Thoughts on physical barriers and shields? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where Vanguard drive YOU.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-04-06, 12:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Kriegson
Master Sergeant

Thoughts on physical barriers and shields?

Just curious as to what people think of engineers potentially placing physical barriers virtually wherever they please, and certain unit types having access to physical shields?

I understand that realistically, ballistic shields are neither particularly effective, nor useful. On the other hand, with exo-suits and various bits of incredible technology and material forging methods, I would think you could create a "modern" shield to deflect bullets the way a medieval steel shield could deflect arrows.
Perhaps used by MAX's or HA's to help better defend or assault bases and other enclosed areas, or fight their way across killing fields.

I'm not really advocating the idea, I've never really seen ballistic shields done well in any shooter. Just curious as to what others may think.
Old 2012-04-06, 12:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Sirisian
Colonel

Re: Thoughts on physical barriers and shields?

There's been a few discussions about this in regards to base building. As in building small bases on the front lines or to defend. Being able to place like k-rails and other defensive objects that can be destroyed would be amazing.

The assault/riot shields have come up a ton. Here too.
Old 2012-04-06, 12:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
SKYeXile
Major General

Provided they're not the shields that allow friendly fire to pass through then i think they're fine to have.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-04-06, 01:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Kran De Loy
Captain

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
Provided they're not the shields that allow friendly fire to pass through then i think they're fine to have.
ugh, that was my first thought as well.

On the idea being able to being able to deploy anti tank barriers around would be fun.
Old 2012-04-06, 02:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
ProfessorCrow
Private

Love this idea. Some sort of futuristic "sandbags" and tank barriers that engineers can place in good flat areas would be absolutely badass.

All of my want.

-CroW
Old 2012-04-06, 05:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Aractain
Major

Nanite-Bags
Old 2012-04-06, 05:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
Eh, could always be an option, but it would have a drawback like far fewer hitpoints or something
Old 2012-04-06, 06:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Shogun
Contributor
General

i think the placable shields will be just some small cover walls. a little like the covers in the old courtyards. just not solid, but translucent because they are supposed to be shields. just to have another coverpoint when running across open spaces.

what i would like to see is an engineer created riot shield. other soldiers can take it and are totally safe from frontal bullets, but as long as you hold this shield, your weapon stays holstered. so you cannot attack while invincible.
also your back and sides are not covered and you throw the shield away when you switch to a weapon.
this would allow for some evil tactical formations just like the roman shield tortoise formation, with a first line of riotshielders that just open gaps for the guys behind them to fire through.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!

Last edited by Shogun; 2012-04-06 at 06:16 AM.
Old 2012-04-06, 07:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Redshift
Major

I wouldn't mind some deployable cover for outside,

I also would like to give MAXs the abilty to lose weapons and carry a massive sheet of metal, so they can be used to push choke points
Old 2012-04-06, 07:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Zenben
Master Sergeant

I had an idea (that I posted in the forward bases thread) to have the option to swap out passenger seats in the Sunderer for the ability to deploy some sort of wall out of the back. Would have to be tall to cover the top of the Sundy (but maybe leave the guns peaking out over the top (assuming they're on the top)).

You could even have it go further and deploy stairs so people can get up on top of the deployed Sunderer and use it as a sort of battlements, where troops have some cover from a wall that would be slightly taller than the vehicle itself.
Old 2012-04-06, 08:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Senyu
First Lieutenant

I see it being used mostly for building defences on or near a base for a approaching fight. Maybe have them destructable with physics from tanks and rockets?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion