1337 5p34k 4pPr0v3D 4 teh GaM3 - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I swear I don't speedhack!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-02-11, 10:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #46
Lillemanden
Staff Sergeant

I like "normal" names better than 1337 names, but I still think that people with these names should be allowed to keep their 1337 names - as long as they aren't offensive. But I do think the names should have a max legnth of around 20 chr's.
Also people with these names will proberly be the last to be invited to a squad.
Old 2003-02-11, 11:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #47
OmnipotentKiwi
Lieutenant Colonel

They should have plenty of servers, one in each region atleast should prevent numbers in naming, that way it won't be as bad.

xXOmnipotentKiwiMonkeySlapperXx

OR

xX0mn1p0t3ntK1w1M0nk3yS1aPp3rXx

And personally I would rather have 20 characters as stated here too, because then that name would be cut down to:

OmnipotentKiwiMonkey

OR

0mn1p0t3ntK1w1M0nk3y

All in all, the naming policy personally currently sounds like a headache waiting to happen.
Old 2003-02-13, 03:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #48
mikkyT
Contributor
First Lieutenant

jeez some peeps really dont think at all do they?

I don't know that it's a problem, but yeah, that seems to be the case. It would appear that the server remembers what clan you are in and puts the name there. I wonder how that works, anyone got a clue?
When a person registers an outift on the server, the server will take the Outfit name, possibly some other information who knows (tag, web addy maybe?)

This information is stuffed into a database.

That person can then add characters to his newly formed outfit. When a character is added to the Outfit, his character record in the character database will have AN_OUTFIT_001 stuffed into it so that the server now knows that this player is part of 13370|_|F1T001.

When it comes to drawing your name on the screen it gets your name from the character database and the outfit name (or tag) from the outfit record linked to your character record.

That way, if there happens to be a method of getting a character information screen (right click a character who knows) his outfit information can be added to the screen as well, like outfit leader etc etc.
Old 2003-02-13, 03:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #49
mikkyT
Contributor
First Lieutenant

I would really like to learn how this system actually works. I haven't heard it seriously from anyone who would know. What about retards who just add your clan name to their name? What's to stop that. I can see a lot of CDL wannabe's just entering that themselves. This would be a great Q for the shoutcast.
See my post above.

Your not in a server of 20 people which has a life cycle of maptime.

Your in a persistent world. Your actions have meaning and consequences.

You don't form your outfits outside the game then just fire up the game and edit your name to be [N00bZ]player1. You CANT edit your name, except when you create the character on the server.

Evey name HAS to be unique. It goes without saying.

Its very likely that to create an outift on the server you will need quite a few peeps all ready to perform some action to create the outfit, like all type in a command EG:

Outfit_Leader: /create MyOutift [MO] www.myoutfit.info

Player1: /approve MyOutfit
Player2: /approve MyOutfit
Player3: /approve MyOutift

Etc etc until X number of people have done it then the outfit will be created.

This is just an example, it could be done in lots of ways - DAOC you clicked on a graphic that was on the floor, EQ you petitioned an admin (until they created a method sorta like the one above).

Tag names will have to be unique IF they have tag names displayed on screen.

How else will you distinguish between tags of the same name? You cant have two outifts with the same name therefore you cant have tags of the same name either. Its a playability issue.

Can you imagine AGN reporting the latest continental lockdown, crediting it to the [HB] crew, Hard B@stards. When really it was little known, unproven [HB] who should have gotten the credit, [HB] being Horny Beasts.
Old 2003-02-13, 03:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #50
mikkyT
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Sorry bout all these posts, for the benefit of the BOHICA crew (think thats spelt right):

Creating your character on the server would go something like the following:

Login with your station name an password (edit billing credit card info if needed, enter registration account key etc).

Choose your home server (the server where your char will live, you cant move him so choose wisely).

Select to create a new character (maximum of 4, all in the same empire so again, choose wisely).

Give him a name, choose his face and sex.

The server will then check if your name has been taken and if it is acceptable against the naming policy.

If it is, then your character will now be accessable in the character list for this server.

Click him, and you will enter the gaming world.

At this point, you now have an Outfitless character. If you want to join an outfit (perhaps your buddies all joined the game and want to create an Outfit OR you wana join an existing outfit) you will have to start speaking to people, either find your buddies or find an existing outfit.
Old 2003-02-13, 03:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #51
mikkyT
Contributor
First Lieutenant

here I go again! eek

http://www.planetside-universe.com/f...&threadid=2510

Check my post there.

When creating your character DONT stick your clan name in.

Jeez I can imagine it now all the 1337 n00bs coming into the server creating:

[1W]A_1337_whore
[1W]A_1337_whore2

then joining an outfit later on in the game when they realise that just sticking [1W] in their name doesnt give them an outfit...

[1W]A_1337_whore2[The n00b Crew]

or if it puts the name underneath:

[1W]A_1337_whore2
[The n00b Crew]

Old 2003-02-13, 04:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #52
Zatrais
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

lol mikkyT....

you forgott that you also select the voice you want your char to use in char creation tho hehe
Old 2003-02-13, 04:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #53
mikkyT
Contributor
First Lieutenant

ok ok smart arse

Old 2003-02-13, 10:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #54
Tobias
I'm with the Vanu

MikkyT has most of it abought right though.
Old 2003-02-13, 11:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #55
mistled
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

mikky, I hate to say it, but you're a jackass. A couple of things. One, we know that the outfit name is under your name, so you don't need it as part of your name. That's kindof what started this whole discussion, so don't post the obvious.

Also, no one cares about the way the server is going to handle the code. The question was actually about how the server would know who CDL or whoever had allowed in the clan, so that random people can't join. I really don't care about the database. I don't even care if they use a huge textfile to pull the variables in to get your outfit name (heaven grant us patience as we wait forever if they did though). The question was about the enduser part of it, not the stupid database code.

The explaination of a system for a game that isn't released was kind of odd though. You could have simply posted 'the creator of the outfit will directly control who is allowed into the outfit' and you would have been just as effective.

oh yeah. your last two posts in your series were fine and didn't come across like you were all holier than thou. Someone who's been registered for two days shouldn't come in and act like they know everything.

...Visit {BOHICA}...

{BOHICA}: Giving it to Gamers, One Ass Kicking at a Time
Old 2003-02-13, 11:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #56
�io
Lieutenant General

Originally posted by {BOHICA}mistled
Someone who's been registered for two days shouldn't come in and act like they know everything.
Heh that's the internet baby, everybody apprently knows everything and everyone.
Old 2003-02-13, 11:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #57
mistled
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Yeah, I know. I just like to remind people how stupid it is.

...Visit {BOHICA}...

Old 2003-02-13, 01:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
Zatrais
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

What makes mikkyT a jackass? he gave a long, good explenation of how the system most likely will work. I'm saying it'll work like that most likely because it's pretty much how it works in all other MMOGs...

*shrug* maybee i'm not getting the jackass part cause english isn't my primary language..
Old 2003-02-13, 03:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
mistled
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

It's just little things in his reply that struck me wrong. Mainly that he began his first post with "jeez some peeps really dont think at all do they?"

People tend to stop listening when the first thing you do is insult them. (yeah, I know I insulted mikky first thing in my post... the irony of it just didn't hit me until now )

...Visit {BOHICA}...

Old 2003-02-14, 03:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #60
mikkyT
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Hey, I wasnt replying to you when I said "jeez some peeps really dont think at all do they?" ... I was just generalising on the whole post honest...

And the database thing was relevant - for all I know you could have been assuming that editting your name to read {BOHCIA}Player1 instead of Player1 automatically grants you access to that outift... Now you know how these things are stored, they are not some name=1337dude that can be editted in a console. They are stored (and accessed) on the server and can only be accessed by authorised peeps.

Sorry for being helpful.

Just because I've registered on this forum for only two days does not take away years of knowledge regarding MMO's (Began in June 1999 EverQuest, Asherons Call, AO and Shadowbane beta) and FPS's (Mid 1998, Quake, Half-life DM, TFC, FLF & DoD).

Just cos I'm considered a n00b in terms of registering doesn't automatically wipe my memory...
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion