PS2 Gaming Rig - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: What you mean there are other games?!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2011-12-28, 10:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
inigma
Sergeant

Re: PS2 Gaming Rig

Originally Posted by Traak View Post
you said "Core." Bad memories from PS1
oy yes, i do remember. maybe i should rename the rig spec. ideas?
Old 2011-12-28, 11:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Traak
Colonel

How about Gate Outpost Computer Tower!
Old 2011-12-30, 09:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
inigma
Sergeant

Switched out the G500 mouse for the G9x in the build recommendation. Increase of $10, but in my opinion, well worth it for the greatest gaming mouse known to man kind. I am using it now as all my computer parts came in. I will be building the comp Saturday night with first boot planned for after midnight Sunday Jan 1, 2012.
Old 2012-01-02, 12:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
inigma
Sergeant

I built me a computer. Using it now to post this! The PS2 Gaming Rig. POSTed on the first try at 2:58am Jan 1, 2012. Memory works flawlessly (although I had to enable Profile1 on the mobo bios to get it to recognize 1600 MHz). No issues. CPU temps at idle in the mid 20s according to RealTemp, 39-41 according to the mobo.

I named it the Inigma. Pics soon.

Last edited by inigma; 2012-01-02 at 12:57 PM.
Old 2012-01-02, 10:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
inigma
Sergeant

Pics of the Inigma PS2 Gaming Rig (specs on original post):

The third image above shows two comps. The Inigma (below) and my aging P4 Gateway (above) which, btw the mouse in the pic on the right that came with it, finally gave up its last leg - literally: the last teflon pad came loose today after I transferred the final files over from it to the new rig. As if it knew what was happening and tried to last long enough to perform its last useful service before I wipe it clean and give it to a needy person... a faithful machine it was to the very end. 10 years, no issues, no replacement parts (cept a loaner 128MB ATI video card back in the day so I could play PS1 with higher res).

The processor chews through anything Image Line's Fruity Loops Studio Producer Edition can throw at it. Temps with the Cooler Master when idle are 24 deg C average. I doubt I have any need to overclock it, though I could overclock it to 4.5 GHz to get a 40% advantage if I wanted to.

Booted at 2:58am Jan 1, 2012.
Name: Inigma

I haven't tested the graphics card, as I have no games or BlueRay vids with which to test it. Come on Planetside Beta, I need you!

I prefer the cheaper Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 keyboard as you can see in the final pic. I won't be able to test the Logitech G110 until later this month, and I will be returning the CoDMW3 Logitech G9x mouse in the pic once an unbranded G9x comes from Newegg this week.

Thanks for paying attention. I'll update the PS2GR spec sheet with new prices this week for new builders once I get settled.

Last edited by inigma; 2012-01-02 at 10:40 PM.
Old 2012-01-03, 06:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Zulthus
Colonel

The ultimate graphics test. Run this on ultra and you have nothing to worry about for a few years to come.
Old 2012-01-04, 10:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Coreldan
Colonel

Optionally play SWTOR. If you can run that unoptimized game on best graphics without major drops in FPS, you are also good to go!

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2012-01-04, 04:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
inigma
Sergeant

I got invited to the Tribes beta, so I'll be testing the card out tonight. Seems fitting too, as I played Tribes before Planetside (and Planetside won), it now seems I will play the Tribes beta before PS2 beta (which I again expect PS to blow away Tribes).
Old 2012-01-05, 09:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
inigma
Sergeant

Update: I played Tribes beta last night on ultra full res for my monitor which is 1920x1080, and I gotta say. Wow. I know Planetside will have better art.

My gpu barely made a sound with its fan. Not sure what the frame rate was, but the action was smooth, no jitter or lag. Played like I was in a movie.

I tested playing with the g110 keyboard, and I found it was way to easy to hit the extra G function keys while playing and typing. So for now, I will be removing the g110 recommendation and going with the tried and true Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000.

I have updated the prices on the gaming rig as well. Sales have ended for most items, and the rig price is now up $77.
Old 2012-01-05, 02:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
SgtMAD
Captain

one thing i did notice in that case(I have the same one) is that with the lower PSU mount if you decide to sli two vid cards the second one will set almost right on top of the PSU,makes me wonder if it will cause a heat issue if I go buy the other gtx 570 I want.

I also have the same PSU by the way.

what do you have your comp sitting on top of on the floor there? I need to find a way to set mine on the floor without the PSU air intake on the bottom of the case drawing in more dust,I live in Vgeas and the place cranks out so much dust it is mind boggling.
Old 2012-01-06, 09:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
inigma
Sergeant

Originally Posted by HtSgtMAD View Post
one thing i did notice in that case(I have the same one) is that with the lower PSU mount if you decide to sli two vid cards the second one will set almost right on top of the PSU,makes me wonder if it will cause a heat issue if I go buy the other gtx 570 I want.

I also have the same PSU by the way.

what do you have your comp sitting on top of on the floor there? I need to find a way to set mine on the floor without the PSU air intake on the bottom of the case drawing in more dust,I live in Vgeas and the place cranks out so much dust it is mind boggling.
Mine is on a the 2 inch thick flat wood keyboard tray that comes with the desk you see in the pic, providing clean air flow (never put this thing on bare carpet). The machine is too big to host on the desk. That and the fan intake faces the bottom and back and left of the corner there where not a lot of dust collects (because air from the fans pushing out creating a positive air pressure, and the enclosed space is less apt to collect dust compared to a more open space that wouldn't have that benefit. The only place I've seen dust accumulating on the covers is on the air intake of the two side fans, as expected. The only bummer with the case is that I will have to remove the fans to clean the filters. Hopefully only once every 6 months. It's not dusty where I live.

From pic, I think we should be able to install a second vid card in the second pcie 3.0 slot without any major issues with airflow competition with the PSU. If one wanted to, they could probably do a third as well, but it would require flipping the PSU upside down and removing the taller rubber standoffs in favor of the flatter rubber pads provided with the corsair materials.
Old 2012-01-07, 09:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

I never recommend RAM that has high heat spreaders (especially Corsair's). Those type of heat spreaders can cause issues with setting up many high end air cooling heatsinks due to the RAM interfering with the placement. For example you may have issues putting in 4 dimms of RAM to the end of the HS/Fan hitting into them. They do not add much in terms of performance enhancements as far as cooling either.

More of a personal preference, but I never recommend sand force based SSDs either. You are better off with the Crucial M4 line or Intel 510 series in my opinion. Better reliability and CS support if the need comes up.

Last edited by Goku; 2012-01-07 at 09:42 AM.
Old 2012-01-07, 02:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Oryon22
First Sergeant

I love this thread so much. There is a lot of good info here.

Old 2012-01-08, 10:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
SgtMAD
Captain

this is the ram I went with when I built my machine

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc..._-Pst02Descrip

one other thing with that case too, I put wire harness extensions in for the fans mounted on the removable side of the case,makes taking the panel off much easier

I need to find an air filter system for my fans,this friggin desert dust is a pain in the ass.

I just found what I need at Fry's , man I love that place

Last edited by SgtMAD; 2012-01-08 at 10:18 AM.
Old 2012-01-13, 11:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
inigma
Sergeant

With the price drops this week, I added the Logitech G13 gameboard to the complete system list. I got one used for $25, but newegg price still falls within budget of $2200 for everything.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum