Higby Sheds Light on SL/Command Chat and Instant Action - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Don't say mole...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-10-30, 05:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Natir
Sergeant

Higby Sheds Light on SL/Command Chat and Instant Action

Old 2012-10-30, 05:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
SKYeXile
Major General

Re: Higby Sheds Light on SL/Command Chat and Instant Action

god, retards, I like how they're discussing what a base will say if its under attack...perhaps they should look at another game?

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-10-30, 08:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Natir
Sergeant

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
god, retards, I like how they're discussing what a base will say if its under attack...perhaps they should look at another game?
Huh? You do realize that was Higby talking about how they are changing what is currently said on the map to something that is more reliable and informative that something like "base infiltrated, base compromised, enemies detected, etc."

Last edited by Natir; 2012-10-30 at 08:32 PM.
Old 2012-10-30, 09:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Natir View Post
Huh? You do realize that was Higby talking about how they are changing what is currently said on the map to something that is more reliable and informative that something like "base infiltrated, base compromised, enemies detected, etc."
you realise in Planetside 1 that a bases had the messages, Yellow Alert, Orange Alert and Red Alert right...? my point was why even try something else in the first place when there was already a system, that worked in the original? it also displayed if the base had been tubes, gened and hacked. and the messages that higby said "some enemys" "multiple squads" and "multiple platoons," is prettymuch the respectably the messages displayed for each alert in PS1.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-10-30, 09:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Natir
Sergeant

you realise in Planetside 1 that a bases had the messages, Yellow Alert, Orange Alert and Red Alert right...? my point was why even try something else in the first place when there was already a system, that worked in the original? it also displayed if the base had been tubes, gened and hacked. and the messages that higby said "some enemys" "multiple squads" and "multiple platoons," is prettymuch the respectably the messages displayed for each alert in PS1.

Yeah I think they should just keep what they had in PS1... The main problem right now is the descriptions make no sense and there is no map key... So no one really knows what it all means!
Old 2012-10-30, 09:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Brusi
Contributor
Major

Higby originally mentioned a system whereby you could sign up to receive global broadcast messages from only certain CR5's.

That this system would basically equate to an in-game twitter. I like this system better than having to decide when to put idiots with global command access on my ignore list.

Adding a filter function that lets you hear global broadcasts from any member of a certain outfit (who is certifed to do so) for example, or greater than X hours played would be another cool feature of this system.

I hate adding people to ignore lists...

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2
Old 2012-10-30, 10:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
SixShooter
Captain

This would make so much more sense.

Old 2012-10-30, 11:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
DirtyBird
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

They use a better "traffic light" system in the colours now.

No Activity
Low Activity
Enemies Detected
Base Infiltrated
Base Compromised

For the sake of new players (and a few old) an explanation for some of them would help.
And they would need to be udated on a regular basis so the info is accurate.

The colours are fine.
Old 2012-10-31, 10:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Sturmhardt
Contributor
Major

Another shiny example that the devs can't just go with the obviously best solution (that has already been there). They somehow have to try something completely different first and then do exactly what everyone expected in the first place.
Old 2012-10-31, 11:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

They are absolutely, completely allergic to using what worked in PS1.

It smells of new designers.
Old 2012-10-31, 03:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Fear The Amish
First Sergeant

Ok correct me if i am wrong (havent played PS1 in about 7 years) but the PS1 system had nothing to do with numbers there but how close it is to capping. Were as this system tells how many are there so its actually useful in find a fight. because nothing is more annoying then seeing a base is about to fall and leading a whole platoon there to find only 1 LA.
Old 2012-10-31, 10:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
bullet
First Sergeant

I've been wondering why this system wasn't implemented since I first joined the beta. There was key information given to you about the status of the base. All we get now is some bar thats filling up. Okay, so that bar represents how much time?
Old 2012-11-01, 09:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Soothsayer
Contributor
Sergeant Major

The current threat level is "Blackwatch Plaid".
Old 2012-11-01, 09:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Shogun
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Fear The Amish View Post
Ok correct me if i am wrong (havent played PS1 in about 7 years) but the PS1 system had nothing to do with numbers there but how close it is to capping. Were as this system tells how many are there so its actually useful in find a fight. because nothing is more annoying then seeing a base is about to fall and leading a whole platoon there to find only 1 LA.
not sure when it was implemented, so you might not know the ps1 system. whenever there is fighting at a base, an alert is shown of the map. this alert is colorcoded due to the numbers of enemies involved. yellow alert for up to a squad, orange for up to 2 squads and red for multipple squads (not sure if numbers are accurate, but something like that)

worked fine and you always knew where to go. if you wanted to hit the meatgrinder, go to red alerts, if you wanted to retake a base from a smaller force go to yellow alerts.
in addition there were the indicators on bases showing hack state and damage on vital systems.

ps1 had flaws, but this system wasn´t one of them! all vital info was available within seconds. alerts on the map, baseinfo on map mouseovers.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-11-03, 04:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
DirtyBird
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

I think the latest base alert improvements are pretty good.
Much more informative using squads, platoons etc.

I might withdraw that for a bit, seems like if the invading forces are not in a squad or a platoon it might not be entirely accurate.
I'm watching the Crux Motherlode base say 84% NC and 16% VS yet it said No Activity and I could clearly see plenty of VS in the zone.
Wasnt until the base was capped did the map update with Enemy Platoon Detected.

That info is way to late to react to.
Seems like its back to being as slow as an old mole at a christening.

Last edited by DirtyBird; 2012-11-03 at 11:54 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion