ESF and the Scout Radar - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Stand back sir, I'm from the internet!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2014-05-14, 02:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Grizzo
Private

ESF and the Scout Radar

I've just invested heavily into maxing out the Scout Radar and Stealth for my ESF. I'd thought I'd give this set up a try in the hope of providing useful information to my team on the ground.

After a doubtful start I am now really warming to it. In major battles, I'll do a fast, low fly past over the battle site and it lights up all the enemy positions to our team on their map like a Christmas tree! I'll do a couple or so fly pasts before the enemy wises up and I become a target, then I'm out of there. XP rolls in for spotting.

It's also very useful on picking out those loners and snipers out on the hills or sneaking around our bases and I hunt them down.

Disadvantages are that I've had to sacrifice my Nanite Repairs and the one where you can extinguish a fire and heal up (can't remember what it's called atm ) so it's a pain when you do take hits, you constantly have to land out and repair.

With the stealth, I've also managed to sneak up on the occasional enemy esf for a kill.

I've heard of someone just sitting on a bio lab in his esf whilst racking up spotting xp.

Think I'll stick with this set up for a while longer and see how more inventive I can get.

Anyone else use Scout Radar?
Old 2014-05-14, 02:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Illtempered
First Sergeant

Re: ESF and the Scout Radar

We've been using it since day one, situationally. One of our trade-secrets was to park a scythe with max scout radar on the shoulders of the biolab, outside. That makes the whole base an interfarm.

It's a bit tricky, but once you get tucked in there it's very hard to see from the attackers position. I spent many biofarms sitting there in my scythe while our platoon farmed away....oh the responsibilities of leadership. The only time I got caught doing that was by rguitar, because I forgot to equip full stealth, and showed up on his minimap.
Old 2014-05-14, 06:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Crator
Major General

I'm not a flyer but I do use the scout radar on the Flash all the time.
Old 2014-05-14, 09:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Boildown
Sergeant

Been doing this forever:

And probably half of my Twitch highlights: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown/profile ...

... Show me using scout radar on either a Flash or Reaver. It used to be a lot better, when you could step off your vehicle and still have the radar running. Just step into the vehicle once every 5 minutes, assuming in the case of the Flash, no one stepped into the rumble seat for you.

I run it less now because of engagement radar being far better for A2A detection of enemy aircraft. But if I ever Auraxium the other Reaver weapons (I'm done with Air Hammer, close with the Rotary, have barely touched the other two), then my main loadout will probably return to the Air Hammer and Radar, its pretty fun.

Edit: Oh by the way, if you're ever being ghost capped repeatedly by undetectable infiltrators with their infinite cloaking ability: they can't hide from scout radar. Its essential for tracking them down until they're all dead.

Last edited by Boildown; 2014-05-14 at 09:41 PM.
Old 2014-05-17, 04:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Mordelicius
Major

You got 3 alternatives for Biolab:

- Scout Flash Radar, as already mentioned above. This is more for cleanup or during the start of Biolab. Ride this under the dome and you'll know where the enemy decides to 'rush in'.

In Waterson, this is invaluable since VS loves ninja rush especially from Galaxies out nowhere, while TR loves simultaneous 'Max Crash' coming from and adjacent satellite teleporter.

- Infiltrator darts - This great for Biolab defense only when the enemy is generally contained.
- Infiltrator radar - This is my least favorite because, you can't throw use it over distance.

One of the main reason why Biolabs are difficult to take is many attackers don't want to leave their vehicles. So, if you're defending, it's better to just leave the vehicles, with the exception of the OP Liberators, which I assume they will nerf eventually
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion