Gameplay: Suppressive fire - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Got l337?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 2.54 average. Display Modes
Old 2011-07-15, 08:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: Suppressive fire

Fun trumps realism.
Old 2011-07-15, 08:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Volw
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Fun trumps realism.
Depends on the definition of fun.

For some 'fun' is dolphin diving, no-scoping, cheating etc.

I'd say having a perfectly valid reason to unload a 200 round belt into a suspected enemy position is as fun as it gets.

---
Also, could we keep this on topic? You said it's boring once and having it every second post gets boring and is not really constructive.

Last edited by Volw; 2011-07-15 at 08:34 PM.
Old 2011-07-15, 08:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Ranik Ortega
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Volw View Post
Depends on the definition of fun.

For some 'fun' is dolphin diving, no-scoping, cheating etc.

I'd say having a perfectly valid reason to unload a 200 round belt into a suspected enemy position is as fun as it gets.

---
Also, could we keep this on topic? You said it's boring once and having it every second post gets boring and is not really constructive.

I do not think mechanics are needed for this effect. I think a shorter TTK and weapons effective at this role are whats needed for this mechanic.

And some peoples idea of fun is not having to drop 30 bullets into someone to watch them die. So that point is moot either way.
Old 2011-07-15, 09:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Volw
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Ranik Ortega View Post
I do not think mechanics are needed for this effect. I think a shorter TTK and weapons effective at this role are whats needed for this mechanic.

And some peoples idea of fun is not having to drop 30 bullets into someone to watch them die. So that point is moot either way.
Can you describe 'weapons effective at this role' available in PS?
Cause the only properly effective weapon I can think of is sniper rifle. Potentially plasma spam or to a limited extent MA.

You don't have to drop 30 bullets to kill someone with suppression mechanic. Where did you read that? In fact, you can completely ignore it if you don't want to use it.
Old 2011-07-15, 09:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Ranik Ortega
Staff Sergeant

Can you describe 'weapons effective at this role' available in PS?
Cause the only properly effective weapon I can think of is sniper rifle. Potentially plasma spam or to a limited extent MA.

You don't have to drop 30 bullets to kill someone with suppression mechanic. Where did you read that? In fact, you can completely ignore it if you don't want to use it.
Easy the TR chaingun.. IF TTK is shorter then the chaingun would be a pretty potent suppression weapon.

Granted I would make it a bit more of a burst fire weapon since HMG's can burn through ammo.

The 30 bullets was in reference to Bags comments
Old 2011-07-15, 09:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Bags
Lieutenant General

Wait, when did I say it should take 30 bullets to kill someone?
Old 2011-07-15, 09:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Ranik Ortega
Staff Sergeant

Wait, when did I say it should take 30 bullets to kill someone?
Exaggeration
Old 2011-07-15, 09:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Bags
Lieutenant General

Exaggeration
But I never even mentioned TTK.
Old 2011-07-15, 09:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Ranik Ortega
Staff Sergeant

Sounds less fun than run-and-gun and that's all that matters to me. I'm all for "immersion" and "realism" when it adds to the fun.
Same difference. Some like spray and pray strafing some like cover and ironsights
Old 2011-07-15, 09:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Volw
First Sergeant

Easy the TR chaingun.. IF TTK is shorter then the chaingun would be a pretty potent suppression weapon.

Granted I would make it a bit more of a burst fire weapon since HMG's can burn through ammo.

The 30 bullets was in reference to Bags comments
There are two issues with this approach:

1) You will most likely not fire unless you see the enemy - because there is no point to waste ammunition. I've never seen anyone putting down any decent volume of fire in order to suppress someone. (With exception of tanks spamming tower door etc.)

2) TTK on sniper rifles will certainly be shorter than MCG - after all it's supposed to be OSOK and even if not, landing two shots by firing, hiding and then firing again is not exactly rocket science. Could probably do it with MA and certainly Gauss as well. Especially with no headshots for using MCG and having a fair bonus for using more precision based rifle (that's actually confirmed).

This mechanic, allows someone with an MCG to actually do what they should be doing. Land a large volume of bullets on the enemy in order to scare the shit out of them and prevent them from effectively doing whatever they intended to.

That's why Arma2 does it and that's why BF3 will do it. Having LMG operate and be used like a rifle with a bigger magazine simply doesn't cut.
Old 2011-07-15, 09:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Ranik Ortega
Staff Sergeant

There are two issues with this approach:

1) You will most likely not fire unless you see the enemy - because there is no point to waste ammunition. I've never seen anyone putting down any decent volume of fire in order to suppress someone. (With exception of tanks spamming tower door etc.)

2) TTK on sniper rifles will certainly be shorter than MCG - after all it's supposed to be OSOK and even if not, landing two shots by firing, hiding and then firing again is not exactly rocket science. Could probably do it with MA and certainly Gauss as well. Especially with no headshots for using MCG and having a fair bonus for using more precision based rifle (that's actually confirmed).

This mechanic, allows someone with an MCG to actually do what they should be doing. Land a large volume of bullets on the enemy in order to scare the shit out of them and prevent them from effectively doing whatever they intended to.

That's why Arma2 does it and that's why BF3 will do it. Having LMG operate and be used like a rifle with a bigger magazine simply doesn't cut.
I like arma as much as the next guy but the mechanic is different. Arma 2 has little in the way of damage degradation, 1-2 shot kills , and lmg/hmg's that are capable of putting accurate fire over long distances it's something that will have to come up in beta and an extra game mechanic is not necessarily the only way to do it.
Old 2011-07-15, 09:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Volw
First Sergeant

I like arma as much as the next guy but the mechanic is different. Arma 2 has little in the way of damage degradation, 1-2 shot kills , and lmg/hmg's that are capable of putting accurate fire over long distances it's something that will have to come up in beta and an extra game mechanic is not necessarily the only way to do it.
I'm a little lost - in Arma2, you have LMGs which are very accurate, can kill with 1-2 rounds AND they can suppress.

While in PS1/2 we have MCGs which are less accurate than rifles, can't really kill at medium+ range. I'd say they could use some love.

Arma2 is a sim and I don't think MCG will ever be turned into a proper LMG, as that would be an overkill and would render most of the other weapons useless.
Old 2011-07-15, 09:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Bags
Lieutenant General

MCG is fine. Give it any love and you'll have the most broken gun in the game. Heavy assault is not supposed to dominate everything.

Last edited by Bags; 2011-07-15 at 09:52 PM.
Old 2011-07-15, 09:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Ranik Ortega
Staff Sergeant

I'm a little lost - in Arma2, you have LMGs which are very accurate, can kill with 1-2 rounds AND they can suppress.

While in PS1/2 we have MCGs which are less accurate than rifles, can't really kill at medium+ range. I'd say they could use some love.

Arma2 is a sim and I don't think MCG will ever be turned into a proper LMG, as that would be an overkill and would render most of the other weapons useless.
A lot of things hinge on the new TTK. It and it alone controls a lot of how the game will be played.

Bags you are missing the point. The chaingun was a weapon capable of dropping a lot of bullets. My point was if TTK is shorter, then a chainguns barrage of bullets is very scary.

Last edited by Ranik Ortega; 2011-07-15 at 09:52 PM.
Old 2011-07-15, 09:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Bags
Lieutenant General

A lot of things hinge on the new TTK. It and it alone controls a lot of how the game will be played.

Bags you are missing the point. The chaingun was a weapon capable of dropping a lot of bullets. My point was if TTK is shorter, then a chainguns barrage of bullets is very scary.
We don't know how much shorter.

For all we know TTK could simply be 2/3 of what it is now.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault