Servers with FF:Off - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hamma for Jesus 2012
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you want there to be FF: Off servers?
Hell no! 156 82.98%
Sure, why not? 32 17.02%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-03, 03:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
SkitzoSniper
Private

Re: Servers with FF:Off

Originally Posted by Knocky View Post
And Higgles hasn't even broke 2000 yet.

Beta will NEVER start!

Weren't we originally told that beta was going to be LAST march?

Old 2012-04-03, 03:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Clik
Private

I'd say no. It keeps people in check for good and for worse. There is nothing awesome about endless amounts of grenade spam with a squad strolling in without care. It creates impossible to stop situations. FF on also teaches people how to play correctly and aim correctly instead of just slamming their forehead into the left mouse button. In addition people that want to be trolls can be TK'd on site and pushed out.

Last edited by Clik; 2012-04-03 at 07:13 PM.
Old 2012-04-03, 04:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

I will never play a FPS without Friendly Fire activated.

BUT... I've come to a conclusion concerning the Friendly Fire issue. Planetside 2 will be a huge success and there should be tons of players.

If some people want to suffer all the abuse of frag grenade spam and tanks/reavers bombarding anything that moves willy-nilly: let them.

On one side, yes, it may cause a fragmentation of the playerbase (trivial issue if player pops are over 9000). On the other hand, I am not sure I want to play with people who do not understand the concept of Friendly Fire and the great depth it adds to gameplay (along with a good anti-grief system to prevent abuse).

And if ever PS2 is reduced to one server (in hopefully not less than 8-12 years), keep the FF server.

So in the end, I vote FF ONLY because there should be no doubts whatsoever that deactivating FF is a terrible idea.
Old 2012-04-03, 04:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Magpie
Sergeant Major

Hell no, FF is a must
Old 2012-04-03, 05:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Dreamcast
Major

Griefing is a part of life...

If they do FF off servers, that is gonna concentrate the griefers to certain servers which will make it worse
Old 2012-04-03, 05:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
SgtMAD
Captain

I just want to understand something, we have a bunch of devs that have shit for game play experience telling us we don't need platoons and now they want to "turn off" FF

these ppl are friggin idiots

this new mission system will never work, you will have guys like EP(for example) with 500 guys in the 666 so they will all follow him so automatically the large outfit leaders end up with these huge internal pool to create their "follow" list.

you can't see the problem with that?
Old 2012-04-03, 05:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
NCLynx
Major

I wonder how many more times we're going to see "special" servers requested.

No.

Hell, we havent even seen 100% how this prosieben deal is going to work out have we? Don't see the point in asking anything server related until that's 100% ironed out and seen through. Then again I'm against pretty much all of these "special" servers anyway.

SuperTroopers is recruiting for PS2!
Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Really? You need to take a few steps back and think before posting drivel like this. Either reply constructively or don't reply.
Old 2012-04-03, 05:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Papscal
Staff Sergeant

Hell no, talk about a way to remove tactics. All ya do is reward trigger happy hippys with FF.
Old 2012-04-03, 05:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Removing FF won't directly benefit defenders or attackers. I disagree.

What it WILL benefit is the side with the most people in any conflict. FF limits the amount of firepower the unorganised zerg can utilise because if they don't watch their fire they'll end up destroying each other just as much as the enemy. It hurts organisation, it means people don't have to take positions and open fire in formations because they can afford to hit their friends in the backs a few times. It lowers the skill gap considerably and that is always a bad thing.

If SOE really do want to have any kind of esports down the line (which Higby seems to really want) then they need to consider that splitting the playerbase with something like this is seriously going to hurt that. Don't split things up and keep gameplay as one across all servers.

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com
Old 2012-04-03, 05:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
waldizzo
Contributor
First Sergeant

All I have to say about friendly fire is: Operation Metro large conquest on default settings. Everyone hangs out by the stairs and throws grenades.
Old 2012-04-03, 06:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Bruttal
Sergeant Major

I honestly think it would be okay guys and here's why, Even if Friendly fire is turned off spaming a door way with a bunch of friendly's in it will only make that projectile explode on a friendly. it may be bad for some cloaker trying to run up the steps or the group of people who decided to run up chest to chest with the other faction. but play smarter folks it doesn't take much to find a new tactic to win.
Old 2012-04-03, 06:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
SkitzoSniper
Private

Originally Posted by Bruttal View Post
I honestly think it would be okay guys and here's why, Even if Friendly fire is turned off spaming a door way with a bunch of friendly's in it will only make that projectile explode on a friendly. it may be bad for some cloaker trying to run up the steps or the group of people who decided to run up chest to chest with the other faction. but play smarter folks it doesn't take much to find a new tactic to win.
That scenario you just implied wouldn't let me OS the retarded tank gunner for throwing shells into groups of friendlies

Old 2012-04-03, 06:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
laelgon
Corporal

While I'm not going to play on a server with no FF, I can certainly see why they want to do it. I'm sure they anticipate a large portion of the CoD and BF3 crowd to come check out the game. Picture launch day with a few thousand people used to those games' mechanics of no FF. There's going to be a ton of teamkilling by people who don't care about FF or don't even know it's there. You can complain about the dumbing down of shooters and the glory of planetside 1, which I love, but the reality is that there's a lot more people playing Battlefield and CoD than Planetside. Again, I don't want to play on a no FF server, but having them is a sound business decision.
Old 2012-04-03, 06:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Stardouser
Colonel

I think the larger issue here is that it's a good thing they are considering having servers with different settings.

However, FF off specifically is a noobification that allows people to spam explosives with no thought to teammates.
Old 2012-04-03, 06:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Fenrys
Major

You'd also have to turn off friendly clipping to prevent doors and hallways from getting blocked, and automatically deconstruct vehicles that are blocking stuff. There will be lots of ways to abuse such a system and it seems like more trouble than it's worth.

But in principal, I have no objection to turning off FF in a game where explosives are limited by resources.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion