I have no words. - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Just Play it
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-28, 08:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #61
CutterJohn
Colonel

Re: I have no words.

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
Indeed! Glad you picked that up actually.

It is however different, since the one is backed by an active religion and the morals of THAT religion, while the other has become an expression of neutrality without religious morality, including no bias towards Pantheon gods as that religion is "dead".
A fair point. Few actually know who lady justice is. I didn't, I just had a sneaking suspicion.

EDIT: In fact, the blindfold was added to express just that neutrality in the middle ages. In Roman times, Justitia was not blind. In Roman times the virginity of Justitia resembled the lack of bias (I would presume virginity stood for "uncorrupted").
More roman times fun facts. Homosexuality wasn't frowned on so long as you were the pitcher. Buggering a slave boy was perfectly fine. Instead of calling someone a *** to insult them, you'd say they went down on a woman. To be subservient to a woman? Unthinkable! The ultimate in humiliations!

Various cultural mores throughout the world and history are fascinating.

EDIT2: I presume you see a difference between a cross, crescent moon or weighing scales ornamenting a court of law? Which of the three comes over as least biased?
I would worry most about the moon, since it means I am in very much the wrong country. Here? I am not worried, since it is still just a symbol. Whatever preconceptions or biases the court may have, they will have with or without symbols.

Last edited by CutterJohn; 2012-04-28 at 08:39 AM.
Old 2012-04-28, 08:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #62
Figment
Lieutenant General

Re: I have no words.

Depends on the when too. Today? Maybe not as worrying as when you were a Cathar between the 11th and 14th century.

Inquisition can be a nasty thing.

Also, speaking of French heretics, 'christian' courts and speaking of national symbolism: Jean d'Arc.

Last edited by Figment; 2012-04-28 at 08:54 AM.

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum