Role of MAXs - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Home of the mass OS Team kill
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-05, 09:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Xaine
Major

Role of MAXs

After the recent Heavy Assault update, it seems to me like they're taking on a role similar to that of the MAX in Planetside 1. Heavy Damage, heavy survivability and pretty slow.

Do you think the MAX will just be a bigger version, but alot slower with alot more firepower?

Do you think it will lean more towards being a vehicle than an infantry unit?

Lets get out discussion hats on.
Old 2012-04-05, 09:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Redshift
Major

Re: Role of MAXs

I think they should allow it to remove it's weapon and pick up a riot shield... but meh :P
Old 2012-04-05, 09:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

I felt the HA description sounded like what the MAX description would be. At this point, we'll have to see what the MAX abilities will be and they should have more armor. They will also be even slower and be able to have all their firepower at your finger tips. You two fire buttons will likely be defaulted to left and right click, per the appropriate arm.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2012-04-05, 09:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Magpie
Sergeant Major

I think there role will be more outside then inside like Ps1.looks like the new heavy assault is the old max inside and the new max will become a outside unit battling tanks and aircraft and heavy assaults.

Maybe I don't no
Old 2012-04-05, 09:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Originally Posted by Xaine View Post
Do you think the MAX will just be a bigger version, but alot slower with alot more firepower?
Yes

Do you think it will lean more towards being a vehicle than an infantry unit?
Yes

Lets get out discussion hats on.
I forgot which one the discussion hat was...

In all seriousness, HA is just an infantry unit that can die extremely quickly unless they activate their booster-shield like ability that seems to render them unkillable for 5-7seconds. They're shown to die to just 2 seconds of fire without using this ability. I expect MAXs to take a very, very serious pounding sans shield and I expect them to do even better with repairs. All while dishing out death on a biblical scale, consider this, if Higby's light assault could deal death to other light assaults damn fast, while dealing death to heavy assaults not activating their shield in just a couple seconds and with shield in 7 seconds, how unbelievably terrifying do you think a MAX's firepower is going to be in terms of death dealing speed and power?

It's a if-you-see-it-and-it-sees-you-too then you're dead type deal. Better hope it's not looking at you when you encounter one. That's what I expect.

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com
Old 2012-04-05, 09:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Coreldan
Colonel

I guess we can suppose that MAX still has fixed weapons in hands, this means the HA is still more on the grunt side, as it has more utility through fe. grenades and overall being more mobile than a MAX. I think it was a cool touch in PS that MAXs couldnt even hack doors open.

I don't think theres any major conflict here. I can perfectly see the potential strengths and weaknessess of each LA, HA and MAX without them really stepping on each others toes.

For all we know, HA (RExo) might still be the go-to armor, while more specialized tactics and units might be favoring LA (due to its vertical mobility), while MAX is still set apart from both of them by being the mixture of a vehicle and a grunt.

Also, I believe it was mentioned MAXs could have a weapon in each hand. It could either be like AI/AI or AI/AA etc you get the drill. To be truely devastating in anything it might have to have the AA/AA kinda setup, while a mixed loadout would allow one to be more diverse, but not any kind of WTFPWN strong in either.

I dont personally think MAXs will kill much faster, the TTK would end up nonexistant. I'd say their strength comes more from the longevity. Both in ammo (no need to/less need to reload) as well as durability (being able to stay alive longer), as well as the ability to easily spec in AA, AV or AI. They are obviously going to be slow in probably many aspects.

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube

Last edited by Coreldan; 2012-04-05 at 09:51 AM.
Old 2012-04-05, 10:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Ruffdog
Contributor
First Lieutenant

The role of MAXs...?

Well....we're gonna hurt some people...

Last edited by Ruffdog; 2012-04-05 at 10:18 AM.
Old 2012-04-05, 11:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by EVILPIG View Post
At this point, we'll have to see what the MAX abilities will be and they should have more armor.
I agree. I think the abilities will be the key factor making them unique from HA. Obviously they will have more firepower to some degree and more armor. But in PS1 each MAX had a purpose no grunt could fill. (TR max deploying as stationary turret, VS MAX jumping on walls, NC max running in a door with a sheild)

Without knowing the abilities it's hard to say the role they will fill but it will become clear soon I am sure.

Let's also not forget the ability to sacrifice weapons to run across the battlefield extremely quickly. That alone sets them apart from HA. I am not worried about an overlap in the roles.
Old 2012-04-05, 11:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Canaris
Contributor
General

I have a sneaking suspicion that they'll be designed as siege breakers but then again it's a MMOFPS, they like the rest of the classes will be multi roll but my moneys on SBs.

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2012-04-05, 11:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Xaine View Post
Yup, and a lot more armor
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
Old 2012-04-05, 11:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

I really wish they had thrown out the PS1 stuff about MAXs and made them a class with their own special niche, capable of doing stuff nobody else can do. Every class except heavy assault and MAXs have that going for them. Healing/rezzing, repairing/building, jumpjets, stealthy stuff. All cool features which make those classes which possess them very distinct and useful.

What do MAXs have? Well, instead of taking bullets to kill them, you need to use missiles and stuff. Great. Oh, and they turn slowly. Amazing. Frankly, this seems to me that it'll be a missed opportunity. A lot of work spent developing a class whose job is already taken.
Old 2012-04-05, 12:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Warborn View Post
I really wish they had thrown out the PS1 stuff about MAXs and made them a class with their own special niche, capable of doing stuff nobody else can do. Every class except heavy assault and MAXs have that going for them. Healing/rezzing, repairing/building, jumpjets, stealthy stuff. All cool features which make those classes which possess them very distinct and useful.

What do MAXs have? Well, instead of taking bullets to kill them, you need to use missiles and stuff. Great. Oh, and they turn slowly. Amazing. Frankly, this seems to me that it'll be a missed opportunity. A lot of work spent developing a class whose job is already taken.
I don't understand what you are saying exactly here. In PS1 the MAX's had a niche. Nothing was anything like them. And your missing the main thing that sets them apart, the MAX abilities.

They have confirmed that each MAX will have it's own ability and function. We may not know what these are yet but for the sake of arguement lets say the TR MAX still locks down and deploys. How is this any less specific and niche than a jumpjet on a LA?

No hate, just saying.
Old 2012-04-05, 12:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

From what we've seen from the Com link on Heavies, they will be taking the role MAXs had in PS1.

We still haven't had our 2 paragraphs and 2 details from MAX Week so maybe they'll release something that does make them unique.
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none

Last edited by Lonehunter; 2012-04-05 at 12:35 PM.
Old 2012-04-05, 12:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Redshift
Major

Originally Posted by Lonehunter View Post
From what we've seen from the Com link on Heavies, they will be taking the role MAXs had in PS1.

We still haven't had our 2 paragraphs and 2 details from MAX Week so maybe they'll release something that does make them unique.
Nah the HA just sounds like it gets a deployable shield for a few seconds, can't push anything with that,

MAX will get to eat some punishment whilst moving, that'll be their thing
Old 2012-04-05, 12:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Gonefshn View Post
I don't understand what you are saying exactly here. In PS1 the MAX's had a niche. Nothing was anything like them. And your missing the main thing that sets them apart, the MAX abilities.

They have confirmed that each MAX will have it's own ability and function. We may not know what these are yet but for the sake of arguement lets say the TR MAX still locks down and deploys. How is this any less specific and niche than a jumpjet on a LA?

No hate, just saying.
PS1 did a lot of things poorly, and its implementation of MAXs was bad, in my opinion. Going the same route for PS2 isn't any more acceptable, although with how distinct the other classes are from each other it does make it more egregious in my opinion.

MAX abilities are combat junk. Lockdown, shield, and something else for the VS. And something not unlike the run mode from PS1. None of that is terribly important. The class will still be in direct competition with heavy assault for the title of "king of walking around shooting stuff with guns and doing literally nothing else".

I would have rather they went a totally different direction with the MAXs. Give them a style of combat which is unlike any of the other classes. I remember, before they were described in much detail, I envisioned them as being turned into a close combat class. I think that's the way they should have gone. Given them regular infantry shields (just a lot of it), good speed and mobility, and various melee weapons, flamethrowers, and other stuff. Give Planetside its first close range killer.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion