Capping & gens - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Damn! The bullets won't go through the walls!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2002-12-31, 12:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
NapalmEnima
Contributor
AGN Field Reporter

Capping & gens

It seems to me that destroying a bases generators will be a critical part of taking a base.

If I'm not mistaken, destroying the generator[s] will turn off the spawning tubes. And without reinforcments, a base will soon fall.

Whether or not it STAYS taken for the fifteen minutes is another story entirely... counter-attacks and all that, where the attacker and defender are on even terms (save that the team that just hacked the base had the firepower to get in despite the defender's advantages).

ALTHOUGH, I suppose successfully hacking the command terminal would also disable the base, so blowing up the gens may not be necessary. They really just force the defenders to cover two areas instead of just the one.

So just how hard is it going to be to take out the generator? One shot from a decimator? 10? Empty a thumper into it? Empty and reload and empty and reload?

Yeah yeah, I know. No way to answer these questions until after the game is balanced. Foey.
Old 2002-12-31, 12:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Marsman
Major

If I recall, it's been said that destrying a base gen is VERY difficult but can be done. Hacking disables a base and it must be held for a period of time before it changes hands.
Old 2002-12-31, 01:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Camping Carl
Major

And what if you do destroy it? Do base buildings self-repair? Do turrets?

Vanu still suck....
Old 2002-12-31, 01:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Incompetent
Contributor
InComa

Don't forget that if you can turn off the spawn tubes by hacking a base too. I expect the only time people will ever blow up the gens is if someone is using scorched earth tactics and destroying anything that they can.
Old 2002-12-31, 01:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Xtc
Private

hm if u need to hold a base for 15min.

what does that mean???

u need to wipe out everyone to re-capture?

or just step inside a "zone" and the timer resets????????
Old 2002-12-31, 01:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Vimp
Sergeant

I've read a number of times that when a base has been hacked it disables equipment like turrets and inventory stations but dosn't disable the spawning of the team that owned the base to begin with intill after the 15mins are up and the base is taken.
Old 2002-12-31, 02:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Civilian
Contributor
Major

I've read a number of times that when a base has been hacked it disables equipment like turrets and inventory stations but dosn't disable the spawning of the team that owned the base to begin with intill after the 15mins are up and the base is taken.

So two teams are spawning at the same base? Or is the team that held the base before it was hacked the only team allowed to spawn on defense?

If it doesn't disable team spawning, it could be difficult to capture a base because hords of people would begin to spawn and retake a base, and unless you have an entire battalion, I don't see how you can stop them from retaking the base?
Old 2002-12-31, 02:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Camping Carl
Major

I got the impression that the defenders retain control of the spawning tubes until the base switches sides.

Vanu still suck....
Old 2002-12-31, 02:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Hamma
PSU Admin

I am not 100% sure on the spawning aspects of hacking and gen destruction. I do know however that destroying a base gen is VERY difficult. Once it is down all equipment terminals, etc are disabled for both teams. The same thing happens when it is being hacked, during the 15 mins nobody can use anything in the base. Again I dont know who spawns or if they continue spawning. Once the base is hacked then the new team spawns there, and the old one is out of luck and has to spawn elsewhere.

As for gens, I dont think they self repair at all. When I played there were several times we had to send someone to repair the generators.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2002-12-31, 03:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Unregistered
Contributor
Custom Title

Did someone say gens?!?!?!

VSEG!!!*

*Tribes Speak 'I'll attack the enemy generator.
Old 2002-12-31, 03:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

The reason for the generator to be there is likely to prevent stalemates. If the control room is held so securely that it's nearly impossible to get in, and the enemy is still spawning and reinforcing the control room, then the attackers would opt to destroy the generator to shut down the base and beat the defenders through attrition.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion