1 empire per account and F2P - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: better than pizza.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-03-25, 01:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
Graywolves
General

Re: 1 empire per account and F2P

I don't think it makes sense to lock an account to 1 empire when you're fully aware that they can hop on another empire any time they want by making a new account. Might as well just save players the trouble.
Old 2012-03-25, 01:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
Maarvy
Master Sergeant

spy's , Pish posh .

Much rarher use that extra processing power and extra account on my personal galaxy pilot. Fuck wasting good br on galaxy certs .
Old 2012-03-25, 01:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
noxious
Second Lieutenant

It's a totally irrelevant issue. Creating a new account for a free to play game takes a minute. If you want to make another account to play another empire, just make another account. It's the most trivial thing in the world.

Spies create separate accounts anyway, since they need to be able to dualbox to spy effectively, so the spy consideration is not part of the equation.

Yeah, they should probably just let a single account access all empires since account hopping is so easy, but if they don't, who cares. Spend an extra 15 seconds switching accounts when you want to switch between characters on different empires; it's not going to kill you.

Last edited by noxious; 2012-03-25 at 01:31 PM.
Old 2012-03-25, 01:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #64
Dir
Private

Originally Posted by IronMole View Post
You do know MAC addresses can easily be changed?
Hehe...before the days it was universally included in the driver configuration I used to keep a box of network cards beside my computer ;-)
Old 2012-03-25, 02:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #65
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

What most PS1 vets are worried about is very simple.

When the TR start crushing blues and purples they're just gonna log on their other account and join the awesome TR. PS1 had an ok counter. Once you switched, you couldn't switch again for several hours.

They can put in as many incentives as they want to get people to join a low pop empire. But some just want to join the winning/bigger/better side. I just hope they thought of a good way to control it.
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none

Last edited by Lonehunter; 2012-03-25 at 02:07 PM.
Old 2012-03-25, 03:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #66
bigcracker
Sergeant Major

Dealing with spies will be easy imo,Just use voice comms with your outfit and if by some chance they spy on you and find out where you are..Well kill them all?If someone wants to spy on me and put there forces infront of my gun to give me more targets I am ok with that.
Old 2012-03-25, 03:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #67
Vanir
Staff Sergeant

This issue of empire hopping by creating new accounts could be amended by having a box price to the game. I.E. You have to buy the game, it comes with a key code which you have to enter when you make your account. To make another account you will have buy another key code which would be at the same price as buying another game. It's not a fix but it would be a deterrence.

Old 2012-03-25, 04:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #68
Redshift
Major

Originally Posted by Vanir View Post
This issue of empire hopping by creating new accounts could be amended by having a box price to the game. I.E. You have to buy the game, it comes with a key code which you have to enter when you make your account. To make another account you will have buy another key code which would be at the same price as buying another game. It's not a fix but it would be a deterrence.
And it'll ruin the games pops,

We already know the game is fully F2P, we also know it has to be to get the numbers they need.
Old 2012-03-25, 04:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #69
Knocky
Major

You drop a couple of hexes behind enemy lines.

You are at the CC waiting on the hack to go through.

(Using PS terms since we don't know how Capping really works)

Infiltrator on roof reports incoming Gal drop.

Your squads are covering two doors waiting to eat up the incoming.

Infiltrator reports troopers are dropping.

You are ready.

The two AI maxes behind you start to TK the hell out your people right as the enemy hit the door.

Sound like fun?

That still happens BTW.
Old 2012-03-25, 05:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #70
Brusi
Contributor
Major

Yeah, so i have been being a bit lazy with expressing my concerns in this thread...

It's not just about spies, i've been using this term when the most inclusive term is probably (as knocky has illustrated) griefers.

A griefers could be a player or account who does any or all of the following:
  • gathering intel for another empire, not assisting their own.
  • blocks things or team kills for either fun or profit.
  • only ever plays on the winning team.
  • switch empires to join which ever outfit has the best leadership/seems most successful, rather than rising up to be competitive.
  • other shitty things, not in the spirit of the game...

Hmm, spose the best term still isn't really griefers, it's probably dicks.

I think (other than being more profitable for SOE) that encouraging empire loyalty through all the inevitable nerfing and buffing of ES weapons and vehicles is a good idea. As we have seen from polls, the spread of players and their choice of intended will be quite even to begin with.

I don't think that newbies will feel slighted by having to choose from the beginning, everyone knows which empire they like, the same way you know if you want the chicken, fish or beef meal on your international flight. Having a big button that says "take a look at the game from the enemies perspective" has the potential to create more complaints than it solves. The current PS Timer system is fine, but perhaps it wouldn't hurt to encourage a little more empire loyalty from the beginning of the game.

Of course, it's only a minor inconvenience to create another account, and of course this works both ways... but i believe that most people are born good, and only become dicks cause it was the easy thing to do. Put a policeman ever few kilometres and people will hesitate before they just shit on the sidewalk.

Also... i'm not sure what empire i will eventually play, although this is mainly due to my RL friends being evenly split between the three. I'm definitely going to create (at least) 3 accounts so that i can occasionally play with the PS outfits on all three empires that i have in the past.

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2
Old 2012-03-25, 06:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #71
Redshift
Major

Originally Posted by Brusi View Post
A griefers could be a player or account who does any or all of the following:
  • gathering intel for another empire, not assisting their own.
  • blocks things or team kills for either fun or profit.
  • only ever plays on the winning team.
  • switch empires to join which ever outfit has the best leadership/seems most successful, rather than rising up to be competitive.
  • other shitty things, not in the spirit of the game...
1 empire per acc won't solve any of those, in fact in terms of griefing i'd assume it's worse since the grief points can't be linked

essentially all this shit is going to happen regardless of how many empires you have per account, they need other game systems to stop this since the account thing can't. Might as well let those of use who dont do dickish things do our non-dickish things easily.
Old 2012-03-25, 08:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #72
NEWSKIS
Corporal

Another concern I'd have is with the resource system tied to holding territory, whats to keep people from switching to the empire with the most territory to farm resources?

Truthfully if people want to spy/grief, even a paid subscription per month wouldn't stop them.
Old 2012-03-25, 11:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #73
Sirisian
Colonel

I don't think that newbies will feel slighted by having to choose from the beginning, [...]

[...]

Also... i'm not sure what empire i will eventually play, although this is mainly due to my RL friends being evenly split between the three. I'm definitely going to create (at least) 3 accounts so that i can occasionally play with the PS outfits on all three empires that i have in the past.
This is definitely why I feel strongly for allowing membership to have 3 accounts under the same name. One of my friends in RL already said he's play TR with another playing VS. We plan to play on the same server so we can both play with and against each other. For convenience it would be nice if the game supported that kind of stuff from the beginning. PS1 was kind of bad at that especially when the timers interfered with being able to play together.

Originally Posted by NEWSKIS View Post
Another concern I'd have is with the resource system tied to holding territory, whats to keep people from switching to the empire with the most territory to farm resources?
Regarding promoting empire loyalty I think this resource idea would go a far way to do that as it would encourage someone to stay playing for a few minutes negating the need for empire lock timers. (Though you could still have them). It's one of the things I was thinking of while designing it to encourage prolonged activity on an account.

Last edited by Sirisian; 2012-03-25 at 11:07 PM.
Old 2012-03-26, 12:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #74
Brusi
Contributor
Major

How about having to level up your first character to BR(something) before you can unlock a 2nd empire charater slot on the same account?

Premium stuff from the cash shop that is also unlockable is always nice...

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2

Last edited by Brusi; 2012-03-26 at 12:52 AM.
Old 2012-03-26, 11:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #75
Redshift
Major

How about having to level up your first character to BR(something) before you can unlock a 2nd empire charater slot on the same account?
decent idea, i think i'd still go for a paid option/ membership being allowed multiple empire on 1 account, won't effect griefers/spies as said before, they'd just use a F2P account anyway
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion