Hacking Control Points - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: BLARGH! "You Gotta Try Harder than that!"
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-06-08, 08:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Zebasiz
Corporal

Re: Hacking Control Points

On the subject of the Speed of the hack, I can't remember where but I thought I heard they made it short for the E3 demo. Just so they weren't standing there for a minute doing nothing. I could be wrong though.
Old 2012-06-08, 08:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
SoNaR
Corporal

Misc Info

Hacking atm reminds me too much of settings/defusing an MCON in Battlefield...
Old 2012-06-08, 08:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
The Degenatron
Master Sergeant

I've always said, since the early days of PS1, that hacking should be an infiltrator ability only.

For PS2, I could see it being an infiltrator or light assault ability.

It should require a tool that takes up the secondary weapon slot and you should be able to cert up in it - increasing the speed at which you hack.

The point is to make "Hacker" into a specialization and to encourage team-play where squads work together to get their hacker to the terminal. The hacker becomes a "living flag" that must be protected on the way to the control point.

I agree with the point of the doors. One of my favorite moments in PS1 is waiting in a coridor looking at the back door, waitingfor the enemy to come pouring in. It always reminds me of the opening scene from starwars.
Old 2012-06-08, 09:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Saintlycow
Sergeant Major

I find it goes by fast at the zurvan amp station.

Also, will there be a cooldown in game of how many times a base can be contested in a certain time limit
Old 2012-06-08, 10:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by SoNaR View Post
Hacking atm reminds me too much of settings/defusing an MCON in Battlefield...
It reminds me of it too not why I'm against how it currently is though... you just have too much ability to defend yourself while hacking atm... and anyone can do it. I'd kind of prefer it to be an infiltrator-only ability.
Old 2012-06-09, 12:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
QuantumMechanic
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
I also don't like that you can rotate around while hacking with your gun out.
Originally Posted by DjEclipse View Post
Are you fucking with me?

I really shouldnt ask cause Im likely being Punk'd but WHY?
Well... this guy can hack with his gun out.

Old 2012-06-09, 12:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Xyntech
Brigadier General

I want to try the current system first (assuming the devs still like it by the time beta starts), but I would also like them to test out limiting hacking to a certain class at some point in beta as well.

I agree with The Degenatron on some points. I believe that they already intend Infiltrators the be the hacking class, so I'd like to see that variation tested. I wouldn't mind if every hacker, even the snipers, had the option to hack control consoles by default. It would be different than the REK system, but similar in some ways, and still equally as interesting IMO. Limiting it to the infiltrator class and requiring them to cert into it at the cost of other options would probably be a little bit too limited. Not having a hacker along was an occasional mistake in early PS1, but it would become a frequent problem if it were too restricted. Bad idea for something as important as hacking a base.

The very importance of hacking a base is a pretty strong argument in favor of allowing everyone to hack actually. Limitations are usually better left to peripheral gameplay elements, not core elements that you need to do to progress the game.

But I think that allowing all infiltrators to hack CC's could potentially be a good middle ground still. You could make it an extremely limited hacking tool, that could only hack control points. Hacking anything else would then require certification specialization.

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
I also don't like that you can rotate around while hacking with your gun out.
I like that you can rotate around. It's like if you were able to peek over your shoulder while hacking. Maybe the process doesn't require your full attention at every second of the hack. Being locked to the one view was kind of annoying. Maybe if it were more like freelook in vehicles, with a limited range that you could rotate your head, while your body stayed motionless.

But I agree with having the gun out being lame. Someone coming in should be noticeable if you have your head turned in their general direction, but the attacker should still have the upper hand for a moment, as the person stopped hacking to pull out their gun. Lone wolfing a control point should be possible, but be made 10x better with team work, as most game elements should be.

Last edited by Xyntech; 2012-06-09 at 12:14 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion