Nanite Systems Helmet - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: We need more cowbell
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2013-07-12, 06:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Gatekeeper
Sergeant Major

Re: Nanite Systems Helmet

Originally Posted by Timealude View Post
i honestly never got this argument, i feel the IFF in the game is pretty good..i honestly dont think the same helmets are going to make it hard to tell the difference between friend and foe.
Personally I'd say the IFF functions of the UI are ok at best, they're certainly nothing to write home about and don't always work well.

Even when they do work perfectly, the problem is that people still base their first impression mostly on what the character looks like to work out if it's a threat or not - which makes sense, since you need to work out what class they are, what weapon they have, whether they've noticed you or not, etc.

Having to do that initial assessment of the character, and then do a second check for the colour of the triangle over their head slows you down, and makes it more likely an enemy will get the drop on you. So people either rush it and end up shooting friendlies, or they take their time and enemies start firing first.

This makes the game more difficult and annoying for everyone (nobody likes being TKed), and it's really frustrating since it would have been very easy to avoid by just following some sensible design guidlines:

1) Make character silhouettes distinctive by faction. I.e. the general outline of a TR soldier should be distinctive at a glance, and hard to confuse with an NC or VS one.

2) Make sure that a distinctive faction-specific colour dominates all camo patterns. Don't make camos that are mostly white, green, grey or whatever with some little flashes of faction colour - make sure all characters have large, clear panels of blue, yellow, purple, teal or red on them at all times.

3) Make sure that camo-patterns never use colours normally associated with the other factions. No purplish camo for NC, no yellow camo for VS, etc. VS giraffe camo is a classic example of how bad PS2 is at this.

4) Make cosmetic items clearly faction-specific: don't have masks or helmets that are basically the same for all factions. Give each faction a specific, distinct flavour. Things like the distinctive VS infiltrator helm and the Protoss helms based on it are a great example of this, whereas maniac masks or this new NS helm are the opposite extreme.

tl;dr - people mix up friends and foe all the damn time in this game, new players especially. This is due to bad art direction, which this new helmet will only make worse.

Old 2013-07-12, 07:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Not that big of a deal if it's just a helmet, but I "fear" that if this helmet sells alot then they are going to make NS armour to match. Which is where I draw the line. Picture an entire NS set with camo that looks the same for all factions... Have fun with that:/ As such, I agree completely that having NS armour sets are a very bad idea and I would rather that they just don't make any NS helmets. (Simply because I don't trust SOE to not want to) I also feel like it goes a bit against the lore of each faction.

Besides that it looks really good but it also looks too much like a VS helmet to fit either the NC or TR.

Edit: Also no matter if TRay agrees with it or not, that helmet will confuse some people if the head of said person is the only visible part, because of certain camos.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.

Last edited by ChipMHazard; 2013-07-12 at 07:19 AM.
Old 2013-07-12, 07:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
OmegaPREDATOR
Corporal

Originally Posted by ChipMHazard View Post
Edit: Also no matter if TRay agrees with it or not, that helmet will confuse some people if the head of said person is the only visible part, because of certain camos.
And you don't see the camo for SOE Live (according to Vanu Labs). TK POWA !!!

Originally Posted by VanuLabs
This is probably the "High Roller" camo that will also be available for those attending SOE Live. I assume these are still WIP as the color schemes for the three factions are very similar.
And another NS helmet (color are changing a little between faction - will see with a camo).

Last edited by OmegaPREDATOR; 2013-07-12 at 07:54 AM.
Old 2013-07-12, 08:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Whiteagle
Major

Originally Posted by OmegaPREDATOR View Post
And another NS helmet (color are changing a little between faction - will see with a camo).
Ok that one I like, simply because it LOOKS Nanite Systems Issue.
It's all blocky and knobby, plus it has a ridiculous number of Optics crammed on it.
Old 2013-07-12, 08:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Snip
By Higby's Hair there's some creature on his face!

That helmet does kinda remind me of something...

"SOE. We need to have a little chat."

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2013-07-12, 05:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Dougnifico
First Lieutenant

No NS helmets. Keep the factions distinct and give this to the VS. Looks good, but its VS.
Old 2013-07-12, 09:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
SternLX
Sergeant

Wow, whatta bunch of asshats in here. I guaren-goddamn-teeya, if the trim color in the pic was Red you have just as many asshats screaming "OMGz, it so obviously TR!"

They put out new gear and you'd think it's "game over man, game over!" with the lot of you whingers.
Old 2013-07-13, 12:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Chowley
Corporal

That camo, christ they need to send some artists off on holidays they are obviously worn out from reskinning the gun models .

Although I do really love the look of the NS helmets they should not be in game.

The original looks like VS, give it to VS.
The Sandpeople look fits NC (in my head, i cannae explain) So.....
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2013-07-13, 01:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Evil Redrum
PlanetSide 2
Artist

Please note that the nc and tr helmets aren't showing textures properly.
Old 2013-07-13, 05:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by SternLX View Post
Wow, whatta bunch of asshats in here. I guaren-goddamn-teeya, if the trim color in the pic was Red you have just as many asshats screaming "OMGz, it so obviously TR!"
Has nothing to do with the colour at all. The helmet design just looks like a VS helmet. Only thing that makes it look like a TR helmet is the tubing for what I guess is supposed to be a rebreather/gas mask.

Also I'm going to let you ponder over what you can do with said hat comment next time you find yourself disagreeing with other posters. Here's a hint... It involves your bum.

They put out new gear and you'd think it's "game over man, game over!" with the lot of you whingers.
Here's the thing, I don't have much of a problem with it just staying at helmets. However my concerns arise when I factor in how some camo has worked so far and as we all know there are some camos that make different factions look very much alike, palette wise. I've never had an issue with that personally since I look for the silhouette. That is also the reason why I draw the line at NS helmets.
Yes, people shouldn't jump to the conclusion that we will be seeing NS armour as well, seeing as we don't know if that will happen.

Last edited by ChipMHazard; 2013-07-13 at 10:32 AM.
Old 2013-07-13, 10:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Shamrock
Contributor
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by ChipMHazard View Post
However my concerns arise when I factor in how some camo has worked so far and as we all know there are some camos that make different facrtions look very much alike, palette wise.
I can think of a handful of players who im sure have combined certain camo patterns with one of the skull/ski mask helmets which on a light assault model can make you pause for a split second before shooting, which in a game with a TTK like PS2 is all they need to give them an edge, NS helmets will not help this unless the trim is a fat red/yellow/purple stripe that is not obscured by camo.

However if we are just talking about the designs them selves i think they look great.

Last edited by Shamrock; 2013-07-14 at 10:07 AM.
Old 2013-07-13, 11:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Falcon_br
Captain

This will be great! I already have some camouflages to use while attacking the NC to make then confuse about my faction, but I can´t do that while attacking the Vanu!
With that helmet everything will be perfect!

In planetside since the close beta of the first game!
Outfit Brasileira de Planetside 2
Old 2013-07-13, 02:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

I have to agree - NS helmet and (presumably) armour is a bad move when they are trying to differentiate the empires further.

What I would like to see is empire specific customisations for NS vehicles.
Old 2013-07-14, 01:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Plaqueis
Staff Sergeant

+1.

Personally, i can't wait for more NS stuff in game, be it weapons or gear. I hardly use anything but NS weapons (11a, 11c, 15a, 357, 44, Lightning) cause imo they're far more effective than VS specific stuff. I don't know about the helmet, but when the NS SMG comes, i'll probably get that too although i do love my Sirius...
Old 2013-07-14, 08:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Sarloh
Corporal

I don't like this helmet so much. It's more VS, a bit NC but TR? Possibly with some armor in it's style to go with it.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion