code - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Did you use deodorant?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-04-20, 08:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Cookiesrgud
Private

code

is there a lag code? like the netcode in HL?

sorry :P i'm new to this
Old 2003-04-20, 09:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Cyanide
Major

Yeah. You hit Left - Right - Down - Down - Up - A - B - X - then hold L and R while pressing Start and it will lag like hell.
Old 2003-04-20, 09:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Cookiesrgud
Private

lololol

i'm not new to computers :P

i mean if i shoot at someone (and i have a 200 ping) will my shot be adjusted to hit the person?
Old 2003-04-20, 09:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
air_head1
Corporal

ur wrong Cyanide the first left is actually a right
Old 2003-04-20, 09:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Tieom
Master Sergeant

I don't know the answer, but he's talking about:
Halflife keeps a record of all the events in the last second or so, so that when you do something, it 'rewinds' to compensate for your lag - If your lag is 100 ms, then when you shoot at someone it checks your aim against your target's position 100 ms ago instead of where they actually are NOW. This means you don't have to compensate for lag as you're actually shooting at the 100 ms-ago person, not the 'current' person who you can't see the position of since you havent gotten that info from the server yet due to the 100 ms of latency.

His question is:
Will PS do this, too?
Old 2003-04-20, 10:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Cyanide
Major

It's my experience that most games do this, not just HL. I would not be surprised if PS does it too.
Old 2003-04-20, 10:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Dragon
Private

Half life has client side prediction. Basically it means that if you, at 200ms ping, see an enemy and shoot him, he will get hit according to your screen (I'm not very good at explaining this). This is why some players are sometimes taking hits while they are behind a wall. Even though they moved, the shooter's client had not recognized the move at the time of the 'shooting', so the player is hit.

Q3/UT2003 Engine games do not function this way. Everything is done via the server. For example, if you shoot a rocket with 200ms ping, the server has to first recognize that you shot a rocket before the actual projectile fires. This is way ping is more of a factor in these types of games.

Planetside uses the former method, you do not see the effects of lag while firing, other than an enemy going down two seconds after he would have with a normal ping. While taking fire, you will sometimes move behind cover and still take a hit or two, because other players are seeing your avatar as it was say, 200ms ago, when you were not behind cover.

I think I confused myself with that one. Hoep it helped
Old 2003-04-20, 11:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
FraBaktos
First Sergeant

Thank you people very much, I did not know this. It finally explains why I die right when I run around the corner. I always thought they were using hacks or something lol.

EDIT: Not in PS, in half-life. I don't have my beta discs yet
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion