system requirements - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: shot me in the nuts
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Old 2012-08-01, 10:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
bklett
Private

system requirements

how good of a computer do you need to have or will something simple work. im going to build a good tower but right now i would have to run it on a macbook pro partitioned. any1 have any advice?
Old 2012-08-01, 11:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Rago
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Re: system requirements

There is no Mac built , if you are lucky, which i do not know, maybe there is a Software like CEDEGA/Wine for mac, and maybe you can run it with that ?
Old 2012-08-01, 12:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

My advice is sell the CrapBook Pro and build a PC with the difference.

Old 2012-08-01, 12:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
fb III IX ca IV
Corporal

Unless you have the new retina MBP which actually has a decent GPU, there's no way you will be playing PS2 on one.
Old 2012-08-01, 12:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
codebreaker
Private

it will prolly be pretty taxing with such large continuous battles right
Old 2012-08-01, 12:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
RZweihanders
Private

If you're running dual boot using bootcamp, the specs should be identical for the mac.
Old 2012-08-01, 01:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Takieyda
Private

Depending on the specs of your MBP you should be find. This thread suggests that systems up to 3 years old should be good.

I've got a MBP with 2.2GHz quad core i7, 8GB of DDR3-1333, and a ATI HD 6750M 1GB. I'm thinking I should be good with that.
Old 2012-08-01, 02:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Monsta
Corporal

You can run Windows (XP/Vista/7) on your Mac just next to OSX via Bootcamp. Bootcamp offers you to burn a disk with all the needed hardware drivers and guides you to the Windows installation process. Make sure you make a backup (Time Machine does a great job) because you are forced split up your hardrive by having to partitions and you will be asked to format your disks.

If you run Lion or Mountain Lion you don't need any installation disk since Lion reserved a small disk partition for reintalling OSX. After installing OSX again and Windows you can choose to make OSX the default start up OS again. I'm quite sure that as long you have a Core 2 Duo processor and a Nvidea Graphics card from the 8000 series (512 mb) and higher with 2 gb's of ram it should be able to run Planetside 2 since these specs form the majority among gamers. There is no secret piece of hardware in a Mac you dont find in any other PC, its just a little bit harder to run OSX on a PC.

And I'm very sure you will be able to run PlanetSide 2 if you have a Retina display. You are just not able to run it in 2880-by-1800, but probably around 1920-by-1200 or whatever max resolution Planetside 2 offers. I do suggest an separated keyboard and mouse since the macbooks can get pretty warm after a while of doing serious stuff.

Last edited by Monsta; 2012-08-01 at 03:05 PM.
Old 2012-08-23, 07:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Teradanius
Private

I have an Acer Aspire M802 with Win7 Home Premium, Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q8300, 4GB DDR2 Memory, 1TB hard drive with just over 1/4 used, and I was using and intergrated Intel GMA x4500 but thankfully I opened it up there was another slot so I can't remember when exactly either last year or this year which is more likely as I was wanting to get brotherhood which I now have but anyway to the point I got a ATI Radeon HD 5450. It's been easier to play good games like Tribes but i'm wondering is planet side beyond my limits if I wanna go high detail cause I can't reach highest setting on tribes cause it slows but i'm ok on high detail but these videos of the gameplay in PLASID2 look beyond the unreal engine in fact the only closest thing is FireFall or cryengine 3 games i'm not sure if my computer could handle normal detail on planetside with it's current hardware unless this new engine they are using improves speed like DX11 and though I can't afford the hardware I am a high Graphics Junkie I love the latest engines for graphics I can't go back to AC1 now i'm on brotherhood I'd be disillusioned by the graphics now.
Old 2012-08-31, 05:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Biscuitmind
Private

I think what people will need will be a reasonably good CPU. i5 or i7 preferably or AMD equivilant (phenom or fx4100 or above).
You are pretty much garunteed to need dedicated graphics.
4gb ram
Old 2012-09-02, 01:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
awkid
Private

The game seems more cpu dependent, then gpu. Altought Im quite surprised that Im able to play on an old 9800gt and an e5200 duo core cpu @ 2.5ghz. Yes, im playing on the lowest settings, but the only time i`ve gotten lag is when I switch hexagons, atleast so far.
edit - running it on xp sp3 btw
Old 2012-09-10, 03:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Shinjorai
First Sergeant

I suggest if you are building a new system for planetide 2 to go INTEL on the cpu. I currently have an amd phenom 2 965 BE and while it runs it okay its not great. Ive asked around and it seems people with the I5 and I7 cpus seem to get a lot better performance out of the game.

I have an I7 3770K and new board sitting beside me, waiting for one more part to come in and then ill be upgrading. Im betting on a pretty big increase in performance. The main problem isnt the game in all areas, its just in the really huge battles my system seems to lag and bog down. In SOEs defense though it has gotten a lot better in recent weeks and I expect them to keep tweaking and optimizing until they get it running very well without all the hiccups and low fps issues.

As awkid said above the game seems more cpu dependant than GPU so id focus on that when / If you decide to build a new system. Heres the cpu comparison chart i based my upgrade on hope it helps. Good luck with the new system if you decide to build one.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Last edited by Shinjorai; 2012-09-10 at 03:11 PM.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions