Car time! - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Get down! They're throwing rubber duckies!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge

Old 2007-08-19, 12:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Giovanni
Colonel

Car time!

Finally repaid my debts, about freaking time.

So now I have a choice to make. I got my license not too long ago and I'm under 25 so you can imagine the insurance costs of pretty much anything.

My plan. Have my godfather purchase the car with a deposit from me. Have it listed under his name so I only pay around 100$ at most per month.

Now, I've been looking around... alot of stuff looks good to me. I don't know how to work a manual transmission but I'll learn if I have to, a truck doesn't really interest me neither do SUV's. Jeeps, cars, compact cars are really what I'm looking for.

I've looked at the Smart (as I said some time ago) but it's tiny as fuck and pretty damn expensive. Being a mercedes it's costly to maintain too... I've also been looking at Audi. Cars that have around a hundred thousand kilometers and that are around 4 years old... depending on the model (I like the TT quattro) can run from 18 to 27 grand. From what I've heard they are also pretty damn reliable.

Any input? I've been pushed towards honda by alot of my friends but I dunno...

All input welcome! Woo!
Old 2007-08-19, 09:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
siXR
Private

Re: Car time!

I've driven a few Audis (A3, A4, S4) and Hondas (Civic, Accord) over the years so I'll give you some input.
You didn't mention what other models/engines you were looking at or the mileage you're planning on doing, but hopefully this helps somewhat:

Honda Accord - Bomb-proof reliability, good build quality, smooth engine & ride, comes fully loaded as standard, good MPG. Holds it's value (though not as well as an Audi).
Audi A4 - Reliable, good build quality, good engine, comfortable, good resale value. Not much kit fitted standard though. Less mileage between services than the Honda.
A3 - As per the A4 but expensive for what it is. Again you don't get much fitted as standard compared to the Japanese cars.

I'm putting my money where my mouth is - I'm buying an Accord in the next few weeks. There isn't too much to choose between the A4 & the Honda in terms of handling, comfort etc imho - What swung it was the reliability, running costs, the fact the Accord gets a lot of extras fitted as standard & it's cheaper than the equivalent A4.

Last edited by siXR; 2007-08-19 at 10:01 AM.
Old 2007-08-19, 11:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Pollocks
Private

really any *** cars are mint. they are extremly reliable.

things like toyota, mazda, susuki anything japanese. they makes cars to last. they might not be EXTREMELY powerful but they are small and nippy.

if u can get the second model of the masda 323f. they are cheap. in scotland around �1300. but america i dont now tbh. but yeah *** cars are good for your money.

German cars are really good to. but they can cost alot to get and run.
Old 2007-08-19, 11:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Anything euro means more expensive maintinence.
Contrary to above, the one non-luxury euro make we get here, VW, offers standard equipment well above basically anyone.

Anyway, if your looking at the A4, put the a 1.8 turbo or VR6 VW Jetta GLi and the Passat on your list if you want a sedan the Golf GTi aswell. A bit less luxury(the last gen VW interiors are superb) and only front wheel drive(he passat can be had with the VR6 and 4motion though) but same engines.

Jeep = SUV, so you = confusing.

Oh yeah, Cars don't roll 6-7 time because of a pot hole, unless they're going at ridiculous velocity, didn't say it in the other thread, but needed to at sometime.

Also pertaining to this thread. Insurance fraud is a bad idea.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2007-08-19, 11:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Knightwyvern
First Sergeant

Like rob said, insurance fraud = not good.

Anyways, what exactly is you're price range in US $? (makes it easier for me to compare.) I know my way around cars, including buying and selling them so if you give me that price range I can probably help. I will say right off the bat: go Japanese or American. Euro is to pricey if anything breaks. Also, contrary to popular belief it's a good idea to go a little older with lower miles than the other way around. There are advantages to a newer higher mileage car, but it's usually the engine or transmission that give you the big problems and those types of things come about after the car has been driven about 60k miles or up (usually.) Basically the car can be a year old but if the previous owner spanked the hell outta it and racked up 40k miles, you're gonna have problems, versus an older car that has been babied and taken care of.
Old 2007-08-19, 01:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Peacemaker
Contributor
Major General

Ive got three cars on the road right now. My beater car which I wont even discuss, my Toyota Camery, and my Jeep Wrangler. I highly recommend a standard transmission as it gives you more control of the car, better gas mileage, and are less prone to failure (as long as you don't dump the clutch every day).

Jeeps are ridiculously reliable, the 4 cyl engines are pretty good on gas too, fun rides. Easy to work on, easy to customize, parts are available, and not too expensive. They also go FOREVER. My father has a 96 jeep with 350k miles on it. The transmission is starting to show its first signs of wear.

If you want a very reliable car I am going to recommend the Toyota Camery. Either the 6 or the 4 cyl are great. I have a 6 and the gas mileage is pretty good. Its got enough get up and go power and hasn't actually broken once. (Someone took my mirror off once). They keep ticking for a long time too. 2-300 k is no sweat as long as you do regular maintenance.
Old 2007-08-19, 10:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Giovanni
Colonel

Insurance fraud?

It's common practice for newer drivers around here to have the car insured under someone else and have them registered as secondary driver of the vehicle.

By jeep I meant "jeep" the brand jeep... haha... I hate soccer mom SUV's...

I still have a couple of months to go... no idea where I'm going still... I'll take pics thought. No intention of spending another damn minute walking in the winter time here.

I'm probably looking at around 30k for the car... I'll have it financed more or less so I don't have to pay it all upfront... I'll probably have 5k upfront for the darn thing thought...

I have nothing else to pay so why the hell not? My house isn't for until I have a steady job that pays good enough. Till then all I have are training bills, cell phone and my outings. (Wich amount to maybe 320$ per month)

I'm gonna sound mighty damn superficial but the reason why I was looking at this: http://www.carbodydesign.com/archive...3.2-DSG-lg.jpg

Was because of it's looks...

Like I said... (I think) I can get one with 94000km on it, perfect condition for around 26k.

Wich is damn good...

http://www.canadatrader.com/result/d...4&pgno=1&srt=1

I can probably negociate any potential sellers too. Of course I'm looking for reliable but... it helps when the car looks nice too... I got a thing for pretty things :P
Old 2007-08-19, 10:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

The V6 TT's are quite reliable, the VR6 motor is one of the cooler powerplants out there.
The 1.8t can be problematic with poorly maintained and heavily driven cars.(Which your kinda looking at with higher mileage new cars) All wheel drive adds a layer of complexity. Audi also have fairly expensive parts(As do all luxury makes)

How much do you even make a year? 24k US is a big chunk of change(I converted your figure), even if you make 50k a year which is a very good starting salary for a recent grad. You obviously make no where near as much. This would make a VERY VERY poor financial decision.
How long are you going to finance this thing, 5 years?
Unless you can do work yourself when things break I would not recommend any luxury make. You need older, dead reliable.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

Last edited by Rbstr; 2007-08-19 at 11:00 PM.
Old 2007-08-20, 04:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Kikinchikin

I own a 93 Honda Del Sol with 132k miles on it. I bought it for 5 G's 4 years ago with something like 80k miles on it. It hasn't broken down once on me. Honda makes very reliable cars, so if that's what you need, you could go that route (perhaps try a Civic or Accord if you want something more practical, mine's a 2 seater). Also Audis are relatively reliable as well but will cost more.
Old 2007-08-20, 09:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Giovanni
Colonel

Yeah I'm guessing around 4-5 years financing eh.

I'm working as a salesman so at worse I'm making around around 30k and the max I could see myself doing there is around 80k.
Old 2007-08-20, 09:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Yeah buying a 26k car with 4-5 years of interest when you have no idea what your really going to make is retarded.

You need to set the bar lower.

Last edited by Rbstr; 2007-08-20 at 09:43 AM.
Old 2007-08-20, 09:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Giovanni
Colonel

You do have a point I suppose... eh well... man ego down! I think I can get a civic or something like that for real cheap. From what I've heard from pretty much everyone it's one of the cars that's the cheapest to fix and it doesn't break down easy.

I'll have to check out the market. My big car ego will have to wait until my school is opened and running strong.
Old 2007-08-21, 08:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

I can get a 2005 Chrysler for 14k USD.

I love carmax.

Old 2007-08-21, 09:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Hamma
PSU Admin

Take advice from me who has gone upside down in several car loans

Make sure you take what you can afford, not what you might be able to afford. Once you are in a loan you are stuck, there is no getting out.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2007-08-21, 04:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Giovanni
Colonel

Rambo would say otherwise! He's the master of getting out of sticky situations! o
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge