PS2 Gaming Rig - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Do not make illegal copies of this website.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2012-02-28, 12:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Re: PS2 Gaming Rig

Originally Posted by FastAndFree View Post
Don't the official (read : always up to date) drivers put PhysX into software mode if they detect a non-Nvidia card in the system?
There is a PhysX driver hack you have to do in order to make the PhysX card combinable with a AMD one.
Old 2012-02-28, 03:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
inigma
Sergeant

Prices updated.
Old 2012-03-12, 04:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
inigma
Sergeant

$30 net increase since last update. prices updated. no better equipment for the price yet so parts still remain the same for now.
Old 2012-03-14, 06:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #64
Highwind
Corporal

How you feel about recommending a 24" monitor after breaking the $2k mark for the whole system? It seems on the small side to me. For $80 more you get a 27 inch also from Asus. Seems like for a high end rig like this going cheap on the monitor is shortsighted. I would say investing in two monitors is also wise, either x2 24s or x2 27s for a nice computer like this, because once you are paying $2160 for your current max setup I don't think its outrageous to spend $2520 and get two 27" monitors instead of the one 24" but that's me.
Old 2012-03-14, 08:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #65
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Highwind View Post
How you feel about recommending a 24" monitor after breaking the $2k mark for the whole system? It seems on the small side to me. For $80 more you get a 27 inch also from Asus. Seems like for a high end rig like this going cheap on the monitor is shortsighted. I would say investing in two monitors is also wise, either x2 24s or x2 27s for a nice computer like this, because once you are paying $2160 for your current max setup I don't think its outrageous to spend $2520 and get two 27" monitors instead of the one 24" but that's me.
Monitor setups really come down to preference especially when going into multi monitor. The 27 inch you are linking doesn't provide anything more then a extra 3 inches as it has the same 1920x1080 resolution. If you were looking at also a resolution bump that would be 2560x1440 and costing you about $700 at least.
Old 2012-03-14, 07:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #66
Sibercat
Private

Misc Info
Re: The PS2 Core Gaming Rig

Hey if you still haven't bought all the parts wait for Ivy Bridge. The launch is still scheduled for this Spring, however there has been a delay of approximately three weeks.
Old 2012-03-22, 12:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #67
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Gonna update this to the 680 ?
Old 2012-03-23, 12:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #68
inigma
Sergeant

When GTX 680 is in stock at newegg, you bet. I included a GTX 680 update with pricing on the OP.

Last edited by inigma; 2012-03-23 at 12:14 PM.
Old 2012-03-23, 01:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #69
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Very nice. Probably can dump that 7950 too!
Old 2012-04-05, 01:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #70
inigma
Sergeant

Updated prices.
Old 2012-06-08, 11:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #71
inigma
Sergeant

Prices updated as E3 comes to a close!

This is probably the best time to buy with the promos at Newegg. Great deal, and even better to get the 680. I've upgraded the Rig description with the new 680 GPU. With other price drops for other hardware, and even promos, the grand total itself drops 20 bucks - and you get the upgraded card! Enjoy!

I have tested everything (except the new GPU, I built this Rig with the 580 3GB card) and it runs smooth, quiet, and cool. No issues.

Last edited by inigma; 2012-06-08 at 11:08 AM.
Old 2012-06-08, 11:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #72
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

What about updating to Ivy bridge?
Old 2012-06-08, 02:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #73
erunion
Private

Originally Posted by FastAndFree View Post
Don't the official (read : always up to date) drivers put PhysX into software mode if they detect a non-Nvidia card in the system?

Not exactly. GPU accelerated physx particle effects require an nvidia card. It has traditionally been possible to use a second dedicated physx card to get physx support with an AMD card. But nvidia hated that and is doing their best to stop it from being possible(even with hacking).

The Physx api serves as the physic engine for planetside2 (for collision, ballistics, etc), but that function is CPU bound on all system. GPU acceleration is only for visual effects, not core physics engine.

Last edited by erunion; 2012-06-08 at 02:30 PM.
Old 2012-08-15, 12:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #74
inigma
Sergeant

Re: The PS2 Core Gaming Rig

Prices updated. $41 overall drop. Still an awesome rig to buy. It hasn't given me any issues, and is quiet, fast, and an awesome gaming and production machine. I hope to add a 2TB WD Caviar black in the near future for media and file storage.

I'm not going to do a hexcore build as I don't think the performance increase isn't justified versus cost at the moment. The purpose of the Gaming Rig is to play the latest games at high settings, as well as do music production using Fruity Loops Studio. I will probably wait until 2nd or 3rd generation to consider a new build recommendation.

Last edited by inigma; 2012-08-15 at 12:45 PM.
Old 2012-08-15, 05:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #75
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

As a recommendation for others you should update the CPU/Mobo and PSU to reflect new tech and lack of dual cards IMO.

Hex-core is mostly an exercise in excess.
You could have less CPU yet and not lose anything. Even with Fruity loops to account for...I don't see much need for an i7.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

Last edited by Rbstr; 2012-08-15 at 05:08 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum