PSU: Cloudy with a chance of Vanu.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2004-02-20, 09:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
BigFreak
Sergeant Major

Unhappy Planetside Performance.

k, intro: I started off playing PS on a GeForce 4 ti 4200, I believe it was, with my Athlon 2000+, and 512 mb of RAM. Then when the game was released, I heard everyone saying the step up to 1gb of RAM really made a huge performance boost, so I upgraded. I went on holiday, and let my sister use my PC (bad move). Came back, it wouldn't boost. Video card was busted. Bought a GeForce fx 5200 (cheapo card) to replace. Today I installed a spanky new Radeon 9800 Pro. Thinking it would finally end my performance woes...

The end of my performance woes? Hah. More or less default options (everything on medium, except flor turned off)...surely a high end card can handle this at about 60fps plus, right? Yea...well..not at all. Pretty average sized battle, INSIDE I was down to 10fps...what's going on? Inside a facility, just me, a guy, and a terminal on the screen. Yea, there was all hell breaking loose outside...but...surely it shouldn't be rendering that? Anyhoo, when anything's going on I can't seem to be above 20 fps. I'm using the latest official drivers...what can I do? :/ I bought this card more or less specifically for PS, and it can run UT2003 with all the options cranked to full at a nice 60fps.

Thanks for any help.

Just a wee edit here: Reading about these Omega drivers...should I notice a significant increase in FPS using them? I tried them with my old FX and noticed little to no improvement (with performance install, instead of quality), and can't be bothered messing about with that unless it's worth it :\

Last edited by BigFreak; 2004-02-20 at 11:20 AM.
Old 2004-02-20, 12:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Get into yout driver settings and look at your AGP settings you may be opperatin at only 4x or maybe even PCI mode, its very hard to say.

You still using the 2000+ and a gig of memory right?
If you can give you system specs in as much detail as possible, esspecialy your MoBo specs.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-02-20, 12:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Phaelon
Master Sergeant

To resonable narrow the affect domain, some more information needs to be gathered.
1).What driver are you using and what version is it?
2).What OS are you using and what version/Build is it?
3).What OS Patches have you run?
4).Model and manufacturer of your graphics card.
5).Model and manufacturer of your Motherboard
6).The maker of the memory you bought and what type it is?
7).Sound card model, and driver version.

Get those things and we can take a closer look. Here is a few things of note.

Cheap memory can have horrendous effects on a system. If you went to best buy and bought another 512 MB for the cheapest price, then you are going to have problems.
Drivers reflect and hurt operations the most. If you are getting these effects with the most current drivers, rollback your driver and try older ones. See if anyone is talking about your video card and driver version on www.deja.com
If you remember back about 2 years ago, Everquest had HUGE problems with Sound Blaster Live!. EQ is fixed now but one can only assume PlanetSide is as well. Make sure your soundcard is up to date.
If your motherboard is 1 year or more older and you haven't updated the bios this could be another contributing factor to system slow down.

Peace
Old 2004-02-20, 12:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
BigFreak
Sergeant Major

Rbstr: Yea, I'm still using the same processor/RAM, and it's running at 4x AGP, I assume that's the max my mobo supports, as it's the highest I can set it to.

Phaelon: Catalyst, 4.2
Win XP, SP1, completely updated
Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro Atlantis
The mobo I'm not too sure about. Can't remember where I put the manual :/ it's MSI; one of the first with DDR 333 support
The memory, yea, was just cheap generic stuff bought froma local bits shop, and the one before 333 as 333 support was bad at the time (277? I forget, heh).
SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 Digital

And I haven't updated the BIOS, as, to be honest, I haven't a clue, heh

Last edited by BigFreak; 2004-02-20 at 12:39 PM.
Old 2004-02-20, 12:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Look inside your case at the norhtbridge and see who the manufacturer is

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-02-20, 01:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
BigFreak
Sergeant Major

Yea *newb* What's that?
Old 2004-02-20, 02:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
dscytherulez
Lieutenant Colonel

I can vouch that with that system, you should be getting better performance, depending on your mobo. I have the same Radeon 9800 Pro and 1 Gig of ram. I have a Athlon 3000+ though.

The lowest I ever had was 30 FPS. 10 FPS in a small-med battle is terrible, you should definately get more than that.
Old 2004-02-20, 02:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
MidnightDave
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Im not getting that great performance either not as bad, but I think I should be getting better I get around 15/20 fps during zergs, but its been known to drop to 10ish.

Ive got an AMD 2200
MSI KT something mobo
1g of ddr 333 ram
Radeon 9700 pro
sb audigy

culling is on, lots of the textures and extra functions are off.

edit: im thinking of upgrading my mobo and proc (my mobo wont support much higher proc than I have) to something like a 3200+ and maybe adding another 512 of memory im sure that will help. I know for a fact that upgrading my vid card is useless.

Last edited by MidnightDave; 2004-02-20 at 03:00 PM.
Old 2004-02-20, 04:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Aha its a VIA!!!!

you need to get the new chipsest drivers, because they mess up AGP for some reason wit the early ones.

wait your not the origianl guy that only applies to the guy above me

a new processor for you would be nice, but you don't need more memory.

Old 2004-02-20, 04:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
BigFreak
Sergeant Major

Yea, mine's a KT something or other, but I heard the 3gHz chips need some insane cooling. I'd really like this sorted, heh. If it's a hardware problem I'm pretty screwed, having just bought the Radeon...but then I just made 50million on Ultima Online which I could cash in... �_� Hrm. Might try reformatting :\ but it's such hassle...specially with PS patching :<
Old 2004-02-20, 04:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
BigFreak
Sergeant Major

Ah, I guess that applies to me also? heh. Where'd I get these?
Old 2004-02-20, 04:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

VIA website or www.gurud3d.com(i think they have them), an AMD Athlon 3000+ is not a 3ghz chip, it actualy is about 2ghz is, the 3000+ is comparing it to the compereable P4

Old 2004-02-20, 04:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
dscytherulez
Lieutenant Colonel

My AMD Athlon 3000+ clocks in at 2.2ghz and it compares to/outperforms a 3ghz pentium.
Old 2004-02-20, 04:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
BigFreak
Sergeant Major

Righty, do I want the Hyperion 4 in 1 chipset driver thingy, or VIA AGP driver 4.40 (listed in http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?id=16 ) ?
Old 2004-02-20, 04:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Do the all in one thing, then the AGP is the All in one didn't work

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum