Guns - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: It is October 08, 2006. When will it appear?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Old 2013-02-24, 06:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
benjaminbenjami
Private

Guns

new player, watched prob over an hour of youtube vids and played a couple of hours, so my question is about which guns to unlock? I am playing as Vanu and TR, i have looked up the spreadsheet on all the guns as far as damage goes, etc.. but the problem is usually guns that i think will be awesome in other FPS, after i unlock them i find out they aren't and usually end up with a gun that i wouldn't have normally.. in most FPS (cod, BF, etc..) it really doesn't matter because you will unlock them all, but obviously in PS2 i don't want to waste certs for a gun i use for 10 minutes and then never use again... usually run with light assault and heavy assault and a little infiltrator... i have searched quite a bit and i am sorry if this has been covered, but....

are there some guns that are generally considered "better" (yes i understand everyone has their preference, but in every FPS, there are some that most people consider better)?

What "scopes", etc.. is the best to unlock, is reflex "better" than red dot, etc..?

if you could go back to when you first started what would you unlock first? (seems to read about people really talking about the annihilator)

thanks again... this game is very overwhelming to a noob and i don't want to waste any certs at all! thanks again..
Old 2013-02-24, 06:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Hamma
PSU Admin

Re: Guns

Honestly most guns are based on playstyle. There's always top guns that people like but I'd use the trial system and see what you like.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-02-24, 07:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
OCNSethy
Major

As Hamma said, it depends on your play style.

I think we all have a little box with our unlocked guns that we will never use again.

I prefer the HV/NV scope from my guns. I find it easier to see my target without all the background clutter. I like the 10x for my RAM .05M.

Speaking of Infiltrators. If you decide you want to play this class, get yourself a bolt action rifle. The RAM and M77B are good choices.

As a TR HA, I use the MSW-R over the Carv. I find it handles a bit better but it does only have half the clip of a carv. The T7 Mini gun with laser sight is awesome for close in work with large group. Be advised it does take a second or two too cycle up before firing.

TR LA / Engie I use the T5 AMC

BUT, the stock weapons do just as well.

Weapons are all well and good but dont forget to cert into things like nano armour and resist shields. Med kits are great too.

Take your time, let someone else charge into the room first and remember, you do have nades,,, use them

Good luck,
Old 2013-02-25, 07:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Neutral Calypso
Sergeant Major

Seeing as this thread is rather new and I didn't see anyone pounce on these guns yet...

You may wish to consider the SMGs and the shotguns as well. I have heard very good things about the Pandora, for example, and though I suspect the TR equivalent, the nighthawk, is inferior, it has served me well from time to time.

Bear in mind though, that you will want to upgrade any guns you get. This means reflex sites or NV sites (unless you got the gun for longer range), laser sites or fore grips, compensators or silencers, etc.

For a shotgun, for instance, you may want an NV site, extended magazine, and fore-grip. An SMG might need a reflex site and a laser site (or an extended magazine if that's your thing).

At some point I think I might write a newb's guide to certs...
Old 2013-02-26, 01:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
CraazyCanuck
First Sergeant

Pandora is a weapon I recently returned to from the SMG. Both are good in their own right.

I personally prefer the nv scope on the SMG in combination with an extended mag (must have imo), suppressor and soft ammo. I is use it on my infiltrator extensively as I like to work behind enemy lines and it does right by me.

I've tried the Pandora with slug ammo and without. I prefer without for improved CQC. I give up range but its easy enough to switch out when I am moving out of a base.

As previously stated, use that trial system. Hold those certs till you find one that really shines for you and don't be hasty. I was and have regretted some of my decisions.

The default guns are good but some may not offer the extras you be may be looking for. When you trial a gun take a look at its certification upgrades. SF weapons like the Solstice SF offers a plethora of options that can fill any given situation from Underbarrel Grenade Launcher, Underbarrel Shotgun, Underbarrel Smoke grenade. I've used this weapon the most and while it is not the most powerful weapon straight up, it has amazing utility.

Last edited by CraazyCanuck; 2013-02-26 at 01:03 PM.
Old 2013-02-26, 01:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
CraazyCanuck
First Sergeant

Sorry re-read your post and forgot to add in:

I was going to start over I would have put my certs into upgrade my classes abilities and utilities first over upgrading my weapons. As I stated previously the default weapons are fine.

I have the annhilator and I would gladly trade it for a dedicated air lock launcher now with its changes. I would recommend you stay away from it, as the lock times and pathing make it extremely frustrating to use.

I wouldn't bother with a lock on ground launcher unless you have certs to spare but a lot of that depends on how you play your HA. I prefer cqc and the S1 serves me just fine for ground vehicles and the less time your waiting for a lock the less time your exposed to the possibility of enemy fire.

Old 2013-02-26, 02:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

As concerns NC
For the majority of players - they will do better if they dont use the starter guns or at least not at the start.
Old 2013-02-26, 06:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
MrMak
Sergeant Major

If you are NC i can honestly say you cant go wrong with the GD-22S for the Heavy Assault. It only costs 100 certs and while it only has a 50 bullet mag it reloads fast (for an LMG) has a high rate of fire, and small recoil. wors well ad mid and close range. Any attachments beyond a reflex or 2xreflex sight are sort of an uncecesary luxury. I onl recently got the Laser sight for it for better hipfire acuracy.

The EM1 is another great choice for cloase quarters though ridicoulusly times as expensive in terms of certs when compared to the DG-22's 100 certs. The EM1 has slightly lower damage per shot and slower reload than the GD but ti has a higher fireing rate and 100 shot mag with the option to install extended mags for a rididcoulus 200. If i remeber correctly it also has the potion to install soft point ammo which will decrese bulet elocity but increase damage on mid range.

For long range the default NC6 Gauss SAW is probably one of the best LMGs in the game. Personaly i have a compensator, high velocity ammo a foregrip and 6X scope on it and i can sometimes outsnipe infiltraters with single shot over very long distances though depending on your preferences you might want to opt for one of the 4x scopes instead. You jsut have to get use to the huge upwards recoil, learn to compensate for it and adjust the lenght of the burst to range.

Overall i would advise you to get the GD-22 for a start since its a good all around and its cheap. Practice with the Gauss SAW now and then untill you feel you can use it more regularly and have the certs to outfit it properly.

Last edited by MrMak; 2013-02-26 at 06:19 PM.
Old 2013-02-26, 09:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
benjaminbenjami
Private

maybe a dumb question, but what is the "trial system"?
Old 2013-02-26, 10:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
OCNSethy
Major

Originally Posted by benjaminbenjami View Post
maybe a dumb question, but what is the "trial system"?
No dumb questions, just dumb answers

A trial system is where you get the gun for a trial period and if you like it, then by it. That way, no wasted certs.

The trail is linked with a character or toon, the downside is the trial period is not that long. Also, you can not equip the trial weapon with sights or different ammo.

What some people are doing is making a "test character" and just leave them to gain passive certs. They then unlock a weapon or some such equipment.

This way, you dont spend your main chars certs. Downside, it will take awhile to get the certs by saving passively.
Old 2013-02-27, 05:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Koadster
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Ghoest9 View Post
As concerns NC
For the majority of players - they will do better if they dont use the starter guns or at least not at the start.
I dont understand why people keep thinking this.. the Guass Rifle and Mercenary are sick !! Also when certed the Gauss Saw is better then a certed carv due to highest lmg dmg coupled with adv foregrip and compensator.

MuNrOe : Eat a Dick sandwich TR
Old 2013-03-05, 11:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Takoita
Private

Originally Posted by OCNSethy View Post
No dumb questions, just dumb answers

A trial system is where you get the gun for a trial period and if you like it, then by it. That way, no wasted certs.

The trail is linked with a character or toon, the downside is the trial period is not that long. Also, you can not equip the trial weapon with sights or different ammo.

What some people are doing is making a "test character" and just leave them to gain passive certs. They then unlock a weapon or some such equipment.

This way, you dont spend your main chars certs. Downside, it will take awhile to get the certs by saving passively.
And you somehow forget to mention how to use said system

To the original question: said very useful option is available in the very same menu you get to purchase your new weapons (either with certs or SC - doesn't matter). When you choose one of the weapons in your cert menu and click on the golden "UNLOCK" button, you get a window that's asking for confirmation - that's where that helpful button will be. Look for it down below.
Old 2013-03-21, 04:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
npfang
Private

怎么才可以。快速的潜入敌后。
Old 2013-03-21, 06:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by npfang View Post
怎么才可以。快速的潜入敌后。
Please write your question in english

Am I right in thinking that you're asking how do you sneak behind enemy lines?

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.

Last edited by ChipMHazard; 2013-03-21 at 06:08 AM.
Old 2013-03-21, 08:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Neutral Calypso
Sergeant Major

飞 ESF。使用车辆隐身。将渗入者。使用� �端。

(Babelfishing baby. Babelfishing.)

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions