Hit indicators - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: now featuring robot sex
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-10, 10:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #46
fishirboy
Staff Sergeant

Re: Hit indicators

Originally Posted by Dart View Post
Wow, really didn't expect you to change your mind. Kudos - takes an open mind to be able to take a step back, evaluate both arguments and change your opinion.
I argued for that side to get rid of it because it is use like a handicap for grenades if they could take that out i would love it. Just chucking a grenade in and waiting for the click or beep that you hit some one makes it unfair and kind of like a wall hack??? I support people that camp the objective because there trying to save there team by not allowing the enemy any way to get to the check point.
Old 2012-07-10, 10:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #47
Erendil
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by fishirboy View Post
I argued for that side to get rid of it because it is use like a handicap for grenades if they could take that out i would love it. Just chucking a grenade in and waiting for the click or beep that you hit some one makes it unfair and kind of like a wall hack??? I support people that camp the objective because there trying to save there team by not allowing the enemy any way to get to the check point.
One possible compromise would be to show a hit indicator only on a direct hit and/or if the target is in LOS. So explosive damage from a grenade/tank shell etc wouldn't show an indicator unless you bounced it off the guy's forehead.

IMO there should be hit indicators for direct hits tho. This is especially important when going up against opponents that take several hits to take down. For example, from the E3 footage it looks like it takes anywhere from 20-30 rounds with an AR to take out a MAX. Even HA troops seemed to take something like 10 or so hits to kill.
Old 2012-07-10, 02:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
Otleaz
Second Lieutenant

A good compromise would be to make it so explosives don't trigger the hit indicator. If there is a vision impairing effect like flashbang or smoke it probably shouldn't occur either.
Old 2012-07-10, 02:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
wasdie
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by fishirboy View Post
I don't want all the fancy wind things and stuff but this is the bet example for sniping and i relay just don't see how we need hit indicators, if you hit them they will fall over if you don't then you will see sand or a spark from hitting a solid object. As well as seeing shots from assault rifles as well should be seen in the dirt so why do we need hit indicators?
Do you realize that both of the games you posted are attempting to be military sims? Even worse, you posted sniping videos where the guys are prone, taking their time and hitting targets after properly aiming. What part about this game has any of that?

Planetside 2 is an arcadey, sci-fi shooter. It's 100x the pace of both of those games combined. It doesn't even have prone. Hit indicators help remove the clunkiness of shooting an opponent. You can't just sit there and observe if you've hit your opponent or not. The game is to fast paced for that.

Pretty much every shooter that isn't trying to have realistic gunplay and shooting has hit indicators because they streamline the action a bit and keep the pace up. You want to implement features from other sub genres with a whole different focus than what Planetside 2 has.

Last edited by wasdie; 2012-07-10 at 02:58 PM.
Old 2012-07-10, 03:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

Who needs hit indicators? I've got killspam! (it tastes like bacon, only better)

No, I shall stand! Sitting is for the weak and feeble.
Old 2012-07-11, 08:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
Froglicker
Corporal

Main reason I argue against hit indicators is because of its potential abuse against legitimate night tactics and paid-for camo patterns, not because of a general "hurr hurr COD has it so it must be bad derpyderp" mentality. And yeah, PS1 had hit indicators, but PS1 also had very little concept of camouflage besides infiltrator suits, but I feel that was balanced by the fact that they had permacloak.
Although I admit I hadn't considered lag in my initial thought process, I feel there better ways around it. For example, instead of a hit indicator flashing when the server registers a hit, why not spawn a small blood puff when and where a hit is registered? You'd still know if you hit someone even with lag, but doesn't give a gift-wrapped confirmation for those not fully attentive during night or camo fights.

Note: I have no problem with hit indicators to inform about friendly fire.
Old 2012-07-11, 11:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
mynameismud
Corporal

Either way be them in or out, ill be cool with either.

But this whole COD argument is silly, hit indicators were around wwwaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy before those modern things existed.

Back when every shooter was WWII based. aaaaaahhhhh those were the days. I remember complaining about all the WWII games, the fool I was.

First time i remember seeing hit indicators was return to castle wolfenstein. long time ago
Old 2012-07-11, 11:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
Chrispin
Corporal

Originally Posted by Rat View Post
A little off topic, but I really hope that the system has the ability to track crotch shots, you really need to be a expert marksman to hit a Vanu in the nads!!!
Yeah, we need a pfft sound for body shots, a ping sound for headshots, and a boiyoiyoing sound for crotch shots.
Old 2012-07-12, 12:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #54
Roy Awesome
First Sergeant

I love the COD argument here. Planetside 1 had giant fucking hit indicators on your screen. It took up about 20% of the screenspace when you hit someone.
Old 2012-07-12, 12:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #55
Accuser
Sergeant Major

Hit indicators don't convey that much information, and grenades won't be spammable (at least, it seems they wont). So the only time it would be an issue would be if a tank were searching for troops with splash damage, but that's a waste of what seems to be rather limited tank ammo.

I don't see a problem with it.
Old 2012-07-12, 12:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #56
OnexBigxHebrew
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Froglicker View Post
Main reason I argue against hit indicators is because of its potential abuse against legitimate night tactics and paid-for camo patterns
Did you seriously just support pay2win?

Really? You don't want a base game mechanic because it takes away an advantage you paid for?!?!

GET THE ROPE, BOYS!
Old 2012-07-12, 12:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #57
Erendil
First Lieutenant

I'm trying to remember... I'm almost positive you don't get a hit indicator in PS1 if you hit a cloaker. I seem to recall not seeing the orange circle when u hit cloakers and instead having to rely on the target flash and little spray of sparks from the impact when shooting my Pulsar to tell if I scored a hit.

I actually enjoyed that mechanic a lot more than the orange circle indicator, so I think I'd like any indicators to be a more integrated and natural part of the action and not just some artificial orange circle or flashing X. Given that pretty much all targets have metallic armour of some sort I think something like a spray of sparks upon impact would be a good implementation, kinda like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...B_rUa58#t=182s

You could also include a slight "target hit" thud if the target was close enough, and maybe a little red mist - nothing too gory tho, I have less than no interest in seeing buckets of red goop and small chunks and body parts flying everywhere.

Last edited by Erendil; 2012-07-12 at 12:49 AM.
Old 2012-07-12, 01:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #58
Froglicker
Corporal

Originally Posted by OnexBigxHebrew View Post
Did you seriously just support pay2win?

Really? You don't want a base game mechanic because it takes away an advantage you paid for?!?!

GET THE ROPE, BOYS!
Oh, gee. You've shown me the errors of my ways.
If only those station cash camos could be balanced out by being purchasable with in-game resources as well, then my argument would still be valid. Oh wait, YOU CAN.

Whether you buy with Station Cash or earned Auraxium, camos are still paid for.

Now, if there were SC-only camos, then that's a completely different issue, but the devs have repeatedly stated that anything that'd have an actual impact on gameplay would not be SC-only so I'm not exactly worried.
Old 2012-07-12, 01:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #59
OnexBigxHebrew
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Froglicker View Post
Oh, gee. You've shown me the errors of my ways.
If only those station cash camos could be balanced out by being purchasable with in-game resources as well, then my argument would still be valid. Oh wait, YOU CAN.

Whether you buy with Station Cash or earned Auraxium, camos are still paid for.

Now, if there were SC-only camos, then that's a completely different issue, but the devs have repeatedly stated that anything that'd have an actual impact on gameplay would not be SC-only so I'm not exactly worried.
I was pretty obviously joking. Don't take yourself so seriously, lol. No one is attacking you, and there's no need to start quoting the devs, cowboy.

Man, I can't wait for the beta to start so everyone isn't so pissy.

Chill.
Old 2012-07-12, 01:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #60
Froglicker
Corporal

Originally Posted by OnexBigxHebrew View Post
I was pretty obviously joking. Don't take yourself so seriously, lol. No one is attacking you, and there's no need to start quoting the devs, cowboy.

Man, I can't wait for the beta to start so everyone isn't so pissy.

Chill.
eh.. my bad? lol
Considering some of the posts on these forums and the very fact that this IS the internet, it can be pretty hard to tell what's serious sometimes. You can understand my confusion.

I hear you on beta starting tho. I'm debating whether to drive down for friday's event for swag and free keys. Im only 2hrs away... hmm.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion