PS 2 Flight Dynamics - Galaxys and Barrel Rolls (Video) - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: PUT YOUR HEAD BACK IN THAT BUCKET!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-09-07, 09:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Zekeen
Major

Cool PS 2 Flight Dynamics - Galaxys and Barrel Rolls (Video)

Hey guys, haven't posted here in forever, too busy shoving my face into the beta. Anyways, I've decided to share a bit on flight dynamics with PS2 and how utterly amazing they are.

Skill is a big thing to Planetside players both new and old. We want to be able to do things few will try as a result of our effort and skill put into doing it. The flight mechanics of PS2 go well beyond those of PS1 and allow for all sorts of maneuvers to be performed... that is, if you are using a fighter craft. It is generally considered difficult or even near impossible for larger craft, being the Liberator and Galaxy, to perform many "stunts", "tricks", or evasive maneuvers, relying on tail gunners to keep them safe.

While pondering over that, I came across an old thread in PSU, talking about Galaxys and barrel rolls and how the trailer had the disabled Galaxy do a barrel roll on its crash to the ground. Most of the talk was how Galaxy barrel rolls are, or nearly, impossible. That old thread is here http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=45859 in case you are feeling nostalgic to see what the old consensus is on the subject.

After taking a day to fiddle with controls and flight, I discovered how deep the flight dynamics go and how much control a player has over his aircraft. This is my video, and my verdict on PS2 flight - Your Galaxy CAN, in fact, do a barrel roll! (without crashing toward the ground)

For the record, most of the time a Galaxy isn't right side up, it plummets, but using every control you can, and giving it your all, your can do the impossible!

Having no sound (PS2 recording bug), I spent 4 hours tying to add in some Planetside music to keep it more interesting. Hope you guys enjoy.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WHiFcD6Ezu4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Controls with a mouse and keyboard are great with the game, but for stunt work, it makes it very difficult to spin a Galaxy. I can only hope not revealing my flight secrets cause a hoard of Terran and Vanu Galaxys to crash and burn attempting this. NC Galaxys will be considered collateral damage. All enemy pilots succeeding this only make Auraxis more radical.

Last edited by Zekeen; 2012-09-07 at 09:02 PM.
Old 2012-09-07, 10:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info
Re: PS 2 Flight Dynamics - Galaxys and Barrel Rolls (Video)

And now, please to an ACTUAL barrel roll...
Old 2012-09-07, 11:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Zekeen
Major

Originally Posted by basti View Post
And now, please to an ACTUAL barrel roll...
If you're saying they aren't perfect barrel rolls, that's because you're paying too much attention to the 3rd person rolls. It's REALLY hard to control in third person since your aircraft is spinning and not your camera. In first person I do it without tilting each time, unless I'm aiming to fly upside down for a bit, which actually requires a tilt up or I would lose altitude at a noticeable speed. You'll notice I have to shift into first person while trying to show a 3rd person roll whenever I have trouble finishing the roll. It probably would be a lot easier to barrel roll in 3rd person if joysticks worked, but they don't yet. Once they enable joystick support, barrel rolls might be 3 or more times faster to do with a Galaxy. I have to roll my mouse at least a dozen times to get it to roll all the way as is.
Old 2012-09-08, 02:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Captain1nsaneo
Major

Misc Info

Eh, I have more experience with the lib than I do the gal but I find that unless you invert it's pretty hard to lose altitude. I tailwalk regularly to give my bomber a shot on enemy aircraft. Only problem is figuring out where the heck I'm being shot from.
Old 2012-09-08, 02:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Zekeen
Major

The Liberator is a LOT more agile than the Galaxy. It spins faster and loses a lot less altitude when upside down. I like to fly upside down (still gotta point up a bit to maintain altitude) and see if my gunner can hit anything above us. So far I have yet to get up with an outfit member who is as addicted to shooting down aircraft with cannons as I am, so I don't know the total effectiveness of it yet.

Using the high mobility of the ways I figured out though allow me to practically turn 180 degree in an instant and let my tail gunner get more shooting time though. The difficulty and potential of flight is really shining for PS2 though. Perfect balance if ya ask me.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion