Gameplay: Outfit Air Cruisers Redux - Page 10 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: This is a drill; repeat, this IS a drill.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 27 votes, 3.93 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-07-16, 11:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #136
Akadios
Sergeant

Re: Outfit Air Cruisers Redux

Originally Posted by vVRedOctoberVv View Post

I'd like to see some concepts of what you are imagining, to be honest. Are you envisioning an actual SHIP, or more like a platform?
It seems he is imagining this, from 2142. It worked there but of course the game ended when you killed the other teams and there were only two. If they found a way to make them so expensive as to be really limited or something it could work. I don't think it would unbalance anything as they can be infiltrated and captured/destroyed by infantry. It would be no different than just having a slow moving Tech Plant flying above the battlefield.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	623339484.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	777   Click image for larger version

Name:	bf2142_titan-shielded.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	778   Click image for larger version

Name:	image066.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	779   Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	6.0 KB
ID:	780   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen002sm.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	781  

Last edited by Akadios; 2012-07-16 at 11:28 PM.
Old 2012-07-17, 07:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #137
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Akadios View Post
So basically you want outfits to be able to pull Titans from Battlefield 2142? I am not trying to cheapen what you said you added a lot of good detail but to simplify the mechanics of the thing this is basically what you are saying, yes?
Actually, this idea is almost as old as BF 1942. The original iteration was conceived in the first quarter of 2004, before SOE... sidegraded their forums.

Last edited by Baneblade; 2012-07-17 at 07:34 AM.
Old 2012-07-17, 08:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #138
berzerkerking
Second Lieutenant

More like this right?
Old 2012-07-17, 09:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #139
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

In a manner of speaking, yes.
Old 2012-07-17, 10:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #140
Akadios
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Baneblade View Post
Actually, this idea is almost as old as BF 1942. The original iteration was conceived in the first quarter of 2004, before SOE... sidegraded their forums.
I wasn't trying to minimize the idea bro. I understood that it was an old idea. No where did I say it was being copied from 2142. However when someone else (EA) makes the idea a reality and puts it in a game it would make sense to use that as an example of what is being talked about. You may have had the idea first but EA made it a reality and everything you are talking about that is different than the 2142 titans could be viewed as a refinement and posting it as such would probably make it more likely to happen as 2142 was wildly successful. It doesn't mean you can't take credit for having the idea in 2004 but in the end they put it in a game not SOE.

A lot of people who are looking to play ps-2 probably played 2142 including devs. So they will know what you are talking about and it will show that hey ya it was balanced there so it can be balanced here. On top of that anyone who didn't play can watch videos.

There is only about a 20% difference by my estimate from what the original post said and these and most of that has to do with game differences (Outfit, resources, maps, multiples, etc). I was trying to help you not fight you.

For people that didn't play 2142 the titans had flight decks, destructible turrets that could be hit from ground or air, control centers, spawn rooms that could be taken, a generator that could be destroyed to blow the thing up, a command deck that could be disabled to stop movement, engines that could be hit from outside to stop movement, both anti ground which were locked in about 200 degree arcs and fired to ground only, anti-air which were 360 and fired to air and were chain gun style, no flak. They moved really slow but could be moved by the commander and had multiple entrance points, hatches, landing pads, etc that had to be defended from infantry. As well as a multiphase pattern of attack, you had to blow consoles to bring down defensive systems to be able to get to the gen.

Last edited by Akadios; 2012-07-17 at 10:25 AM.
Old 2012-07-17, 11:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #141
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Truth be told, I've never played 2142... or any Battlefield beyond the 1942 mp demo.
Old 2012-07-17, 01:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #142
Dacrim
Corporal

Originally Posted by Akadios View Post
It seems he is imagining this, from 2142. It worked there but of course the game ended when you killed the other teams and there were only two. If they found a way to make them so expensive as to be really limited or something it could work. I don't think it would unbalance anything as they can be infiltrated and captured/destroyed by infantry. It would be no different than just having a slow moving Tech Plant flying above the battlefield.
personally i think something like this would be absolutely awesome in Planetside 2!!
Old 2012-07-17, 05:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #143
Akadios
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Baneblade View Post
Truth be told, I've never played 2142... or any Battlefield beyond the 1942 mp demo.
I fully believe you, you may want to educate yourself on their titans because it is a better footing for your idea as it shows that the same thing worked in another game.

*Better footing as in more likely to be picked up by a dev*

Last edited by Akadios; 2012-07-17 at 06:02 PM.
Old 2012-07-18, 09:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #144
Marinealver
Sergeant Major

I would like to see Water and Amphibious ships before we worry about the airships,

even though that is a hope of mine, but why reach for the clouds in the sky when you can shoot for the moon and the stars in space?
Old 2012-07-18, 10:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #145
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

I covered all that. Thanks for the bump
Old 2012-07-19, 02:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #146
berzerkerking
Second Lieutenant

/Bump

Old 2012-07-19, 06:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #147