"Unique Event" rewards - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I'm like an Interweb pack rat- SDM
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Would you like "Unique Event" rewards?
Yes, veteran players should have unique aesthetic perks 19 82.61%
No, a new player should have access to all equipment 4 17.39%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-07-31, 02:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
headcrab13
Second Lieutenant

"Unique Event" rewards

Here's an idea I've been mulling over but isn't a fully-developed concept, so I'm posting it under "discussion" rather than the idea vault, to see what you guys think of it. For the record, I know the devs have plenty on their plate right now, and this would be something that would be patched in months or years after launch.

"UNIQUE EVENT" REWARDS
The idea here is that there would be unique events such as battles, invasions, and story arc points that took place every month or every few months. For those players who participated in the events, there would be a unique reward that no one else would have access to. When new players were starting accounts several years after PS2 had launched, they would spot random veterans running around with slightly different perks and modified weapons that had been earned at specific points in time, and look forward to earning their own unique rewards.

REWARD FUNCTIONALITY
These rewards wouldn't make the awardees any more powerful, they would simply be side-grades or aesthetic features. For instance, a new visor shape that would set your helmet's appearance apart, a different look to your rifle's rail system, or a weapon attachment that modified the shape of your muzzle flash. Some rewards could be as simple as a patch on your shoulder that would identify friends and enemies alike.

REWARD PURPOSE
The real purpose behind the rewards would be allowing long-time players to have a unique style, and for players to immediately identify with others who had been involved in the same conflicts. For instance, players who earned unique weapon scopes would see others with that same piece of equipment and know they had been around when the massive, bloody, week-long battle for Indar's capitol had finally been won.

REWARD BACKGROUND STORY
Some rewards could be story-based, like an alien cache being uncovered in a snowy mountain range. When the event was announced, all three factions would race to the location and collide in a hellish, 48-hour battle for control. When one side had eventually taken the upper hand and pushed the others out of the zone for a certain amount of time (king of the hill style), they would be declared the "winners" of the event and have permanent access to those alien weapons, which again would be a side-grade to weapons already available (more or less a re-skin of a current gun, and not requiring any balance work from the devs).

-HC13
Old 2011-07-31, 02:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Sovereign
Staff Sergeant

Re: "Unique Event" rewards

Meh, would be fine so long as its entirely aesthetic and doesn't add in any other hidden perks.

Wouldn't mind seeing a new revamped badged system where you can alter the placements and can snazz up your soldier to make it more unique.

Also maybe if you could give some custom paint jobs to your armor, that would be rather niice indeed.
Old 2011-07-31, 05:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Robert089
Sergeant

Good concept but rather than weapon or armour upgrades I'd prefer something like the current merits. Like a medal or ribbon of some sort that vets can see and know that player participated in "The Battle of Cyysor Mountain" or some other event like that.

Giving some players a gun (even if it is just a skin) that others can never obtain isn't a good idea in my opinion.
Old 2011-07-31, 07:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

I wouldn't mind a cosmetic item like a badge or a cape or something for participating in an event. Maybe a better one for winning. So long as it's purely cosmetic and doesn't given any unfair advantage I'm all for it.

This really isn't a huge issue with the game from launch though. But down the line if they ever do an event, an award for participating would be cool

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2011-07-31, 09:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Sifer2
Major

I'm all for limited time events an story arcs. However I think the limited time rewards can be off putting to new players when they find out they started playing too late to be able to get many cool things. It doesn't have the effect of making them want to play more to get some unique stuff themselves it instead makes them less likely to want to start playing a game they are already missing stuff in. Some people are perfectionist an want the ability to earn it all an get annoyed by stuff like that.

But yeah having cool story events is something I really don't understand why MMO's don't have more of. I guess I can see how it might be seen as a waste of resources by developers to make this content that will only be enjoyed for a month or so instead of forever. But even so I think its a unique thing you can do with the MMO game world that could do wonders to keep people interested an invested in the game.
Old 2011-08-01, 03:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Vancha
Colonel

Aren't they planning on having titles, as well?

The whole idea reminds me of City of Heroes and it's badges, or WoW's "Feats of Strength".
Old 2011-08-01, 09:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
MgFalcon
Captain

Originally Posted by DeeTwoEh View Post
I wouldn't mind a cosmetic item like a badge or a cape or something for participating in an event.l
YESSSSS ABSOLUTELY WANT

I could imagine the cape being given to Outfit leaders / Empire Commanders only ---> Identify the important people I'd say! Like Darth Vader... he had a fucking cape

Last edited by MgFalcon; 2011-08-01 at 09:26 AM.
Old 2011-08-01, 09:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
NYRampage
Private

Agreed it can't give any type of advantage, it should be a badge or some such thing. (cape? really? - how about a feather in your cap?)

I would think SOE would want to do something like this to help draw return players.
Old 2011-08-01, 10:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
MgFalcon
Captain

[QUOTE=NYRampage;582555(cape? really? - how about a feather in your cap?)[/QUOTE]

Excuse me, Sir. Did Darth Vader have a feather in his cap?

We need capes. End of story.

Last edited by MgFalcon; 2011-08-01 at 10:16 AM.
Old 2011-08-02, 01:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
exLupo
Contributor
Sergeant Major

My only requirement for event related items is that if you participate in the event, you get the items. Few things piss me off more than events that have random stuff. RNG not your friend? Sorry Charlie, you clearly weren't at the Oshur Battle of Sand Dune 394. If you were, you'd have your Robo-Turban.

Yea no. All participants get proof of participation. RNG crap is for the birds.
There is no better cause to fight than the simple need that blood be spilled. Do not fight because you receive reward or praise. Fight because that other bastard exists solely to die beneath the heel of your boot.

And that was that.
Old 2011-08-02, 08:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Logit
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by MgFalcon View Post
Excuse me, Sir. Did Darth Vader have a feather in his cap?

We need capes. End of story.
I always thought the BR40 reward was going to be a cape.
Old 2011-08-03, 10:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
kamikava
Private

Superman had a cape. . . .

http://www.superherostuff.com/images.../supergirl.jpg

Last edited by Hamma; 2011-08-03 at 10:26 AM.
Old 2011-08-03, 10:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Hamma
PSU Admin

Please link things like that and don't post them in the thread.

Also guys please ease off on the image only replies to posts, this isn't 4CHAN and posts like that are going to start getting deleted/warned on.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion