Could I add a 512 MB memory card with the 128 card I already have (max mem. is 512)? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: and you thought sex was fun!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2002-12-30, 01:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Sandtaco
Sergeant Major

Could I add a 512 MB memory card with the 128 card I already have (max mem. is 512)?

Yeah my comp has 128 MB right now, now if I buy a 512 MB card to max out the memory on my comp (the maximum of mem. on my comp happens to be 512). Would it still work? I don't want to take out the 128 card cause it has all my music. But would putting 64 MB on a comp that can hold 512 bad?

"Guess I've drank the planetside kool-aid already, but this game looks like it will be unbelievably good." - Airlift
Old 2002-12-30, 01:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
afex
Contributor
Major

it seems you're thinking harddrive, not ram.

if you switch out your ram with more, you wont lose your music
Old 2002-12-30, 01:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Sandtaco
Sergeant Major

yeah harddrive, I feel like crap today I can't get anything straight. So I can still add the new card and nothing will happen? Will the extra 128 MB? just not be used?

"Guess I've drank the planetside kool-aid already, but this game looks like it will be unbelievably good." - Airlift
Old 2002-12-30, 01:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Marsman
Major

With a 512MB maximum - I'd be worried what size DIMM might be recognized - it may not even ba capable of reading a 512. I would suggest you consult the Motherboard manufacturer's web site or manual and see what DIMM sizes are supported. you might end up having to get 2 256's, or another 128 and a 256 if you have that many DIMM slots.
Old 2002-12-30, 01:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Sandtaco
Sergeant Major

Yeah, I might have to buy two 256's. I guess I'll just save the other card incase I ever need to get anything that's on it.

Old 2002-12-30, 02:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
powdahound
Contributor
PSU Staff
Code Hound

What motherboard do you have?

And:
RAM (Random access memory) is not where your data (such as music, games, and other programs) are stored. That's your hard drive. When your computer wants to run a program it loads a copy into the ram and runs it from there (ram is much faster than a hard drive). Changing your ram will not cause you to loose your music or anything.

Depending on your motherboard you may or may not be able to put in the 512 stick. If it has a max of 512 it sounds like an older mobo... Look in your manual to see what you really have.
Old 2002-12-30, 05:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Navaron
Contributor
Major General

I don't know what mobo you have, but if it maxes out at 512 then it may be getting long in the tooth. I'm guessing you're probably looking at pc 133, which for 512 will cost you just around 45 bucks. Now for 93 you can get an 1600 athlon xp mobo. More money, but better for the long run. If your mb is as old as I'm thinking, this is where your money is best spent. What are your system specs?

Vist www.bohicagaming.com because we're better than you.
Apply|Contact|Forum
Old 2002-12-30, 07:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
BLuE_ZeRO
l33t Whore
#manlove op

I'm guessing you didn't build your computer yourself so who did you buy it from? (ie. Dell, gateway, etc.) Might not want to start screwing with your mobo because it will most likely void your warranty.
Old 2002-12-30, 08:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Sandtaco
Sergeant Major

It's a dell, but about the only thing I can do is screw with my mobo

Old 2002-12-30, 09:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
powdahound
Contributor
PSU Staff
Code Hound

How do you know the max mem is 512mb? Just curious, because that's not very much at all. Maybe you're thinking 512 per ram slot? (There are usually 3 slots)
Old 2002-12-31, 01:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Sandtaco
Sergeant Major

The comp has 2 slots, and I believe the max memory for both slots is 512. It's a Dell Dimensions 4100 quite old

Old 2002-12-31, 06:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
TG_NightHawk
Corporal

Originally posted by Sandtaco
Yeah, I might have to buy two 256's. I guess I'll just save the other card incase I ever need to get anything that's on it.
Yup...that's exactly what you'll have to do! A buddy of mine has a Dell Dimension 4300 with 512mb max, it sucks that is all the memory you can put in, either that or get a new motherboard!
Old 2002-12-31, 06:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Civilian
Contributor
Major

I also had this same problem. I have a Gateway with max 512 and tried to leave my 128 in with my 2x256, but it didn't work

Kinda stinks, I'm ready for a new PC
Old 2002-12-31, 06:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
BLuE_ZeRO
l33t Whore
#manlove op

sand how fast is your processor btw?
Old 2003-01-02, 02:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Dyzan
Corporal

Sand, I uhhh don't think you're getting it..

I guess I'll just save the other card incase I ever need to get anything that's on it.
Nothing is stored on RAM. Unless your using a RAMDrive.. which I guarantee you aren't, so no worries.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum