Choosing a faction for new player - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Please insert more coins and try again.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Old 2012-05-28, 05:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Gelmorn
Private

Choosing a faction for new player

What information will be given to new players when they first start the game to help them decide which faction to join?
Old 2012-05-28, 06:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
SKYeXile
Major General

Re: Choosing a faction for new player

likely the general propaganda speaches.

also in PS1 it shows the weekly average population trend for each empire and any bonuses the empire's is getting because of been lower pop.

like on the login screen it may show:

NC:34%
TR:34%
VS:32% +25XP

thats what i looked like when i first joined anyway, i choose VS and never looked back. I sometimes wonder how it would have been if TR or NC were under pop that week.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-05-28, 06:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Gelmorn
Private

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
likely the general propaganda speaches.

also in PS1 it shows the weekly average population trend for each empire and any bonuses the empire's is getting because of been lower pop.

like on the login screen it may show:

NC:34%
TR:34%
VS:32% +25XP

thats what i looked like when i first joined anyway, i choose VS and never looked back. I sometimes wonder how it would have been if TR or NC were under pop that week.
I could see that being a big factor, as well as what ever faction your friends are playing, but I was wondering what kind of back story, info about the gameplay and vehicles of each faction, and if images of the armor, weapons, and vehicles the factions will be given to help new players decide which one to choose. Because for a lot of people, each of those factors will greatly impact their decision for long term faction loyalty.

Last edited by Gelmorn; 2012-05-28 at 06:54 PM.
Old 2012-05-28, 07:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Tcakes
Corporal

most likely along the lines of what SKY said. for me it was who I was playing with. barely ever looked at the empire bonuses very first character ever was VS, I was totally digging the back story and the weapons. One day just switched to TR hit up with a few outfits and had a blast each time. the people I ran with sealed it for me and now I'm TR for life. hopefully the new folks get that same experience and find happiness in the choice they make. unless they choose to be a blue jackhammer jack off. then I hope they just get some happy flesh eating disease.
Old 2012-05-28, 07:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Immigrant
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Gelmorn View Post
What information will be given to new players when they first start the game to help them decide which faction to join?
Each Empire has specific graphic design, philosophy, weapons etc. Start by watching the design videos and reading the backstory here. There's plenty of info on the faction on this forum and around the web. I bet you'll make a choice in less than a week.

Also I doubt there'll be any XP bonuses that SKY mentioned depending on the population of the Empire because of the f2p model. Number of player in f2p can't be correlated as easily with activity like it can be in monthly subscription model. Also XP boost will be available from cash shop so I doubt they'll be giving them away like before.
Old 2012-05-28, 07:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Immigrant View Post
Each Empire has specific graphic design, philosophy, weapons etc. Start by watching the design videos here and reading the backstory here. There's plenty of info on the faction on this forum and around the web. I bet you'll make a choice in less than a week.

Also I doubt there'll be any XP bonuses that SKY mentioned depending on the population of the Empire because of the f2p model. Number of player in f2p can't be correlated as easily with activity like it can be in monthly subscription model. Also XP boost will be available from cash shop so I doubt they'll be giving them away like before.
they can do it by time online and if the character is earning XP. we have seen population bonus per continent, id expect there to be a global pop displayed again, but you maybe right, perhaps not a weekly average.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-05-28, 07:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Bags
Lieutenant General

I will be disappointed if they give the bullshit backstory instead of how the faction actually plays.
Old 2012-05-28, 08:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Gelmorn
Private

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
I will be disappointed if they give the bullshit backstory instead of how the faction actually plays.
I personally will let how the faction plays ultimately decide which faction I want to play the most, but you would be surprised how many people would let lore or looks be the main reason for deciding which faction to join.
Old 2012-05-29, 04:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Alderego
Corporal

Hmm, I recall seeing a graph about speed of fire, accuracy, etc per faction on this forum yesterday or the day before.

It looked like a picture taken from a real life poster/projection. I'll see if I can't dig it up with my browsing history, though chances are one of the vets will instantly remember where it is and post it here
Old 2012-05-29, 05:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
MacXXcaM
Contributor
First Sergeant

In PlanetSide 1 there was a brief tutorial to get you known to the mechanics and empires, I think...

Do you think something like this will be included again?
Old 2012-05-29, 05:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Captain1nsaneo
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Alderego View Post
Hmm, I recall seeing a graph about speed of fire, accuracy, etc per faction on this forum yesterday or the day before.

It looked like a picture taken from a real life poster/projection. I'll see if I can't dig it up with my browsing history, though chances are one of the vets will instantly remember where it is and post it here
I saw something like that in the PC Gamer article. I think we're not allowed to post scans or anything of that though because they asked nicely.

As for what info will be given? In PS there was just a quick background description in a box. In PS2 there could be info on weapons, playstyles, population, faction biography, etc. However, this may make the choice intimidating.

I think I'm actually in favor of less information being available to the players on selection. People will sort down into what they most enjoy. It's strange but it's been shown that if you put too much into thinking about your answer in what is effectively a game of chance you are more prone to pick the wrong answer. This is why on game shows there's always "Is that your final answer?"

Originally Posted by MacXXcaM View Post
In PlanetSide 1 there was a brief tutorial to get you known to the mechanics and empires, I think...

Do you think something like this will be included again?
The offline tutorial became massively out of date in a relatively short time and was eventually removed. There were the help boxes for weapons but they only showed up once and people had a bad habit of clicking through them. The final tutorial was a hard to find tab in the character menu.

The best method is probably a human talking to you through it. I was never that good at it though, I like to be far too specific. I'm thinking the best method might just to use the buddy method and have them stick with a veteran while in the field.

Last edited by Captain1nsaneo; 2012-05-29 at 05:41 AM.
Old 2012-05-29, 05:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
MacXXcaM
Contributor
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Captain1nsaneo View Post
The offline tutorial became massively out of date in a relatively short time and was eventually removed.
It did? Too bad. I really liked it back then.
Old 2012-05-29, 10:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
DDSHADE
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

I did too, it would be cool to have a sort of instanced "online tutorial" that could have you spawn vehicles and practice on targets and capture hexes for your team. I'm sure whatever tutorial system they will have in place will be effective though!
Old 2012-05-29, 11:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
stordito
Staff Sergeant

FACT: choosing an empire is not going to change the tons of fun you will have.

Most of us became loyal to the first choice they made and could not even conceive to be at the enemy's service.
I would not say to choose for the weapons or just the look: choose the overall "feel", the vibe you get.That feeling is also very personal...
to me TR was the faction with the strongest camaraderie of them all, so i applied.

So it's just you choosing what you would like to appear, as usual.
And not always works that way..
I mean...NC soldiers thinks they are a beacon of democracy for us all,but it's clear they are just terrorist...rebel scum.

Old 2012-05-29, 12:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Captain1nsaneo
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by MacXXcaM View Post
It did? Too bad. I really liked it back then.
One part of the training was that you had to get out of and then deploy an AMS without getting back in. You cannot physically do this.

On the other hand it also had the only Harasser that had no gun.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions