A few things that Matt Higby needs to realize - Page 12 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Better your mom's new boyfriend then your dad's
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-05-30, 01:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #166
kadrin
Sergeant

Re: A few things that Matt Higby needs to realize

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
PS: I ran the standard HA/2 Decis + 3/4 boxes of ammo + 3 medkits + Bank + medapp + hack tool that most people did while in rexo. In agile I ran HA + Deci + 2 boxes of ammo + medkits because my friends always handled the hacking/EMPing 90% of the time. Though they never had ammo issues either.
You carried less ammo than I did, I guess I just shot more. I'd take shots on anyone I had a reasonable chance of hitting (assuming stealth was not a concern), just to get them damaged for friendlies, force them into cover, or attempt to make them repair/heal and hopefully get flanked while doing so.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Do we know the ammo boxes are infinite? Disregarding that, was anyone concerned that Lodestars gave infinite ammo to vehicles? Or that sunderers will do so in PS2? Same thing.

I'd completely agree it doesn't fit the LA class though. Its definitely an engineer role. Nobody would bat an eye if it was an engineer laying down an ACE for an ammo terminal.
I'd like to see it as an Engineer deployable, similar to Dispensers in Team Fortress 2 rather than some magic box that classes run around with like Battlefield 3.

And yes, I thought it was silly that Lodestars had infinite ammo and repairs for vehicles, but I think I was one of the few.
Old 2012-05-30, 01:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #167
solracseptim
Private

I see what you guys are saying but as I am sure was stated in some form or another you can borrow things that work without cloning the game the ideas came from. Honestly PS, just on paper is so unique that even if its game play was exactly the same as COD or BF3 its still a drastically different game. They will no doubt meet us in the centre with the changes and there are definitely annoying as all hell things that were in COD that aren't in PS. Also who is to say that the game wont have a different feel from those games, there are so many different factors that contribute to that from art and effects to animations etc.. From what I can see PS2 is essentially a remake so its natural for it to garner worries from the fans who have more then fond memories. Question is, how much of this worry is for the sake of the game's success and how much is just nostalgia.....
Old 2012-05-30, 01:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #168
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by kadrin View Post
snip
Well I can agree that ammo is more scarce in PS2 than in Ammopackfield 3, but I don't think it is nearly as scarce and as tactical as some people like to make it out to be.
Old 2012-05-30, 01:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #169
SKYeXile
Major General

its fucking scarce in BF3 anyway, dont give it to a primary combat class, i ran out of ammo all the time...even carrying extra mags around and i have to spam the shit out of people to drop me ammo, pricks never drop it though.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-05-30, 02:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #170
Toppopia
Major

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
its fucking scarce in BF3 anyway, dont give it to a primary combat class, i ran out of ammo all the time...even carrying extra mags around and i have to spam the shit out of people to drop me ammo, pricks never drop it though.
Yip, BF3 people arn't teamwork orientated, or they are deaf. Thats why its only helpful to be with friends. Even in Planetside 2 with ammo boxes, we will have 666*2 people to shoot at, so i think it will even out.
Old 2012-05-30, 02:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #171
Coreldan
Colonel

Other problem is that Support is/was probably the least played class also.

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2012-05-30, 02:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #172
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
Other problem is that Support is/was probably the least played class also.
well this is why in BF3 they gave the assault the medpacks/revive so there would be more medics :/

SKYeXile TRF - GM
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-05-30, 04:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #173
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

I agree that ammo giving doesn't quite fit on the light assault, seems to give it too much power. Although from what we've seen it looks to be quite a popular class so it might not be a bad choice if you want to ensure there's plenty of people around with the ability to give it.

I like it better on Heavy Assault or Engineers. I think engineer fits best so you don't have the BFBC2 thing where you have HA's sitting on their own ammo boxes spamming rockets constantly. If its' on the engineer you give them another teamwork ability that isn't just repairing MAX/vehicles but also provide a vital infantry role. It makes engineers a great support choice for a variety of reasons and would help ensure there aren't too many light assault running around.

Although depending on how they do the mechanic it could also fit well on HA.

Conceptually if the LA is intended to be a scout/flanking style class then having them carry the ammo doesn't make much sense if they aren't expected to be with the main part of a squad. Engineers and HA will be there, while Infiltrators and LA have a style that would encourage them to split off or work the flanks while the medics, HA and engis stay near the MAX and support each other.

I would like to see the LA retain an important teamwork aspect that would make them desirable. Ammo was a good fit for that, but it doesn't seem like the right fit. Thoughts on teamwork value for the LA that fits with the nature of the class?
Old 2012-05-30, 04:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #174
SKYeXile
Major General

They could be the only class that can see infils eg darklight.
they could place a limited use spawn point or perhaps a teleporter.
some sort of enchanced abilty to scout or spot.

they could certainly be the class to have C4 as we have seen in the video so they would be great for manoeuvring quick and taking out an emplacement, but thats probably more seen as a solo thing and not exactly benefiting a group.

what exactly was the heavy assault going to have again though?

SKYeXile TRF - GM
Old 2012-05-30, 04:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #175
Red Beard
Second Lieutenant

I'm hoping this problem might be alleviated through modest xp rewards for serving friendlies (as per suggestion in latest video). I think in that model it would be a desirable thing, so it could be used to attract numbers to an otherwise understaffed class (and I do agree that ammo for LA doesn't seem very intuitive).
Old 2012-05-30, 05:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #176
Dreamcast
Major

Originally Posted by JHendy View Post

You're the one spouting BS now, chum. Accessibility is clearly the reason Planetside 2 doesn't have an inventory. They're trying to boost accessibility by making sure that the game's interface is as simple and as familiar as it can be. They want this game to have a distinctly similar overall characteristic to its contemporaries, so an MMO interface/inventory system would feel way out of place.

Higby said it himself.
He didnt really talk about the "complex" inventory system....He just said MMO mechanics.

From what I understood, it seemed like he meant that they want the game to be fast as possible to getting to action.

IMO that means Classes will be fastest instead of doing an inventory with classes.

I don't see why the average human being will have a problem with inventory...Like I said I want an inventory but not having one is not dumbing down, is just different.
Old 2012-05-30, 05:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #177
Fuse
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Red Beard View Post
I'm hoping this problem might be alleviated through modest xp rewards for serving friendlies

I have to wonder if they aren't looking at BF3 and trying to learn from our frustration. They want hundreds of strangers to be able to fight together. As SKY points out, the system in BF3 doesn't work with out a pre-formed team.

There are XP rewards in place, but from my experience this means people only give ammo or health when they are actively seeking XP, not playing the game. These are the guys who will follow you from cover to cover tossing out ammo but never actually return fire or cover you.

Maybe they are choosing to give it to a more common class in hopes that we won't find our selves with empty magazines quite so often. You want to encourage teamwork, but not to the extent that the mechanics detract from your player's enjoyment of the game.
Old 2012-05-30, 06:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #178
kadrin
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Fuse View Post
You want to encourage teamwork, but not to the extent that the mechanics detract from your player's enjoyment of the game.
This right here makes me think it should go to the Engineer. It's already a classed based on teamwork.
Old 2012-05-30, 06:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #179
Fuse
Sergeant

Originally Posted by kadrin View Post
This right here makes me think it should go to the Engineer. It's already a classed based on teamwork.
An engineer isn't going to be as common as an assault on the front lines, and just because the class is far more team oriented does not mean all engineers are going to run from cover to cover doing resupply. You're still going to get guys who think they're Senor Macho Solo with their turret or something.

Basically my theory above is that they want to alleviate the frustrations of most randos not doing their damn job by giving more of them the ability to perform such an essential task.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion