Questions about certifications? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I died in my sphere of influence.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Old 2012-06-10, 10:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
killercam
Private

Questions about certifications?

I have been wondering about the certification and how its gonna effect the game. First off for every cert you unlock does it have an negative effect as well? I was also wondering about balance and the whole theme of the game seeing as each faction is suppose to play a bit different but for example im Terran and i cert so i do more damage but in contrast my speed goes down then i would basically be NC in terms of play mechanics. Now if certs do not put a negative effect then how would a newer player be on the same playing field as a vet?
Old 2012-06-10, 11:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Pride
Private

Re: Questions about certifications?

Originally Posted by killercam View Post
I have been wondering about the certification and how its gonna effect the game. First off for every cert you unlock does it have an negative effect as well? I was also wondering about balance and the whole theme of the game seeing as each faction is suppose to play a bit different but for example im Terran and i cert so i do more damage but in contrast my speed goes down then i would basically be NC in terms of play mechanics. Now if certs do not put a negative effect then how would a newer player be on the same playing field as a vet?
From what we've been told certs are intended to be side grades, think of it like the weapons in TF2, apart from a few rarities the majority of the weapons are no better than the default. You get miniguns with less ammo but more damage, snipers that leave huge beams notifying you of their locations in exchange for greater damage, items that let you move quicker at the cost of damage etc.

So to answer your question. Yes certs do come bundled with a negative effect that is intended to be equal to the positive effect. in answer to your other question I presume while the Terran can lower speed to put damage on par with the default NC, the NC can also cert even more power for even less speed ensuring each faction is still unique and are not simply recolors of each other.
Old 2012-06-10, 12:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Neurotoxin
First Lieutenant

Some certs are direct upgrades, some unlock sidegrades that can be swapped in and out with other sidegrades.

I know we don't have all the tooltips for certs, but give 'em a look here: The Neuro Report - Certifications
Old 2012-06-10, 12:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Into the proper forum you go!
Old 2012-06-10, 12:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Certs will unlock more utility in some classes while it may aid gameplay slightly...all to be balanced and whatnot in open beta I'd imagine. Now the Implants, Those I'd like more info about.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions