally Posted by Heavygain
I will look into George Benson, forgive me for being somewhat stereotypical but that looks like a semi hollow guitar so blues-like?
Indeed. But he does have some other sounds too. He's been recording since the 50's I believe so he's anything from classic Rock n' Roll down to 70's & 80's funk and everything in between. Even if it's not really your type of music, you never know you might like something and can tweek or change it to your style.
Violated by ChiaHamma
Old 2006-03-03, 11:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
BlackDrop
Contributor
Sergeant

I don't really have any songs to offer up but I can help with some things that used to keep things fresh for me when I was playing guitar.

I was always a rhythm guitar player by definition - I always liked to write and I never had the patience to learn solos - I kinda wish I did.

Drum Machine - Buy one or download one off the intarweb. You can get them pretty cheap nowadays. Learn how to use it. It will improve any creative writing block. Mixing and matching different beats with tempo changes and added effects flavor the writing aspect immensely. The thing I always ran into when I was writing was you usually write a song from beginning to end with nothing else supporting it - it's strictly guitar without bass, drums or guitar harmonies. Writing just a guitar line can get a little monotonus. A drum machine fills that void and gets you to actually begin hearing the song...and you're not stuck playing constantly. Your dynamics will improve.

Downpicking - you don't have to be a heavy metal monster or love 80s metal to want to improve your downpicking. My roots are in metal but I appreciate and listen to Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Eric Clapton...etc. Anthrax "Caught in a Mosh" and Metallica's Master of Puppets (or anything off of Lightning, Puppets or Justice) are two fun ones to downpick to if you don't have a drum machine. Don't cheat by alternating your picking! The faster you can down pick the better your solos become.

Finger picking - George Thorogood and ZZ Top (Tush is a fun one) use their fingers.

Get that Jamaican thing going! Bob Marley and The Whalers had some great hits and up swing picking is a nice touch to add to the repetoire.

Flogging Molly - To me Irish Celtic rock is more fun to play than country. In a lot of their songs the the chords are changing constantly and some songs you never see the same chord again. Good for the memory and gets you thinking of possible chord combinations you might not have thought before.

Always have fun and don't treat it like work...that's where I went wrong.
Old 2006-03-03, 02:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Ivan
Contributor
teh Sexb0t

I might be mistaken but I think Heavygain started out as a drummer.
Violated by ChiaHamma
Old 2006-03-03, 03:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Heavygain
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Ivan
I might be mistaken but I think Heavygain started out as a drummer.
I'm afraid you are mistaken, kind of, I never really owned a drum set but I can play one better than most the percusionists at my school.

I have a drum machine black, I have a real drummer and bassist to play with to, not to mention my rhythm guitarist, but he doesn't think for himself, he plays what I tell him to.

I am a lead guitarist by definition myself, I can come up with decent rhythm but its just not something I enjoy as much as shredding a solo over it.

Believe me, I got my share of marley goin

I finger pick when I don't have distortion going, and I only use distortion when Im with my rhythm guitarist.

Downpicking eh? Thats new, I always alternate, I will give it a try

Now that I have some time I will look into some George Benson, I'm a fan of blues guitar so I'm sure I will find something I like, blues has fantastic rhythm in my book.

Thanks
Old 2006-03-03, 06:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Ivan
Contributor
teh Sexb0t

Ah that's right it was 1024 who was the drummer. Sorry.
Violated by ChiaHamma
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge