Quick question - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: my quote was rejected, you must be hacking you n00b!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Old 2012-06-06, 12:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
ThermalReaper
First Sergeant

Quick question

Hey there, my first post. I'm new to planetside but I'm willing to play it to death.

Now here is my question: Apparently the new conglo- the NC get hard hitting weapons with slow rates of fire, the terran republic gets higher rates of fire. What does the vanu get other than weapons with laser beams and rubber suits?
Old 2012-06-06, 12:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Quick question

There was a neat graphic that illustrated the relationship on a wheel. Trying to dig it out.
Old 2012-06-06, 12:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
2coolforu
First Lieutenant

Basically a wild card, different abilities that aren't pure strength but can give them huge flexibility.

Their aircraft can move in 3 dimensions almost instantly giving it a large advantage.

Their tank can strafe and afterburn as well as hover over obstacles

Their guns lack bulletdrop and have an allround balance of damage/RoF/Accuracy
Old 2012-06-06, 12:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Razicator
First Sergeant

Nothing, don't join them, they'll lose. Oh and don't join the NC, they'll lose too.

But seriously, they have energy based weapons, so no bullet drop and I think more damage degredation over longer distances. Also their vehicles are much more flexible. They strafe, both their aircraft and tanks. Also tanks hover over water, crazy.
Old 2012-06-06, 12:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
FINALCUT
First Sergeant

It's from the PC gamer. The wheel thing was pretty cool and cleared things up. I can't seem to find it either and I don't think I am allowed to scan it. Sorry
Old 2012-06-06, 12:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Burnzblood
Corporal

Well, with light/energy weapons there is extreme accuracy because of no 'bullet drop" effect. There's cooler looking armor design that has a futuristic/sci-fi appeal. We have the best and most versatile vehicles, including the only hover-tank the Magrider, and the "stop on a dime" Scythe for premier air superiority.

I can go on of course...but bottom line...purple is sexy!
Old 2012-06-06, 12:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

Maneuverability, for their vehicles. The Scythe and Magrider are inherently more maneuverable than NC and TRs air and tank counterparts, thus giving them an edge in battle.

As for weapons, I believe none of their weapons suffer from bullet drop, making them easier to aim. They instead are more penalized by damage degradation (AKA bullets doing less damage over range). Their damage and accuracy and clip size seems to be an in between from TR and NC. They're just sort of balanced in that regard.

In PS1 they had the ability to easily switch between Standard fire ammo (good for infantry) and armor piercing ammo (good for light vehicles, MAXes etc.) on the fly. While it wasn't that huge of an advantage, I think it would be a welcome return. Assuming the Standard and AP ammo is even still in the game.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON

Last edited by Death2All; 2012-06-06 at 12:28 AM.
Old 2012-06-06, 12:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
ThermalReaper
First Sergeant

Thank you all for the replies. There seems to be a lot of NC and VS players around so I think I'm going TR to begin. But I'll try them all and see which one suits me the best. I was always playing solo considering I can never get my brother to play with me.
However, I joined a clan once on world of tanks and it was ungodly fun with other people until I got in a fight with the leader and dropped out. I would like to recreate that but with a happier ending here.
So basically what I'm saying is, are there many outfits that accept all sorts of people regardless of age/nationality...etc and maintain teamwork while having fun?(I'm asking this about PS1, hoping to get some in PS2
Old 2012-06-06, 12:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

The graphic I referred to is referenced in the reddit Planetside thread "what_faction_is_best". Apparently linking the imgur ist verboten.
Old 2012-06-06, 09:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Hamma
PSU Admin

It was a magazine scan, PC Gamer asked us not to post magazine sans so that's why it was removed

We need someone to reconstruct it..

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-06-06, 09:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Hosp
First Sergeant

I Found the image you guys are talking about, but as I'm at work I'll just list what it says and someone can draw it:

VS

Accuracy - High
Recoil - High Burst Fire, High Sustained Fire
RoF - Moderate
Damage - The Graphic shows moderate, but everyone seems to know it's High at close range and falls off quickly.
Ammo Type: Energy

NC

Accuracy - High Close, Quick Accuracy Falloff. (probably due to heavy dropping bullets)
Recoil - Low Burst Fire, High Sustained Fire
RoF - Slow
Damage - High
Ammo Type: Magnetic*, Flak.
(*Look up one of the first bullet shaped bullet in history, the Minie. That'll be a good explanation of what NC are firing w/o the powder charge that would go with it)

TR

Accuracy - Medium, Slow Accuracy Falloff. (Lighter bullets more accurate)
Recoil - High Burst Fire, Low Sustained Fire (I take this to mean that the difference between burst fire and full auto is small, but someone can correct me if they know better)
RoF - Fast
Damage - Light
Ammo Type: Cartridge Ammo (Regular true to life ammo)

Last edited by Hosp; 2012-06-06 at 10:08 AM.
Old 2012-06-06, 07:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Mr DeCastellac
First Sergeant

You guys, he's not asking which empire to join, stop saying one empire is going to lose and trying to recruit him. It's disrespectful and frankly, somewhat sickening.

All empires are created equal, as much as I hate to say it. I'm Vanu, but I'll try to give you an unbiased answer.

The way I was always told was that the TR favor fast-firing and weak weapons (like automatic rifles and machine guns), NC like hard-hitting and slow weapons (like shotguns and mag pistols), and VS favor accurate weapons and quick, agile vehicles (like laser guns and hovertanks).

I've tried all the empires in the first game. They're all very fun, and it's pretty much up to personal preference. The NC and TR always seemed similar to me, and I'm a huge sci-fi fan, so I couldn't pass up laser guns! I also liked the teamwork.

I have to say that out of all 3 empires, VS seemed the most coordinated and cooperative. That's one of the main reasons I chose them.

Of course, each empire has their own tactics. The NC like to hit hard, not just with their guns, with their artillery and soldiers.
TR are a sneaky bunch and tend to favor range (from what I've observed).

I think the best way is to just try out each of them and see what you like best. In any case, welcome to Planetside.

Last edited by Mr DeCastellac; 2012-06-06 at 07:21 PM.
Old 2012-06-07, 03:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Redshift
Major

Originally Posted by ThermalReaper View Post
What does the vanu get other than weapons with laser beams and rubber suits?
No that's pretty much it.
Old 2012-06-07, 05:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Captain1nsaneo
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by ThermalReaper View Post
I was always playing solo considering I can never get my brother to play with me.
However, I joined a clan once on world of tanks and it was ungodly fun with other people until I got in a fight with the leader and dropped out. I would like to recreate that but with a happier ending here.
So basically what I'm saying is, are there many outfits that accept all sorts of people regardless of age/nationality...etc and maintain teamwork while having fun?(I'm asking this about PS1, hoping to get some in PS2
Well your story is a pretty common one actually. Playing with others is pretty much the bread and butter of what makes a good time in gaming. I've known a few clan leaders who became ex-clan leaders because of their personalities and I've seen people who just couldn't follow basic rules of decency and were ejected from the group. Normally you'll find that most clans are accepting of new players and that as long as the community is healthy it's hard to go wrong.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions