News: Upcoming MLG Weekend Events - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Does a body good.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2013-06-25, 09:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
capiqu
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Re: Battle Islands to be revealed at MLG

It's The Battle Island(S) so nexus will be the first of most likely 4 islands comprising the continent of Oshur. this is exactly like Planetside1. Now if I remember correctly nexus was also an icy map this may be what they mean by it will be like Esamir. I also remember that it only had 1 base in PS1 and that was on it's center. If I heard Higby right the new Nexus will have 7 outpost.

Now I read somewhere that Oshur In PS2 will look exactly like the one on PS1 is that true?

Last edited by capiqu; 2013-06-25 at 09:20 PM.
Old 2013-06-25, 10:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by capiqu View Post
It's The Battle Island(S) so nexus will be the first of most likely 4 islands comprising the continent of Oshur. this is exactly like Planetside1. Now if I remember correctly nexus was also an icy map this may be what they mean by it will be like Esamir. I also remember that it only had 1 base in PS1 and that was on it's center. If I heard Higby right the new Nexus will have 7 outpost.

Now I read somewhere that Oshur In PS2 will look exactly like the one on PS1 is that true?
Yes. Apperently Old Oshur. But it will come after Hossin and Searhus, so dont expect it this year. :/
Old 2013-06-26, 03:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
SternLX
Sergeant

The size of the battle islands was already answered in a Command Center episode iirc. Something about them being the same size as the VR area.
Old 2013-06-26, 04:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
MrMak
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by GreyFrog View Post
If its battle islands like a continent of islands or a chain of islands to fight over normally and they just restrict it for MLG.....it actually sounds awesome.
From what they said they plan to use the islands as arenas for MLG limited to 2 factions with 48 players each. Later they will be iincluded in to the continent locking mechanic as a sort of buffer between continents.

Last edited by MrMak; 2013-06-26 at 04:32 AM.
Old 2013-06-26, 05:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
ringring
Contributor
General

I think you're being a bit previous to say that BI are basically Oshur.

Hasn't Higby said they're bring back original Oshur anyway with the layout very similar?

In any case BI are built for 48 vs 48 matches. We have no idea if they can be properly integrated into a PS world or whether they'll be kept to one side as stand-alone for challenge matches between outfits or team.
Old 2013-06-26, 08:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

I'll be honest. I am really not a fan of MLG at all and it kind of pisses me off that all this work they put into these islands could of better been used to well.... work on Hossin or improve the current game even more. I really feel this whole slide towards MLG has been the bane of us seeing updates/improvements coming in at a faster rate.

Last edited by Hmr85; 2013-06-26 at 09:33 AM.
Old 2013-06-26, 08:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
CrimsonTemplar
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by basti View Post
Yes. Apperently Old Oshur. But it will come after Hossin and Searhus, so dont expect it this year. :/
Actually Oshur Prime is scheduled to come out, after Hossin and before Searhus. That's what Higby said in that PC Gamer article a few months back.

The Article quote again (from PC Gamer UK Issue 252):

'After Hossin comes Oshur, a continent that SOE are billing as a direct throwback to the first Planetside. "The idea was to make it follow the roadmap of [the original] as much as possible", Higby says. "The roads are in the same locations, facilities are roughly in the same locations so it plays very similarly. Interesting just to see how that would feel, to take a Planetside-oriented map and put it into Planetside 2. It seemed like a fun experiment.'

Last edited by CrimsonTemplar; 2013-06-26 at 08:52 AM.
Old 2013-06-26, 09:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Assist
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Hmr85 View Post
I'll be honest. I am really not a fan of MLG at all and it kind of pisses me off that all this work they put into these islands could of better been used to...well work on Hossin or improve the current game even more. I really feel this whole slide towards MLG has been the bane of us seeing updates/improvements coming in at a faster rate.
What bugs me is we were told it was a separate group working on the MLG stuff and it wouldn't slow down development on the core game, but this has turned out to be a lie.
Old 2013-06-26, 09:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Vashyo
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Hmr85 View Post
I'll be honest. I am really not a fan of MLG at all and it kind of pisses me off that all this work they put into these islands could of better been used to...well work on Hossin or improve the current game even more. I really feel this whole slide towards MLG has been the bane of us seeing updates/improvements coming in at a faster rate.
Exactly, everything gets pushed back over and over and the game is as repetitive as ever. And we just need to have some MLG thingy so the 1% of hardest of the hardcore can play and watch MLG.
Old 2013-06-26, 10:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Hamma
PSU Admin

Higby made it sound like these new areas would be available to everyone during the E3 streams. Hopefully we will hear more this weekend.

The only thing (imo) that has been delayed as a result of this work is Hossin. Everything else has been going well, only we can complain about the massive updates we get every GU

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-06-26, 10:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Assist
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
The only thing (imo) that has been delayed as a result of this work is Hossin. Everything else has been going well, only we can complain about the massive updates we get every GU
I think some of us are used to larger 'content' updates than what we've seen with PS2. Maybe they just have a small development team, but most of the updates we get are just tuning, balancing, and bug fixing.

For instance I don't consider adding 6 weapons to a game when there's already dozens to be a massive content update. The update where we had nothing but gun balancing for infantry I wouldn't even consider a content update. I'll give you the Harasser as a content update, and the lattice as a massive update. But I wouldn't call every GU to be massive and most of them haven't even been content driven updates.

Maybe we are greedy, or maybe we just acknowledge there's a large difference between content, bug fixing, balancing, and art updates. Content adds to the existing game, the rest just update things that should of been fixed before. We haven't had many content updates that would be considered massive, IMO.
Old 2013-06-26, 10:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
capiqu
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Well my confusion was which Oshur was Higby talking about when he said that they will try to bring Oshur to PS2 as much as possible to the original. So was it Oshur(Battle Islands) or the original Oshur. I'm getting from you guys that it was the original so I'll go with that.

Old 2013-06-26, 10:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Hamma
PSU Admin

Originally Posted by Assist View Post
Maybe we are greedy, or maybe we just acknowledge there's a large difference between content, bug fixing, balancing, and art updates. Content adds to the existing game, the rest just update things that should of been fixed before. We haven't had many content updates that would be considered massive, IMO.
"Content" can literally be defined as almost anything. The amount of improvements on the UI level among many other things have been pretty large and take significant amounts of time. Continents and Maps take even more time therefore you don't get those every update. So yes, we are greedy. Bi-weekly updates are pretty consistent and often times are sweeping updates to many different aspects of the game.

Your definition of "Content" seems to be more maps.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-06-26, 11:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
GeoGnome
First Sergeant

yeah hold up a moment, my understanding of things, was that the Battle islands were separate from other cotinents, not Oshur. Oshur would be something else entirely.
Old 2013-06-26, 11:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Hamma
PSU Admin

Upcoming MLG Weekend Events

http://www.planetside-universe.com/n...vents-3040.htm
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion