AGN: Instant Action New Player Tutorial - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Man a turret!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2013-05-14, 05:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Shogun
Contributor
General

Re: Instant Action New Player Tutorial

playe the tutorial yesterday and it is nice.

but i didn´t find a button to toggle tutorial off!
and since the last tutorial step didn´t work (instant action button did nothing after countdown) i was stuck with the tutorial window on screen and a constantly repetition of the voiceover.

@ gatekeeper: VERY VERY good analysis of inconsistances! you should copy it to a new thread because most of them should be fixed, rather than explained in the tutorial.

especially the engineer stuff. he has no F ability, but has to doubleuse the turret? why? make F drop the ammo pack (and make it an easy drop like c4 or mines, the disappearing after throwing sucks)

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2013-05-14, 05:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Gatekeeper
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
@ gatekeeper: VERY VERY good analysis of inconsistances! you should copy it to a new thread because most of them should be fixed, rather than explained in the tutorial.

especially the engineer stuff. he has no F ability, but has to doubleuse the turret? why? make F drop the ammo pack (and make it an easy drop like c4 or mines, the disappearing after throwing sucks)
Thanks, was worried I was just ranting wildly there TBH

Personally I'd rather see C4 and mines work like ammo packs, but either way it's pretty strange how it works currently

And you're probably right about it being a separate thread - I'll post it as a new one now.

Old 2013-05-14, 09:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Hamma
PSU Admin

Originally Posted by shaql View Post
Hamma, why didn't you show the tutorial BFR?
I didn't know it was there till after I already recorded it.

And agreed - great points Gatekeeper.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer

Last edited by Hamma; 2013-05-14 at 09:16 AM.
Old 2013-05-17, 03:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Stew
Major

The majority of players that start playing Planetside are already experienced in the core mechanics of FPS style games. These players already know the basics of movement and aiming/firing weapons, as such they do not benefit from many aspects of the tutorial. The primary things that the tutorial should address are aiding players in understanding the unique aspects of Planetside’s gameplay.

A good starting point would be to introduce new players to how base defense works in this game, such as the roles of the various generators within bases. Furthermore, the tutorial needs to show the strong and weak points of the different factions’ weapons and vehicles, along with the appropriate way to fight against other factions. The tutorial should also show the importance of squad and platoon channels, in addition to explaining the importance of reading the comments made in the command chat channel. The tutorial also does not show various tactics and abilities used by players in the game in relation towards vehicles. The current tutorial also doesn't explain any of the features or icons that are found in the map. There is also no mention about the primary aspect of advancement within this game, certification points.

Planetside is a greatly more complex game than the average FPS style game. New players often leave Planetside due to not understanding the many aspects of the game. The current tutorial in its current state does not help new players out in understanding the many aspects of the game. I feel that the current tutorial is aimed at children, or people that are generally unfamiliar with computers. Planetside desperately needs an improved tutorial.

What I said was that most of the newer players are already experienced in the general aspects of FPS games, they know how to crouch, aim and fire weapons. The current tutorial fails to aid new players in understanding the unique aspects of Planetside, rather it focuses on teaching new players information that they most likely already know.

The tutorial needs to aid players in understanding the things that make Planetside stand apart from other FPS style games. Things such as how the squad and platoon systems work in addition to the roles of the various generators found in bases. At the very least the tutorial should try to explain the recoil patterns of the different weapons within Planetside. Basically, this current tutorial teaches information that the majority of new players already know, the only people that would find the tutorial useful would be children and persons whom have no experience playing video games on a computer. Upon completing this tutorial most new players will still have a very poor understanding of how the unique aspects of Planetside work.

comment adds nothing to the discussion. Your comment is basically saying that eating garbage is better than eating nothing; would you prefer to eat garbage rather than nothing in the future?

If you were given the chance to plan for your future in terms of eating, would you plan to grow and harvest vegetables/ fruit or would you plan to eat some garbage that you found?

I hope what I have said is understandable. I must say that I disagree with your point of view, the game developers should aim at teaching new players aspects of Planetside that are not common place in your typical FPS style game. Things such weapon handling, how to attack and defend bases, use special abilities such as the AMS addition to the sunderer, squad and platoon organisation, how to understand the map.

The things that I previously mentioned are examples of aspects of the game that the tutorial should teach new players. New players do not need help in understanding basic FPS mechanics, such as movement.

( Thanks to Stew360 translator )
Old 2013-05-23, 10:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Sarloh
Corporal

Here's some of my opinions:
1. The person speaking should never mention any keys or real life buttons - it breaks the 'atmosphere',
2. You could add some 'collaboration' with the VR training area - for example the course you take could be added in that area so players can do it without the entire tutorial and there could be a part covering vehicles at the end instead of the teleporter, telling you to drive something and the player will then be leaded to the VR training area's 'spawn room' and the tutorial could end there,
3. The old introduction screen should come up as well (before the training course), but the text might need to be 'tweaked' a little.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion