universal classes and weight - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Didn't I wear this shirt the day after yesterday?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2013-02-17, 01:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Ogre
Private

universal classes and weight

I played a lot of PS1, I also played a lot of rainbow six vegas. One kick ass Idea that could be carried over either in part or whole is weight. This would add a radical new dynamic to the game. The lighter you are, the faster you move, the higher you jump, the longer you can fly, the longer you can cloak.

So now we can add weight to weapons, and perhaps even armor value and weight to the cosmetic armor.

Lets take it a step further, we could get rid of all classes with this system. Each chunk of equipment weighs you down further, but we could have hybridized classes like medic/ engineer, or Jumpjet/ cloaker. Simply by mixing and matching kits.

Normally I would not post these kind of ideas, but it seems like PS2 is trying to improve itself, and i feel like this would be nice.
Old 2013-02-17, 03:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Rothnang
Major

Re: universal classes and weight

I think it would have been cool if they had made infantry much more modular, but it also presents a big balance issue.

Free build systems have one giant disadvantage, and that's the fact that if there is only a small number of really good builds they often end up being much more restrictive than class systems.
Old 2013-02-17, 09:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Rothnang View Post
Free build systems have one giant disadvantage, and that's the fact that if there is only a small number of really good builds they often end up being much more restrictive than class systems.
This idea of a cost based system for resources and min-maxing has been brought up a lot. The idea is basically to allow min-maxing, but restrict it with a resource system. Players could min-max, but it would be at the cost of specializing due to resource constraints. Basic overview of the idea and changes.

Not sure how I feel about a weight system. If we had a true PS1 system players would simply choose their armor ideally which would define their movement speed defense values.
Old 2013-02-17, 05:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
BIGGByran
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
weight to the cosmetic armor.
Bad idea. Cosmetic armor does not provide any benefit to the user another than cosmetic and now they are being punished for a cosmetic look.

If you look at stock character clothes, NC have "boxy/clunky" clothes, TR have "rounded/modern" clothes, and VS has "slick/high tech" clothes. And these cosmetic would make, by your definition of weights:

NC - Slow
TR - Average
VS - Fast

and by default give the NC the most disadvantage just based on cosmetics.
Old 2013-02-21, 05:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Chaff
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Seems like a no-brainer that anything "cosmetic" (decals, cammo, cosmetic armor, & ornaments) would add "zero weight".

Maybe cosmetic add-ons should not have been introduced. I like the idea of a weight-system, though sounds too complex to introduce now. They'd have to rebalance EVERYTHING.

,,,,,you could add weight-reduction certs...to allow some leeway in your builds......interesting idea that I doubt can be intoduced now that they're this far into the game programming.

Last edited by Chaff; 2013-02-21 at 05:22 PM.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault