PSU: Support your local MAX affilliate
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2012-06-11, 11:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
somers
Corporal

I Need Help Upgrading for PS2

I'm not too smart when it comes to PC upgrading so I will post my specs and hopefully you can tell me what needs upgrading, and what I should get...

Motherboard: Manufacturer- Pegatron Corp, Model- Benicia, Version- 1.01, serial#-MS1C8AR51604185
Processor: Intel Core Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40 GHz
RAM: 4 sticks of DDR2 memory (4 GB)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 240
Monitor: HP w1907 Wide LCD (1440x900)

(also tell me if I need to post any more info about my system)
Old 2012-06-11, 12:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Ieyasu
Staff Sergeant

Re: I Need Help Upgrading for PS2

advice here is going to vary based upon what kind of settings you like to play at. I myself like to max everything and jack up the eyecandy as much as possible. for something like that I would need to upgrade pretty much every component on your list of hardware you have provided. If however you are looking to get playable framerates without all the bells and whistles on your current monitors native resolution of 1440x900 you could probably just upgrade your video card to a newer generation of nvidia or amd gpu. Something like a 6850 or even gtx 460 would give you a noticable boost over your current gpu at a relatively affordable price.

we are supposedly close to beta getting underway so I would wait a couple weeks and when people get in on various hardware we can see what kind of performance they are getting and make a decision then when we are better informed about how ps2 is playing on older hardware.

edit: what power supply do you have in current rig? make and model would help, but even just a wattage rating would help out with giving advice on possible upgrade paths.

Last edited by Ieyasu; 2012-06-11 at 12:03 PM.
Old 2012-06-11, 12:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Your graphics card is terrible. There are some of options for you there.

For any more substantial upgrades you'll basically have to go for the full rebuild, mobo, cpu, ram, powersupply.

You need to come up with a budget for either option to get recommendations. (IMO, a mind of $250 for just graphics and ~1000 depending on what you want to keep for a full computer)
Really, any recommendation we give here right now is based off of nebulous concept of what works best for "pc gaming" not PS2 (or any other game) specific. We don't have hands on experience with it and only a little bit of info from devs.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

Last edited by Rbstr; 2012-06-11 at 12:28 PM.
Old 2012-06-11, 12:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

You can get away with a graphics card upgrade and keep with the Q6600. Though we need to know how much you want to spend plus the make and model of your psu (saying you have 500W doesn't cut it).

If you want a whole new computer please answer these questions.
Old 2012-06-11, 02:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
somers
Corporal

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
You can get away with a graphics card upgrade and keep with the Q6600. Though we need to know how much you want to spend plus the make and model of your psu (saying you have 500W doesn't cut it).

If you want a whole new computer please answer these questions.
I'm just looking for an upgrade, and im willing to spend 500-700 dollars. I need to check what my power supply is right now.
Old 2012-06-11, 08:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
somers
Corporal

As I was moving my computer from the side of my desk to underneath it, IT STOPPED WORKING!!! When I turned it on it turned out that i forgot to turn the outlet strip thing back on.

Is the power supply on the top of the computer or the side?

Last edited by somers; 2012-06-11 at 08:40 PM.
Old 2012-06-11, 08:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Ieyasu
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by somers View Post
As I was moving my computer from the side of my desk to underneath it, IT STOPPED WORKING!!! When I turned it on it turned out that i forgot to turn the outlet strip thing back on.

Is the power supply on the top of the computer or the side?
the power supply is the box with wires coming out of it that you plug the cable from your wall outlet into.

how it is mounted within your particular case can vary but they are usuallyg mounted inside the case on the top or bottom.

Last edited by Ieyasu; 2012-06-11 at 08:50 PM.
Old 2012-06-12, 01:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
somers
Corporal

Originally Posted by Ieyasu View Post
the power supply is the box with wires coming out of it that you plug the cable from your wall outlet into.

how it is mounted within your particular case can vary but they are usuallyg mounted inside the case on the top or bottom.
Yeah the outlet is on the top so i will open that... the only problem is how different this case is compared to normal ones. It is the default HP Pavilion case and it has some latch on the top, and some screws on the back...
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum